1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Serbia's most recent game vs Italy

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This just in...
    Serbia played Italy today (Sept 5th)

Per someone who just finished watching the game

Darko played and scored 9 points, had some rebounds/assists.

More to come as details come in.

2. max

max All-Star

Mercury

Thanks Merc. But how can they know that Darko scored 9pts or had 8 block without a box score? Thats what I can't understand. Unless they do not think its noteworthy to publish it - a cultural thing

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Max,
    It's just from a single persons viewpoint of watching the game.
    I'm sure others will confirm the stats later.

To add to the info coming in:

Serbia won in overtime

Serbia & Montenegro vs. Italy 95:89

I'm told Darko had 6 or 7 rebounds, a few offensive ones.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Recent update from Massimo (Det News):

"Today Darko played very well against Italy, he scored 9 points and grabbed 6 rebounds coming from the bench. He also had an assist and a block from what I saw.
    The game went to the overtime and Obradovic, Serbia-Montenegro's coach, put Darko in with 3 pivotal minutes to play in the OT...
    Well it was good to see that his coach trusted the kid in crunch time too, the opposite of Larry Brown I would say... Darko responded playing very good defense (he forced a turnover on Bulleri, Italy's PG and defended the perimeter very well, switching quickly and smoothly on the Italian guards) and grabbing an important offensive rebound and scoring 2FT (he was fouled in the same play). He even blocked a shot on Chiacig but Marco Jaric fouled the Italian center from behind and the referee whistled a foul.
    Overall it was a very nice outing by Darko, blocks were raining while he was on the court here in Europebut he was a pretty solid rebounder too considering that he's playing only a few minutes... More on tomorrow, Serbia-Montenegro will play Greece. Ciao!"
    </B></B></B>

5. max

max All-Star

Darko - Mercs link

"Young Detroit star Darko Milicic (Darko Miličić) looks like a child in the candy shot, he ran all over the pitch, became bolder, and despite the fact that he’s better in defensive assignments he tried out his shot a bit too many times for our taste and probably Zeljko Obradovic’s who wont allow that risks when Eurobasket 2005 begins. Still the 20 year old has successfully signed in 9 points, and what’s more important he looked fresh and eager to return to defense, and connect to attack very fast. "

Tried out his shot too much for our taste? Darko loves that outside shot. Shounds like the same knock the old Pistons coaching staff had with him.

Overall though its been a great 2 weeks for Darko. After 2 years of bad news seeming to bottom out with a dissapointing summer league. Billups came out in support of him and he seems to be doing quit well in the pre-tourney games. Some of the other game reports I have read comment on the progress Darko has made in spite of all the rust of sitting out for 2 years.

Darko will be raw next season but as long as he continues to play D and gets away from the long 2's he will have a good season for the Pistons.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

A little more from Massimo at detnews.com

Serbia-Montenegro won the game 95-89.
    I will make a quick recap of his game vs the Greeks tomorrow too. It's fun for me to watch to these games, they're quite entertaining, but I hope Darko will play in the real tournament too. The more he plays the readier he will be for the Pistons the next season.

Now, the fact that Darko team won, with Darko playing 3 minutes in overtime I really like to hear. His coach trusted him with really important minutes and he came thru. Note, Italy had beaten Serbia last week, so this was sort of a revenge game.</B></B></B>

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Here's a couple other viewpoints of the game:

Tonite Darko played about 15 min, and he was solid. He had 9pts (7-7 FT) , 6 rbs, 1 ast/blk. Bad thing he had 3-4 turnovers and rebounding problem is aslo there. Serbia won the game in OT (darko played whole 5min). Rebraca is a monster, too bad we didn't keep him.

So far, Darko has not shown any offense what so ever.
    But on the other hand, he has excelled on defense. All we need now is to get Darko Drik's rebounding coach

From what i saw from today's game, no one scored on Darko while posting him up. And to be frank, Darko's post-up defense is great.

He played a bit too far away from the basket some times, which lead to italien offensive rebounds.

Atleast he made all he's FT's, 7 of 'em.

</SPAN>

8. punisher

punisher Second Round Draft Pick

Darko had a few quick mistakes (pf, TO) the moment he came of the bench. His defensive production however is a constant one, throughout these tournaments, and primarily cause of that, he'll claim one of the spots on the final 12-men roster. The way he plays, he totally influences the way opponent teams attack...
    He is pretty active on offense, setting numerous screens, playing pick'n'roll, passing the ball, all these are done very good indeed. His back-to-the-basket game however is not good, it's raw and not efficient, it is then that he turns the ball over or has ill-advised ahots.
    His FT's are very good, which should suggest he could space-up the post, spread the defense. I think he should take more of those 15 to 18 footers

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are probably the only one.

10. punisher

I'm not saying quit the back-2-the-basket thing, work on it off course as it'll compliment your game. But he does have a nice shooting stroke, his FT's have that nice and natural look and feel, and I think it's all just a matter of his confidence. On his NT he won't get much of those shots since he's also forced to play down low, but personally I wouldn't have anything against him taking them from time to time....

11. roscoe36

Yeah but FTs don't necessarily correlate to FGs.

I'm actually super pleased that Darko is establishing himself as a defense force for his NT. With his size, speed and agility, he has the potential to be a great shotblocker.

There is a reason why everyone is trying to get him to play down low. Once he figures out how to be consistent in the paint, he will OWN his matchup more nights than not. It may not be comfortable, but then when was learning something unfamiliar or taking on a great challenge comfortable?

The problem I have with those jumpers is that DMC was advertised as a guy who would put the ball on the floor. Instead, I see him take the open 18 footer instead of driving hard to the hoop and embarassing his man. Now if he could hit 40% of those Js, I could live with it. But his jump shooting while smooth and great in practice, is pretty nasty in games.

At least he has room to get better...

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The thing about Darko is, he already has a go-to move that any classic center would kill for -- that lefty hook, either banked or from the baseline. Not only is it hard to disrupt, but it's ideal for two-man games with right-handed guys like Chauncey who favor the left sideline. He just needs to improve his situational judgment about when the shot is there and when the double-team is coming.

The only solution is lots of repetition in actual games. Once he can sense the easiest play for the situation, all his other tools will fall into place.

13. punisher

Off course, without his defense, he wouldn't even make the team, and right now, not only that he shows up on defense, but to almost everyone's surprise, he is the defensive player of that squad and is actually a game changer...

On offense, when one-on-one and back-to-basket, it's a struggle. He can posterize guys, pass the ball, swish a fadeway J, but it's still a struggle for him...

14. aron1231

aron1231 Second Round Draft Pick

theMicrowave

you said... "Now if he could hit 40% of those Js, I could live with it. But his jump shooting while smooth and great in practice, is pretty nasty in games."

i think this is the exact symptom Punisher was talking about... he's more comfortable in practice than in games. if he were more comfortable in games, he would shoot a higher percentage.

15. roscoe36

Fair enough. But I can nail 20 or 30 free throws in a row at the playground too.

All I am saying, is that if the J ain't falling, "take it to the rim big man, dunk it!"

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bull in a China shop

Is what Darko's "O" sounds like. That's not what was said before we drafted him. They said he liked to drop the shoulder and drive. He needs to develope the "washing machine". However his D sounds like BaBaBaBen. Maybe we should start calling him DeDeDeDarko. His FT is cold blooded, he is not Shaq/Duncan afflicted.

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Darko

What's happening all, Armygirl here, messed up on my username. I believe I have this thing figured out. Keep reading about Darko's travails on his Serbian team, some good, some bad, how objectives these reports are who knows? We will see come November, Ball don't lie.

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

phylliscblc

Glad you made it, armygirl. Wouldn't be as complete a forum without ya.:usa2: