Shock moving to Tulsa?

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by detteam, Oct 17, 2009.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have been making this same argument for a few years now. No inside power game really takes something away for the casual internet fan (that would be me)

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even Laimbeer sad to see Shock go

Bill Laimbeer disappointed over Shock move | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

Well at least he left the Palace tonight smiling..

3. max

max All-Star

Great idea to lower the rim. Stands to reason that it would be a fair thing to do.

I don't mean to touch any nerves or judge or anything but I also think the constant Lesbian rumors really hurt that league.

4. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Maybe it's because I do not live in a WNBA city but I have not heard so many rumors about the players being Lebanese ( :MusicBigGrin: ), but I do hear about female tennis players being so inclined and it does not seem to hurt tennis. In fact some of its bigger stars have come out. Maybe tennis is just too strong to be hurt by those things. Chrissy Evert had those rumors and never lost her popularity and Martina and some others actually came out.

In my mind, it is mainly because "they are 'only' women playing". I really do not believe it myself because I think that it takes great physical stamina and athletic ability to play in the WNBA, but even on this forum, Lambs has not gotten credit for having great coaching abilities because he coached "only" in the WNBA. They just do not have the credibility in many sports fans eyes.

I remember when the girls had very different rules than they have today. When I was in high school and after, the girls had to stay in certain areas of the floor and were not allowed to run the floor.

There is another thing. Maybe I am just not familiar enough with this, but it seems that the Shock were not on TV much. It is kind of like the cart and the horse, maybe, like which comes first, but I like to get to know the players on TV and then go see them when I can. It takes me longer to get interested in any team, men or women, if I am unfamiliar with the players. And the way you get to know them is by watching them on the tube. FaciaI recognition helps promote IDing the players and leads to better attendance. I believe that is why the NHL really, really wants their players to not wear masks that cover their faces too much., And hockey is a sport that needs face protection.

Anyway, too bad they have to leave.

(I hope I did not hurt anyone's feelings. If I knew any Lebanese, I would probably have Lebanese friends). But I just could not pass it up.

5. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

What the heck?

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah...that...

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag - Thursday, October 22, 2009

A financial move.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Does Detroit at least maintain history?

It also sucks we will no longer see Team Detroit in the all star game.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I can't see "back-fat" Bill coming back to rep the old-school now that he's a T-Wolve.

...Maybe Chuck Nevitt, a Tulsa chick and Ron Dupree can enter this year.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The streak is finally over....I watched the last 2 minutes of this game just knowing that the Shock find a way to lose and extend their WNBA record losing streak to 21, but Sheryl Swoops hit a winning jumper with 2 seconds as Tulsa "shocked" the L A Sparks. The bad was the LA cameras refused to show the Shock celebrating and all we saw was Sparks coach jelly bean Bryant consoling his players before they went down and gave the congratulatory hand shakes..

The Shock are now 2-25 and hoping to put together a season ending 6 game win streak and possibly get into the playoffs..:pound: There are riots on the streets of Tulsa tonight.:MusicBigGrin:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18769069?nclick_check=1