Slappy Time...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 12, 2005.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

At least I didnt call him Mia.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...some of the responses in here highlight my concerns for this coming season. It sounds as though people would rather get what they want (be it coaches, PT for their guy, or gameplans they like) rather than win and by Win I'm only talking title. Of course there will be regular season wins and a playoff round or two, but IMHO I just don't think this team is getting better with it's changes, it's moving back into the pack of competitive teams that just don't quite make it over the hump.

There were specifics that I watched for during last nights game (preseason or not) and I saw quite a few things that were mirror images of what was being done here before LB that DID NOT work. Sure some methods are not going to cause you to lose 82 games because of the largely talented roster we have, but in the long run, these things will not get the job done.

- too many jumpshots
    - an offense with 4 of the 5 guys on the perimeter (Cola)
    - few post ups
    - tossing up quick shots that turn into fastbreaks for the opponent
    - a defensive scheme that consists of chasing the ball instead of defending your man (Cola)
    - passing the ball around until there's 4 secs on the shot clock and then rushing a jumper
    - having one guy (Arroyo) dribble the ball for 18 secs of the shot clock looking for a way in the lane.

Indeed I am worried about these things because they are strategies and come directly from the coach. With our "previous coach" these strategies were sound and worked in most situations. I'm pretty sure Shaq and Kobe would NOT have 3 rings if Mo Cheeks was coaching. This team is not good enough to just have any idiot on the sidelines, just rolling out the balls. I like this team, I like the players, I don't like the coach, and I don't like the direction it seems he'll be taking this team in.

Anytime he's asked about the defense all he can spit out is: "Well, this team has always been great defensively so that mindstate won't change." It will if he doesn't focus on it and I'm tired of hearing him say that. He seems content to think these guys will just go out and continue to be solid on D without any instruction (i.e. coaching) and playing a zone.

So sue me for not waving the red and blue pom poms and branding the soft edged "P" on my backside.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How much money would it take to get you to do that? :eyebrows:

I'm so tired, I'm giddy. Please forgive me.

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

How much you got?

5. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

valid concerns, but to assume the "face" of the team was revealed in 1 preseason game is quite presumptuous. remember, this was a game where Sheed led our starters with 24 minutes and Tayshaun played 19 minutes.

i say, let's see the new-look Pistons for a month or so during the regular season to judge whether or not things "won't work".

remember the slow start last season? what about our championship season? people were jumping ship prior to the All-star break and Sheed trade back in '04. please don't tell me you're panicking after 1 preseason game.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

27 assists in the FIRST preseason game, and what 12 blocks? holding chicago to 76 points?

i'm not gonna call us the champions right now, but the Pistons WERE pretty sweet for their first game.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yeal low 27 assists on your first preseason game witha new coach. Not many teams can do that.
    As for lb's. Almost every team he left didn't do as well the next season, but this is different we didn't change our roster drastically, and unlike his other teams this team won a championship. I think they know what it takes to do it again.

So what would you rather have:
    lb, and tired starters or...
    flip, fresh starters in playoffs, and extra 10 or 15 points from the bench, 4 or 5 extra assists from the bench, extra 8 or 9 boards from the bench, and an extra 3 or 4 blocks for the bench

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Amen. :thumb:

9. MotownPride

Didn't see the game, but if what you are saying is correct...this post could be very prophetic.

10. papaman

papaman Second Round Draft Pick

You can tell

who the LB lovers are, one preseason game and Flip is doing everything wrong; he hasn't even installed all of the offensive schemes or defensive schemes yet and you're screaming about too many jumpshots, over dribbling, chasing your man instead of guarding him, etc.; give it a rest Low and your buddy Micro, at least let get through the preseason and see a finished product before you predict doom and gloom; also try checking out other club's sites, I have, and they are ALSO full of optimism, it's the start of a new season, everybody is happy, enjoy it

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The Low

Low you man 50 grand and all but I think you're seeing grey clouds where there are none.
    -27 assists means we are still sharing the ball.
    -While we allowed Chi alot of offensive rebs, Ben and Sheed did their usual on the boards (remember Tyson has owned us on the boards in the past, he really gets up to play Ben) the off rebs need to be focused on Tay, Rip and CB, they forgot how to help the Bigguns up front, like LB made them do.
    -Contrary to what you saw, this is nothing like those Cola teams, we didn't hoist alot of 3's, and their is alot of cutting to the basket, not a great deal of traditional posting, but alot of cut posting, Darko and Sheed will benefiit from that, because neither do GREAT job of establishing post position, nor do our guards feed the post well.

