Should Chauncey be starting?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 9, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is nice that on every single offensive possession with the starting unit, our fall back options are acceptable. We can either have Monroe or Smith force a post move or we can have Smith shoot a semi open 3-pointer (at say a 25% rate). Our worst shot should have an eFG of about .400 over the long run.

We don't really need anybody to calm this offense down as Panda mentions. We should be trying to break out of the half court confines with these guys to take advantage of the turnovers that we cause and the amazing hands and coordination of our 3 big men. Is there any SF/PF/C combo in the league with quicker hands than our guys? Even Monroe, being our least athletic of the three (traditionally), has some of the quickest and surest hands of any big.

Create turnovers and run like the wind.

One more thought- Josh Smith is in fantastic condition right now. He looks thin and is in full sprint mode on both ends of the court. I'm extremely satisfied with his motor, effort, and physical preparation. He wanted to come here because of the style that he thought we'd play I believe and he's backing it up by being a leader on the court.
    Walter likes this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Part of the problem is trying to start Chauncey at the SG spot. He's stated on several occasions that you can't just play him off the ball. The only 2 wins we have came when Chauncey started. I think the real issue is starting Brandon Jennings. He's shooting 39% and he's taking the most shots......this is who the guy is. I'd bench him and make him a spark off the bench, the guy is all flash with no substance to his game at all. Let Billups start with KCP and bring Jennings and Stuckey off the bench.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Don't tell me that we traded middleton for a bench player.
  4. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

What about Slava? I had been hyped up by youtube videos and was expecting a 7 foot Blake Griffin who didn't whine and whinge.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He's carrying a one of the worst rosters in the L to the playoffs as we speak.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is Slava playing for Phoenix now? I thought I saw him when I went to the Suns game last Sunday.

There's no mistaking that grace.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  7. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Dunking all day ery day

[​IMG]
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

501 years ago, Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Nine years ago, Chauncey Billups was instrumental in adding a similar masterwork to the Palace ceiling: a championship banner.

In his old age, Michelangelo would return to the Sistine Chapel to paint a fresco (The Last Judgement). In certain regard, it was heavily criticized and even censored. Nine years later, an aging Chauncey Billups has returned to the Pistons and has been met with similar criticism. While he is not beyond this criticism, it seems we often forget that his classical, almost divine brilliance and leadership has brought us glories which most teams cannot hope to comprehend.

In trusting the authority of Coach Cheeks and the guiding spirit of Chauncey, we must remember that we are little more than patrons and must trust the artists to create as they see fit.
    Walter, coynejeremy, linwood and 2 others like this.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I miss Pass. But you're doing an excellent job 0809.
    linwood likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They both had a Pope backing them.
    Walter, Mark V, linwood and 5 others like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Free Chauncey! Let him start at PG!!!
    Mark V likes this.
  12. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Today's game was our first glimpse of what the team looks like without Billups at SG. Frankly, they looked do much more comfortable and the defense/fastbreak was as good as I expected it to be. I'm not saying I don't want Billups on the team, but I want him as a PG because he doesn't look comfortable as an SG.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hopefully he learned something tonight from watching what the team can do without him and he can be prepared to add some valuable backup minutes when Jennings is foul trouble and Bynum is in street clothes behind the bench....
    del likes this.
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Kings game is the first step to convincing Mo. Hopefully Pope backs it up against the Lakers.