Shock go for three titles!

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Aug 28, 2007.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know most of you didn't watch game 3 of the finals between the Shock and the Mercury and some didn't care, but because they are currently the only champion in town, I thought I'd give you an old fashion recap.

Shock 88- Mercury 83..Shock lead Best of 5, 2 games to 1.

I missed the first quarter, but the Shock suprisingly had a 7 point lead as Mercury came out shooting blanks. In the second qtr the Mercury made a move, but still the Shock held on to a half time lead 50-45, as Cappie Pondexter hit a jumper to end the half and bring the Mercury a little closer. Cappie is the type of player I wished the Pistons had, someone who can drive and penetrate at will or stop and pop the short jumper or the three when needed.

The ESPN halftime crew of Carolyn Peck and Nancy Leiberman were once again all in the Mercury drawers giving them all of the props and momentum to win this game in the second half. the Mercury did their best to shave that lead in the 3rd qtr, but in the end, the Shock held on to six point lead. It all came down to the 4th qtr as everyone in da house knew that Diana Taurasi would step up and try take over. Her former UCONN coach, Gino Teretta ?? was the color commentator and it was obvious he was pulling for Taurasi even saying WE a couple of times when referring to the Mercury getting back into the game. He must not like his other former UConn player Swin Cash??, but then again Taurasi did win three NCAA titles for him.

:focus:

In the 4th, the Mercury collapsed missing their last 12 shots. The turning point came when the Mercury missed 5 straight shots after grabbing multiple offensive boards before the Shock finally were able to get control of the rock. However the Merc stayed in the game because the BS ref job being done on the Shock and Laimbeers ladies failure to grab key rebounds on missed FT shooting by the Merc in the final two minutes.

Ms Big Shot, Tweety Nolan hit the last 4 FT's to ice the game and save it for the Shock. Good game by her and Katie Smith the best back court in the WNBA, now where have we heard that before?

The Merc who hit 16-44 threes on Saturday, hit only 5/31 tonight. The real descrepancy was the FT shooting where the Merc went to the FT line to hit 28-38 and the Shock hit 12-15. But alas the Shock survive and hopefully take this crown on Thursday and send Diana Taurasi crying into Geno Terreta's arms.

Good coaching adjustment by Laimbeer. Hopefully Flip is taking notes.:stirthepot:
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for the Recap, Dre. I haven't been able to watch any of these games, but I am still interested. Out here in Seattle, the Storm might be more popular than the Sonics.

Next season maybe I can catch the Shock vs. Storm games here in town.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For the first time, I'm actually convinced that they have a great product here and that it could become profitable in the long-run once the players' personalities are known.

I'm actually going to make it a plan to watch the rest of the games.

Also, the short quarters are a good idea. They make the game a little more intense.
  4. LA Dre

Well ESPN/WNBA is trying to make Diana Taurasi a household name and hopefully Thursday is the last game of this season so make plans to watch or TIVO it (in case you rather watch Big Brother):)
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Geno Auriemma. My office is in the arena at UConn so I see this guy ALL the time. He's an azz. He never says "hello" to me. :pound:

Thanks for DreCap. I didn't get to see it.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Detroit puts an excellent product on the court. With that said, attendance is down enough to the point where they could consider pulling the plug on the league. I just wish they'd lower the hoop to a height of 9 feet. This would help to have play above the rim and put more butts in the seats.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the third quarter was just great and the comment made was just right on. "this is how the nba use to be", the team play and great play reminded me of how the playoffs used to be. As great as MJ was, the league ha not been the same since he started winning titles. Those two teams last night were going at each other like the lakers/celtics celtics/pistons and the like. If the masses of the country would forget that they were woman and just watch the product and forget the espn highlight dunks the womans game is better.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Laims contract is up next year? When is Flip's up?:stirthepot:
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nemo I agree. The girls have a livelier smaller ball too. Lower the rim.
    Nice crowd in Phoenix. Lets see what Detroit can do.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great game. Shock up by 1, less than 3 minutes to go.

Plenette Pierson to the line, shooting 2. Taurasi 5 fouls.

Pierson has been great. I think she is my favorite player.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Laimbeer has been pretty solid coaching these women, but he struck out big-time setting up a final shot for the Shock to win the WNBA Championship. I felt like I was watching one of the Pistons last-second plays.
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree Bill. Not the best final possession, but a very entertaining game to watch none the less.

That's ok, now the Shock can win it all at home!
  13. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Ditto. How strangely reminiscient of Cheryl's dad being there and seeing maybe the same injury. Shock are done without her. Should have hit the shot. Great game though.
    I always get a kick out of seeing Cheryl at the foul line---almost a carbon copy of her dad.
  14. BillLaimbeer

I'm amazed how physical these games are. Can you imagine how many times these ladies would knock Dwayne Wade on his butt if he drove the lane?
  15. LA Dre

Definitely the Shock missed a golden opportunity to end this thing tonight and send Chery Ford to rehab the rest of the winter.
    Final score game 4 Mercury 77, Shock 76

18.6 seconds to win a title and Laimbeers' says he wants the ball in Nolan's hand in the final 3-6 seconds ..well it almost worked but Katie Smtih dribbled it to long and once she handed off to Nolan at the 7 second mark, she was to far out at the top of the circle and had to pass off to Pee wee Johnson for a bad shot from the right with only 2 second left. If Nolan could have split the defense like Cappie Pondexter did on the previous play, she could have even taken the shot herself or even got to the line. If they lose this series, then it will go back to this key game when they seem to be in control from the second qtr on. Of course the Shock's 18 TO's didn't help the matter.

Swin Cash was non-factor and had one of the key TO's in cruch time where she wasn't thinking thru the ball to Kelly swing in the Mercury's favor at that point.

The game was physical, but seems like the Mercury were throwing all the punches....and getting away with it...Tangela Smith drew an offensive foul on Ford with a minute thirty left by grabbing Fords arms. Then Pierson who would have won the MVP tonight with her 9/10 shooting passed a ball to Ford who couldn't bend down to get it. On the next series, her knee buckled again and even Karl Malone who was sitting at courside felt it.

The worst thing about this loss is that we held Taylor and Smith their two big GIRLs to a combined 2/21 shooting and still loss the game. Westhead made a major adjustment by going away from the three ball as they only shot 20 of them (and hit 7) compared to throwing up over 30 threes in the first three games.

A WNBA champion has never won the title on the road so lets hope that tradition holds up and Phoenix goes back to the Sun City crying on Sunday as the Shock complete the back to back. (with or without Cheryl Ford).

I'm out..
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When you're down 1 point with 15 seconds, you need to design a play where you get a shot off as soon as possible. If you miss you can get the rebound and try again, or you can foul the other team and still have a possession to win or tie. This is especially true if you are a good defensive team.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Got my fingers crossed for Game 5. Wanna see the Shock shut Taurasi's mouth. It'll be tough. She's got a big yap.
  18. BillLaimbeer

No doubt. They played it as if the game was tied.
  19. LA Dre

I want to her and Geno whine and cry......

To much slant at these games for the Mercury. The officials tried their best to keep the Mercury in games 3 & 4 with questionable calls. The ESPN studio crew are cheering for the Mercury and then announcers with the UConn coach giving his so call unbiased analysis are even cheering for the Mercury. This is about as bad as Joe Buck calling the World Series last year but at least he didn't show any emotion for his Cards until the last out. How bout dropping Geno and putting Pat Summit in there.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is almost as rigged as the NBA!