1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Situational Players

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Oct 8, 2005.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

First, after reading the article about Artest bulking up to 275 pounds (he was 240/250 before) I was initially shocked and scared to have that much bulk bullying Prince in the post. But then I had a revelation. In the same matter as signing Elder and Davis as Shaq stoppers I am now 100% sure that the drafting of Maxiel was a specific move in defense of Artest. That draft is classic Dumars handpicking a player for a certain situational case. This is why I think the Pistons have been so succesful. Though the starting 5 is awesome, it is this utilization of the bench spots that I think puts Dumars into another level as a manager. These moves are what makes the Pistons bench so flexible and unique. I like it much better than the Carlisle "2 squads" philosophy.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah, I agree... Jmax could give Artest a nogie and Artest will have to look the other way... big brother has the magnifying glass out on Ron Ron.
    :banplease

3. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Artest gainng that much weight might just help us out.. who's there number one defender on RIP? well i just don't see the ticking time bomb being able to keep up with the jack rabbit. and were all assumnig he makes it though the season with all eyes on him.... which i think means one of two things happens. 1. he going to blow up and miss more game time again. or 2. he's going to be a less aggresive on defense.. and both things along with his weight make me think he's going to be less effective

4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Jackson's actually an underrated defender for the Pacers, so it's not like Artest is all they've got. But you don't like all your best defenders to be hotheads. They're supposed to get the other guy frustrated.

I don't think the Pistons drafted Maxiell specifically because of Artest, but for a larger need. Last year they lacked physical toughness -- a hard-nosed enforcer who'd scrap and fight and get his hands dirty without crying about it. For that reason I was hoping Joey Graham might last until our spot in the draft, but Maxiell was a great alternative.

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

don't you guys never wonder how athletes put up that much in such a short time? This league seems to be full of roids

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think the only person Rip can't handle well in this league is Bruce Bowen. The guy just messes you up. Artest got burned up a lot by Rip in the 04East Finals especially in Game 5 where we were on the road, and Rip poured down I think 33points with Artest gaurding him. As for J-Max I want him to be used against Ronny in the playoffs (if he's even there0, and especially against Bowen.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mmm... Krispy Kreme...

8. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

C'mon

I don't think Dumars drafted Jmax just to match up with Ron Artest. It just so happens that he can be used to match up with TimeBomb. Remember, that's how teams drafting lose. They draft to match up instead of drafting for needs.

We drafted Jmax because we need physical toughness as well as some scoring with his outside jumper, rebounding and his basic fitting into our system.

NOT because we're scared of Ron Artest. :nod:

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

My valuable input is:

uhmmm...yeah...what he said! :laugh:

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Bowen

Bowen is like a crotch itch that won't go away no matter how much you scratch it. :laugh:

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lol!!

Come on man, I just ate dinner :jaw: