Shaq helps make arrest

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Shaq gets into role as future police officer

O’Neal aids Miami police in arrest of man accused of assaulting gay couple

[​IMG]Shaquille O'Neal makes his living playing basketball now, but hopes to be a police chief or county sheriff one day.
    Brian Bahr / Getty Images

[​IMG]
    Updated: 4:44 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2005
    MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Shaquille O’Neal provided an assist to police over the weekend, trailing a man who allegedly assaulted a gay couple before alerting an arresting officer.

The 7-foot-1 Miami Heat center, who is in the process of becoming a Miami Beach reserve officer, was driving on South Beach around 3 a.m. Sunday. He saw a passenger in a car yell anti-gay slurs at the couple, who were walking, said Bobby Hernandez, a spokesman for the Miami Beach Police Department.
    The man then got out of the car and threw a bottle, hitting one of the pedestrians, who was not seriously hurt. The man got back in the car, which sped off. O’Neal followed, flagging down an officer who made an arrest, Hernandez said.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You're right I just checked on espn.com
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Shaq

Shaq is nuts. No way would I be chasing bad guy's without wearing a bullet proof vest and packing some heat. These cats on the streets now days are crazy and will not hesitate to shot you. They don't care who you are or how big you are a bullet is there equalizer.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Shaq seems to be a pretty good hearted person, but I dunno about this playing policeman and all. It's kinda like Bruce Wayne the millionaire (batman) running around fighting crimes. I think Shaq thinks he is super human or something sometimes. I don't want to knock someone who does a nice thing, but you gotta wonder what he is thinking.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He does have the superman tatooed on his arm.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Shaq

Gotta love the guy. Dominating the courts, Brightening the nightlife in Miami, and catching criminals is all in a days work for the Diesel. If he ran for Sheriff of Wayne County, I would be first in line to vote for him.

Didn't Elvis have a police/ law enforcement infatuation also?
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

One of Shaq's best one liners...

Interviewed about his desire to persue law enforcement after a game last year, Shaq said... "yeah. I might even do some undercover work"
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

not smart

I don't think I've ever heard of anything like this before. A high profile celebrity going out trying to make citzen arrests. Sure, its admirable but seriously, is he crazy? Personally, I think this a lawsuit waiting to happen. Mark my words. People have tried to sue celebrities for significantly less.
  9. Darth Tater

Based on the information I've seen, I don't see anything Shaq could possibly be liable for.
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree..

So far he has been clean, but playin' Superman like that...I see him getting trapped in the future for a payday. I just think its risky business. If he doesn't care, I guess thats even more admirable. I wish him luck. lol.
  11. Darth Tater

Yep. It's pretty crazy. Backwards, if you ask me. Lots of cops probably dream about being pro athletes. Shaq dreams about being a cop. Go figure.