Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by linwood, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So, I'm happily computing away putting techs and fouls into my newly improved draft ranking calculation and I do my first ranking and Sheed comes out the third best player in the league to draft. Only then do I realize I'd treated techs as a good thing (i.e., more is better) rather than as a negative.

:nerd2:
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

lol Between your errant spreadsheets and aurora's kitchen littered knee-deep with statistical butcher paper, I'm starting to think I have an EXCELLENT shot at winning this thing. It's kind of a shame the draft didn't take place yesterday ;)
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL. I previously deleted Sheed from my player rankings. I guess I might add him back now...
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:pound:Too Much, dba!!! I'll see your multi-dimensional scaling and raise you one kitchen wall-size handwritten table done the old-fashioned way.

No seriously...I just checked the our yahoo page and found that our draft day changed! I must have just checked the last page of this thread and didn't see the change until now. Glad I went over there to start my pre-draft ranking. :faint:
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm using my table to hold my cigars and scotch. I'm drafting Auerbach style.
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Okay, so just to be sure and put it on my chart, indelibly:

PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util

Can someone verify that I have the number of players on our team correct as above?

Thanks, the Aurora Kimmie Lights
  7. BillLaimbeer

I thought it was:

PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Bench, Bench
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thats it. One utility player, and two towel wavers on the bench.
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Got it. Thanks Laimbs and Linwood for prompt reply.

I have a more complicated question coming up soon. I just can't figure out how to explain it. :)

You know Linwood I like your Red Auerbach draft strategy. It's good to go into these high stakes events relaxed, and to start relaxing days ahead of time.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Just a reminder that draft time is less than 24 hours away now. If you haven't done it already, make sure that you pre-rank your players in case there are any problems in the live draft. The draft lotto happens 30 minutes before the draft begins, so you will have a few minutes to plan your strategy accordingly.

Week one matchups look like this:

Linwood vs. Mikhail

This will be my third year in the Novice League. Over the past two years, I've learned quite a bit about the ins and outs of fantasy basketball. For instance, drafting a guy who can deliver a good hard foul isn't as important as you might think.

What Mikhail lacks in experience, he makes up for in compulsive research. This offseason, BC kyiv compiled scouting reports and film on nearly every team in the league. This man is like a computer. Or maybe a librarian. Or possibly a truck driver. I'm not sure, I've never met him.

Winner: Linwood.

The Sausage King vs. Luke Slippywalker
    This is a hard matchup for me to evaluate, since neither of these teams actually has any players. Based on Slippy's teams of the last couple of years, I expect him to draft Ray Allen, Grant Hill, Alan Houston, Pau Gasol, Dwyane Wade and any other ankle-surgery-havin, back spasming, broken-wheel-allstar available. Here's a hot tip for you Slippy: The much improved Delonte West put up some pretty impressive numbers at the end of the season last year. Since his arrival in Seattle, he has been on the injury list throughout the preseason with "nagging back pains".

I don't really remeber much about Abe's team from last year... except that they probably beat me.

Winner: Abe Froman and The Sausage Kings.

Roscoe36 vs. Aurora
    This year Kim has vowed to actually make an effort in Fantasy League. With butcher paper and magic markers at hand, it will be all numbers this year. Just like Trick Daddy, Kim loves the kids, but I don't expect her to become distracted by some young NBA "hottie" that shoots a horrible FG%. Not this year. The Lights are in it to win it, and I expect this team to be near the top all season.

I predict that Roscoe36 has the best draft in the Novice League. Just like one of his heroes, Isaiah Thomas, Roscoe really has an eye for talent. Look for the Sandwich Microwaves to dominate at the beginning of the season, only to trade away most of their talent in an effort to reduce payroll. Hit me up when your ready to unload.

Winner: Draw. This should be a battle royale.

I'll give you the other two matchups as soon as I figure out who Jarvis Hayes crew and the Basketballers are.
  11. BillLaimbeer

I'm Jarvis Hayes crew and Basketballers is my 13-year old son. My son started playing fantasy sports this summer with baseball. He is playing football now, so this will be his third league. He beat Roscoe in baseball, but then again, who didn't? Actually, he finished 3rd out of 10 teams. My experience is about the same. My son has been doing lots of research, including participating in online mock drafts. I haven't done any research, but I'll be on my game for the draft tomorrow. :)
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Draft in less than an hour. If you are doing the live draft, you should log into Yahoo and run the "test your system" option.

Good luck to everyone, but not as much luck as me.

:)
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

no kidding! #1 pick?? Too bad you blew it!:pound::pound:
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

How is it that these corrupt commissioners keep getting the first pick? First Jammer & now Linwood. In my league, I got the last pick. Dead last.

So either you guys better tell me how to set the cheat controls or I am reporting you to the Better Fantasy Bureau.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Another corrupt Commish! Mo also got first pick!!!!!!
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I had the number one pick last year too.

Honestly with the snake system, I think I would rather have the number 4 or 5 pick.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Honestly, I had to flip a coin. I really couldn't decide between Marion or Millicic.
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

So Linwood...what did you decide ultimately? How many moves do we get? Did it come out to one per week or something? Is there a place on Yahoo site that I can find it? I can't find it. I have to start rationing myself early. LOL.
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Never mind. I just found it under Settings. 40 if anyone else is interested.
  20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, good thing Darth finally made the move to Advanced League, otherwise his 40 moves would be gone after week 3.