Shock moving to Tulsa?

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by detteam, Oct 17, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Fixed :)

btw...in my wish to turn all threads food, Diners-Drive-Ins & Dives featured a place in Boise called The Rockies Diner...ever been there?

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Of course. The (beautiful) girls all get around in roller skates. My work pals (a big bald army guy and a gorgeous redhead) and I eat breakfast there about once a month during work. How in the world do you know about it????

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

oops...brain fart. It was actually Man vs Food on the Travel Channel :redface:

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tweety, Plennette and Kara...these are city girls...how can they can function in skokee country??

Keeping them in Detroit maybe the city's only chance for a championship in any sport in 2010...

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Well, here I go. Welcome to THE BLAME GAME!!!!

1. The egotistical guardians of the WNBA known as league management. To place a woman's sport in the same arena's that house men's sports was utterly ridculous. I know we want the girl's to feel as professional as possible, but why in the hell were The Shock NOT playing in the JLA at LEAST or Cobo Hall? This way , people who normally cant afford to drive tp Auburn Hills or who may be downtown visiting or even our Canadian family could go to a game like its nothing.
    2. The WNBA let the players down by featuring them as little sisters of its NBA brethern. It was no doubt the WNBA played favorites with the teams that housed both teams. It is the reason a great basketball arena like Connecticut recieved lil help BUT a player as good a s Candace Parker somehow ends up with the Los Angeles Sparks? Can YOU say Pat ewinG? I knew u could...
    3. They added NEW franchises tOO fast TOO soon. I beleieve ten teams would have been more than enough. That way you only have THE cream of the crop players and also develop some great rivalries. The same thing that doomed the USFL has now doomed the WNBA.
    4. Unfortunately, sex appeal sells. A more appealing uniform to the masses of those who need something to keep their attention may have helped (why do u think women in tennis and golf wear skirts and have u seen how tight a track athlete's shorts are?)

But it was a great run. The WNBA really set sports lovers apart from sports fanantics. It set people apart who read the sports section from people who watch ESPN sportscenter.

I will miss my girls....VERY much...I might even have to call Cheryl for a date, as long as i can keep The Mailman out of my head!!

BTW, there ARE Detroit fans in Oklahoma...so ENJOY them, u Okees!

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well said, I've wondered the same thing for years. Put 5000 people in a 20,000 capacity venue and you have FAILURE, put 5000 people in a 5000 capcity venue and you have a rocking sellout that everyone can rally around. The WNBA really effed this one up.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is this just related to Bill Davidson's passing? Or is ownership going to stay the same.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I just lost any reason to watch WNBA any more. Well, nix that. I'm probably going to follow Tweety, Pierson, Ford etc, but it just won't be the same.

:gun1:Oklahoma!

First they steal the Sonics, and now the Shock. Tulsa Shock. That doesn't even sound right. I'm going to miss the ladies.

Sad sad sad day.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am not there but what was the whole Cobo Hall issue about this past spring and summer? I just remember the City Council discussing/arguing over it.

Is the Cobo available for these games or are there other events scheduled and taking up space in the spring and summer? I believe the attendance would have been higher if the games had been held in the city. Young kids would have walked, taken a bus or even been dropped off by parents if the games had been at Cobo Arena or JLA. Would have pumped some additional funds into the city too.

Lets hope this is a consideration before the team is shipped out to the plains....the question is which forum member has the clout or is in contact with media there to push this suggestion on the powers that be...before it's to late.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm guessing the name gets changed. Tulsa Tornadoes maybe? Or...not sure if they can dupe Tampa Bay's hockey name so Oklahoma can have both Thunder & Lightning.

Yes...sad indeed

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They could rip off 2 teams and go with the "heat lightning"

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Or, since there's no such thing, they could rip off 3 Florida teams with 'Magic Heat Lightning'

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The Supersonic Shockwaves.

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Naw dawg.
    The Pistons have mad fan-support and are as financially sound as any team in the association.

I feel for all the young women hoop players in Michigan who look up to these ladies and follow them. The fact of the matter is that they just don't draw a crowd. It's a common theme with the WNBA. That little factoid about only half of the original WNBA teams still being around speaks loudly. It's just not a financially viable league (certain cities might be an exception of course).

While I feel bad for Shock fans, I like the fact that some financial fat is being trimmed so resources could potentially be put into our Pistons. Maybe now that Mrs. D isn't losing mad loot on a WNBA franchise, she can sign an extra free-agent for the mens team. - That SHOULD be the way that it's supposed to work right?

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting stats here (no, it's not nowgoal :MusicBigGrin:)

http://womensbasketballonline.com/wnba/attendance/sbsatten.pdf

I really agree with KGREG, in a smaller arena, I think the Shock would have been considered a success. I wonder how much it would have cost the Davidsons to have them playing at Cobo compared to having them play at the Palace. I also wonder how many of those in attendance bought their own tickets.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Laimbeer saw this coming?

18. coynejeremy

It was an amazingly prescient move, even if he didn't see it coming, wasn't it?

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...and he didn't tell Rick Mahorn.

20. coynejeremy

He's got Horn's back. [STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] When Beer gets his head coaching gig, Horn will be his first hire.