Should we keep Cbill#1...?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 24, 2006.

?

Keep C. Billups?

1. YES, no doubt about it

57.1%
  2. YES, but I draw the at $20mil. per

19.0%
  3. YES, so we can sign and trade

16.7%
  4. NO, Dumars can find interchangable Point Guards.

7.1%
  1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why not? Big Ben did.... oh.... :frusty:
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Above all else JD is loyal to CB.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I would expect Chauncey to report in gr8 shape this fall... being his contract year he may be looking out for #1 (himself) more this year.... I'll be watching his assists more this year.
    I really don't think of CB as a max type player... although I'm done predicting the market after the Bulls overspending.... however there are very few contending teams with significant cap space next year.
    I would say that teams like his home town Denver will make a push in a S&T (Miller and fodder).
    Chauncey will be entering the market at 31 years old... not exactly a spring chick at the PG position starting a long term deal...
    Hopefully the Miami performance was an anomaly
    I'm concerned about his lack of mobility on defense becoming even more of a liability.
    I think he will eventually slide into a combo guard role which could extend his effectiveness.
    I'm not ready to break the bank for CB... possibly 9-10M first year... unless Mr. D turns a new leaf
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:rofl: $9~$10 million to start? :rofl:

CB's new deal will start at no less than $12.5 million (barring injury or some terrible statistical collapse). Write it down.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

How much did we offer Ben before he turned it down and went off to Chicago? I hope we are not going to offer Chauncey more than we offered Ben. $12.5 sounds like more than Ben was offered.

I think Chauncey and Flip Saunders are a bad combination.:mad:
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is Mr. D we're talking about... sure he could get a larger offer somewhere else... if we sign CB for 13+ first year we're are locked up financially for several years without a chance of adding ANY FA's.
    31 year old starting at near max in the D?... ain't happenin'

BTW 9-10M is what I would pay given our restraints not what the market will bear (which is very thin)
  7. roscoe36

Oh, I thought we were talking about what Chauncey will realisticially get.

The Pistons? Joe hasn't been impressing me lately. He'll probably offer $8 million and unlimited Birthday Party appearances by Hooper.

While that is hard to turn down, someone is going to nearly max out CB.

You got deep pockets Merc, but I wouldn't pay CB more than what I think Joe will offer. Hooper is great with kids.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

:attention
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's hard to put a price tag on a birthday appearance by Hooper.

Ideally, CB's salary will fit in with the other Piston starters.

Sheed will be making $12.54 million in 2007-08.
    Rip will be making $9.75 million in 2007-08.
    Tay will be making about $8.64 million in 2007-08.
  10. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I believe Ben's final offer was 52.6 mil which was over 13 mil a year. I can't imagine that we would offer any less for Chauncey. And remember people, that Bill D. spent his own money on the Palace and was the first owner to buy his team their own plane. I think we underestimate Bill D's commitment to the team. Perhaps Ben was not worth 60 million. Bill D. didn't get so rich by being stupid.
  11. max

max All-Star

I have a feeling cbill will be traded this season. Just a feeling. Perhaps in a push for more youth
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been doing some work on salaries and production and will be putting an article together sometime soon. Till then, I dug into my spreadsheet to see how I rated CB. By my reckoning he is the 13th most under-appreciated NBA player is terms of salary, pulling down $6 mil and deserving, based on his statistical production, a bit over $12 mil.

FYI -
    By my ranking BBen was the fourth most underpaid, and should have gotten $13.7 mil last year.

DWade was the most underpaid last year, getting $3 mil and deserving $15+ mil.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is why the Ben issue was so tough. He deserves $13.7M, but we would have had to pay $15M. So he is a very valuable player, but we would have had to "overpay" him. Smart fold. We weren't getting implied pot odds.
  14. BillLaimbeer

If I had to guess right now, I would say the Pistons will offer Billups a 4-year deal worth $60 million (starting at $13 million w/10% increases). That would put him a little higher than Sheed ($12.54 million in 07/08).
  15. dba

And there is of course the issue of paying in the future for past performance. That's the gamble the Bulls are taking. Or any team takes when it signs a player to a big deal.
  16. roscoe36

I'm not sure about paying for past performance when it comes to Ben and the Bulls.

Ben brings so many intangibles that simply cannot be found in any quantity during free agency. The Bulls are paying for playoff experience, a player with a clean public record, a legendary work ethic and a locker room leader. Try going out into FA to buy a 4 time DPOY. Or a top ten rebounder and shot blocker with 12 games of Finals experience.

Not to mention that if he is featured to any degree with the Bulls, Ben is a lock for another All-Star appearance, which does bring some measure of prestige to the club.

In marketing and season ticket sales alone, I am quite sure Ben's indirect impact on the club bottom line will be positive, even if the recent trend of slightly declining #s continues.

It's all about the Benjamins. This is win win for the Bulls. All Piston fan sour grapes put aside.
  17. dba

No doubt. Ben will bring a lot more to Chicago than just stats. He legitimizes them in a way they really needed. He is the kind of player fans love to love and the Bulls needed that on the heels of Curry and the last few years.

But it is just one more example of how difficult the GM's job really is. Based on what Ben has done, and can do for that franchise, he is worth what they paid and maybe more.

It is a gamble though - four years is a long time. Same with CB. Perhaps more so since CB doesn't bring those same sorts of intangibles. He won't fill seats in quite the same way though he certainly has the skills to bring home the win. (Remember ten points in 90 seconds or whatever that crazy thing he did last season was.)
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------
    I'm thinking CB's agent might've slipped this guy a dime!
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yes, but I draw the line at 4 years (I'm sure CB wants 5) at an average $15M. $15M is bad enough, but $20M?...THAT'S CRAZY MONEY!!!

After Ben's departure, I will never have faith in a player's loyalty again. CB will bolt for the cash. I've often wondered if player's don't really have a sense of loyalty...or if it's their agent constantly whispering in their ear..."you're worth more than that" :decision:
  20. BillLaimbeer

I can't see CB leaving Detroit,....unless it is to go "home" to the chicken Nuggets.