Sheed at Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Move over Wallace. We got another....Wallace. Fox sports saying something something about Rasheed Wallace filling in for nearly departed Ben Wallace FOX Sports - Fantasy Basketball - Off-season beat: Okur may be No. 1 center.

ok not much of an article at all but something to talk about. Wallace plays great against post up PF's and Tim duncan who is like a Post up PF but does he do that well with true C's? I hear people say that he gets overpowered at that spot.

Does it matter anymore? How many C post threats are left? I never got an accurate count but my gut (as large as it is) feeling is that we are seeing an influx of jump shooting finesse type C's.

I wouldn't mind having Nazr come off the bench.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

There are like 2-3 real centers left (that can actually play and are big), so the size thing isn't much of an issue.

The big problem is rebounding. If we start Dice and bring Mohammed off the bench then rebounding might not be that bad. Dice and Mohammed are solid rebounders. We would need our other guys to help more rebounding (getting Delfino minutes would help a ton too as he is a very good rebounder for a 2/3).

Plus, there's the worry about whether Dice can last a whole season playing major minutes. I'd be inclined to risk it because this team isn't good enough to play Mohammed 30 minutes a night and win a championship.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That would be interesting to try if Nazr doesn't cut it. I'd try him first though. I don't know what to expect from him.

I thought Roscoe said something in another thread about Ramadan not affecting Nazr much this year because of when it falls. So I dunno if the statement quoted in the article holds true?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Eid ul Fitr, the first day after the month of fasting is Oct 24th. That's junk about it slowing him down. Ramadan ends 10 days earlier this year than in 2005.

Not to mention that it's not the fasting that could slow him, it's the after sundown eating when the daily fast is broken. Folks tend to overeat after shorting themselves all day.

It's a complicated subject and one I don't want to provide inaccurate information on so we'll leave it at that.

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Very interesting thought. The funny thing is it just might work! I would like to think Sheed would be forced to post more (or at least get a little closer to the hoop) at center.

Perhaps, he will come to the realization that he would be superior to the weak centers in the EC (other than Shaq) and go into attack mode often and early.

However, on the defensive end is a concern, not so much that Sheed wouldn`t be able to guard centers, the second line of defense that Ben was so good at would be Sheed`s responsibilty.

That would put pressure on Tay, CB, and Rip to not play matador defense, because Sheed would also be waving the red cape!!!!!

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Rasheed Wallace may not be the defensive phenom that the other Wallace fella may have been but he's not a bad help defender. He's still a lot better than NAZR.

7. Dlev59

I agree. My point is; Sheed would be back there alone, without Ben........so the entire help defense would be his responsiblity, and his alone. The last couple of years folk would be trying to avoid Ben and run into Sheed, obviously that will not happen now.

With that in mind Sheed will have to be much quicker on defense, cover more ground, just be very active, unless NAZR can contribute towards the interior defense.

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would expect to see Nazr starting the game and playing 25 minutes or so, but I can see CB, Rip, Tay, Sheed and Dice being the 5 guys playing down the stretch in the 4th.

9. max

max All-Star

Sheed can play all 3 forward positions.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

if it makes him take more inside shots yes!

11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I would like to see him down inside much more and I know that others feel the same way.

Also helping would be his ability to keep the ball high, from the time he gets it until the time he shoots it. With his length, that is a real plus.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd love that too, but I'm skeptical. Bad habits are hard to break.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

flip coached teams usually don't have centers producing 100% so maybe Sheed should stay at PF.:ohwell:

14. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Not trying to sound proud here but anything less than a championship to me is unacceptable. In the application of that belief, if it becomes apparent that the Pistons are really good but not great, I think I would try to ship Sheed off and try to get some younger blood. Sheed looked kind of old and lazy to me last year and he is only going to look older. What I am saying is if it becomes clear that Miami, Cleveland, have our number and our run is over, I would like to get something for these aging players before they are not worth too much.

15. roscoe36

Apparently some folks think that this is Jason Maxiell's year. Free the Brahma!

16. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I said the way they "promoted" him when they drafted him that he sounded like the next coming of Ben and wondered aloud if this was the plan. Well from what we have seen his free throw shooting is comparable but we haven't seen enough of anything else consistently.
    Maybe we will find out what we have on that bench this year. Sheed at center?Not sold on that, I personally think he has more of an advantage at pf if he chooses to go block. Flip could mix it up and experiment without having to worry about winning so many games.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think trying Sheed at center is certainly an inspired idea. Just wondering if he'll foul out more, however. He'll probably get more fouls anyway without Ben to back him up. Sheed would probably be more athletic than most of the centers checking him, wouldn't he?

18. roscoe36

It does create a pick your poison deal if Sheed and Dice are on the floor with a bonafide center. Who does Shaq cover?

19. Dlev59

The painted area, thats who...............

20. roscoe36

I'm not familiar with a Pistons player in the painted area. Badoom-boom.