Low ease up, Flip has only been schooling this team for a week, a better gauge will be our first road pre-season game. They ran a few plays well, and they ran a few plays bad, but isn't that what you expect a week into TC in pre-season game #1.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

more fouls than blocks is the norm in the nba. why point this out?? mcdyess had more fouls than blocks in game 7 of the finals did he have a bad game?? he also played heavy minutes with 5 fouls and stayed in the game.

13. bball jay

it's time to put down the catheter and put on a ben fro and join the rest of the fans in being happy with a win. i can't wait to see your response when we lose a game. you were really reaching when you pointed out the problems you saw.

1. we are a jump shooting team. never had a post presence.
    2. 4 of 5 guys on perimeter = spacing and guys playing in thier comfort zone.
    3. few traditional post ups. but we were getting post position off cuts. watch darko closely he gets position very low because of movement.
    4. our defense looked pretty good. i don't know what you are complaining about. we had steals, blocks, deflections, shot clock violations. we just didn't rebound well.
    5. yeah. we passed the ball around and got plenty of assists.
    6. yeah yeah. arroyo pounds the ball but he gets people open shots too. that's his specialty

none of this is too different from the last 2 years when we went to the finals. i don't see anything that would have me predicting doom and gloom.

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Sorry bballjay

Actually, I thought Darko played OK from what I've heard, but I don't see the point in getting excited about 7 points and 5 fouls in 24 minutes. The four blocks is actually quite good. Some people would point out that's eight blocks in a full game. And 10 fouls.

15. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

thelow

Sue us for being happy/slappy/excited Kool-aid drinking sheep!!!!!!!!

You know what the other day one of your post irritated me so I checked and in most of the posts you have made are negative. In short they all basically say that LB is god and that Flip sucks and the team will lose. I am tired of the negative attitude you put into this forum. I understand pointing out some things that the team did wrong but wtf whose side are you on?????

I could be wrong but to sit there and say that everyone else outside of the d thinks we suck is not true.

The way I see it there are 3 types of fans out there 1 a fan, 2 a hater, or 3 a bandwagoner. The third pisses me off the most. It is simple get off the fence and pick a side, and right now looking at your posts you are a 2 or 3.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's good to see you are consistent. :P

Reading is fundamental. Nuff said.

17. Abe Froemen

People are just glad to see our #2 pick actually get used period. To see him get pt score play defense means we didn’t throw a #2 pick away. It is not like they have started putting his name on the all-star ballot or anything, just a little love for the kid. Would you rather the kid just sat for 2 more years??

18. MotownPride

wow, Abe. I dunno if it is warranted to attack Low because he is pessimistic about the changes made to our team. He is obviously a devote fan seeing that he has contributed his time to be one of the Admins on the site. Are you a bandwagoner just because you don't approve of the direction the team is going in? I disagree with that thought. You are a bandwagoner if you pull for a team after it is successful. I don't think Low's desire to see the team succeed and win a championship is a question. There's nothing wrong with saying show me the money. The only thing you will be able to call Low on is his thoughts on how successful Flip will be with our team. He has been very off the fence in that regard. Pistons-Hater? no. Flip-Hater? perhaps.

19. bball jay

in comparison to multiple dnpcd's or 2 minutes of garbage time. i think 7 points, 4 blocks, multiple shot alterations, 5 fouls, 4 rebounds, 2 assists plus a win that he was a major part of is something to get excited about. we simply haven't seen our # 2 pick play. we all thought he could now he's showing on the court that he can. just think ahead for a minute and imagine what kind of impact this would have when we are simply impervious to foul trouble on our frontline. we are excited about a mixture of potential and results.

the thing that has me excited is that he did not have a good game. this wasn't a career type game this was just the tip of the iceberg. he missed easy shots, missed free throws, bobbled a couple of rebounds, went for a few pump fakes. with playing time he is only going to get better.

20. Abe Froemen

ok he is a mod

I get pointing out flaws but check his posts. Like I said most are negative. Heck start a whole thread on the fact that you did not like what you saw in 1 freakin PRESEASON game, give me a break