Shaq in Alien Form?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

sorry but shaq absolutely doggs ben when he is fresh. ben does a good job on shaq after and only after shaq is tired. ben can't outmuscle shaq nobody in the nba can. ben on shaq just gives shaq somebody to check and rest on defense. shaq plays zone when he checks ben cloggs up the lane and destroys all post up oppurtunities. i like ben but against miami he loses some of his ability. we would be better off playing a quick and long lineup.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have to use Ben in the 4th quarter a lot though because we don't want Wade to keep getting inside the paint down the stretch.
  3. bball jay

i don't think ben does much more than sheed or mcdyess would do against wade. but i agree ben or mcdyess or sheed should play all 4th quarter minutes against miami unless darko is having a monster game. darko against shaq would just be a 2nd and maybe 3rd quarter thing to make shaq run like crazy with no rest. but if we are up by quite a few points i'd go with darko he's money on the free throws.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'd want to use Darko in the 3rd if any quarter so Shaq might get really tired before the last quarter.
  5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hope this rings true

I surely hope that Darko becomes a picking & rolling machine. I just had a big debate with my entire office regarding Shaq's wearing down, additionally he will not be able to run up & down the court consistently at 340lbs with bad legs & knees.
  6. bball jay

even if darko doesn't become a pick and roll machine. sheed and mcdyess still are great in the pick and roll. no matter what goes on with our offense shaq being 340 for a full season just isn't good for miami. he probably won't even be available for the playoffs because miami will push very hard to get the home court advantage and wear shaq out.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Pick and Roll or Pick and Pop?

Maybe Flip will also install the pick and pop (or pick and fade) which Zeke and Bad Boy Bill used to work to perfection. If so Darko will have to work on his jumper. What would LB say?
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You know what I'd like to see us use the Rick Mahorn move on Shaq when he's backing us down in the post.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not too wild about Darko taking jumpers yet.

Still, it would be crazy if he became a legitimate outside (or dare I say, 3 point) threat. Man would that be fun to watch.

I know some will take it as an insult, but it really isn't meant to be. DMC needs to get into position to draw fouls and earn some easy baskets at the line and putting pressure on his matchup. I'm talking about this legendary player who goes hard to the rack and kisses the rim after a slam.

His outside game will become a bigger threat when he has game in and out of the paint.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

armygirl

Don't forget his giant man boobs.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You tend to see Euro players having an outside game, or a driving game. And Darko can't drive and he has a decent shot so I see him being a perimeter big man with good interior defense.
  12. bball jay

darko can drive to the hole. he's quicker than pretty much any nba center and most of the power forwards in the league. i saw him drive in the euro games he blew the layup but he also blew by his defender. we haven't seen darko drive because he hasn't really been in position to drive. when lb was coaching he wanted darko to post up. this year we will see much more of darko's game. like chauncey said there is nothing he can't do on the court.
  13. bball jay

in europe darko was making a pretty good living at the foul line. he was rebounding and taking the ball right back up to the rim. but i agree he should drive to the hole just as much as he takes the outside shot. i think in the 2nd unit darko is going to have the offense ran through him. he's basically a younger quieter sheed in terms of offensive abilities. his passing abilities, speed and shooting touch will be put on display.
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Don't you see him becoming more of a Nowitzki type of player?
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Here are some of the ways teams guard Shaq.

Keep him out of the paint:

[​IMG]

Get physical:

[​IMG]

Try to draw the foul:

[​IMG]

Close your eyes and wait til it's over:
    [​IMG]
  16. bball jay

nope. i see darko becoming darko milicic a new type of euro player. he's going to be a much better defender than dirk in my opinion. he's also going to be a much better passer than dirk. darko is too unselfish right now to be a dirk type of player. i see darko being more of a pounding bruising power forward than can step out to the outside. darko was not too effective with moves in the post last year but he got great position and teams often had to foul him to stop him. i think he realizes he's stronger and faster than most players and free throws are easy points. dirk is just now later in his career starting to post up. you can't put a small forward on dirk anymore. you will never be able to put a small forward on darko.

this is just my opinion though. we will see in the preseason how darko plays.
  17. roscoe36

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you just describe Bill Lanier?
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My wife got me this framed picture last Christmas. Unfortunately, it wasn't autographed.

She did get me an autographed framed Patrick Roy picture (in a habs jersey) 2 years ago, so I guess I can let last year's non autograph slide.
  19. roscoe36

Bills, great job on the pics. I still say the best way to beat the Alien in Shaq is to make him succumb to his greatest weakness.

[​IMG]
  20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Change the pic to a box of donuts when Officer Shaq is patrolling South Beach at 3 am to keep the peace.