1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Semi-OT: Best Franchises in Sports

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 17, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

This isn't strictly an NBA conversation, obviously. But this IS my favorite sports forum in general. And it is at least part-NBA. So what the heck.

Now, what do I mean by best? I'm going to start with a local example. The Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings are, IMO, the 'best' franchise in professional hockey. There is a "Red Wings Way" of doing things. Of playing. Of drafting. Of developing. Of treating veterans well. Of grooming future head coaches and high-level executives from within. Of stability and continuity. I can only speak to my lifetime (since 1987). But in my lifetime, the Red Wings have been the 'best' franchise in professional hockey. Their third cup - in 2002 - was kind of yankees-like, with all the high-priced talent that was brought in. But aside from that, it's been pure. The Penguins are a close second, with the way Mario Lemieux and co. have remained involved taking the franchise from one era to the next. The Blackhawks, having brought in Scotty Bowman from Detroit as a lead advisor, are burgeoning in this category. The Devils have been tailing off, but are still a 'good' franchise. And there are, of course, some other good programs building up as well.. but who haven't been there long enough (Boston, Los Angeles, etc.)

NHL: Detroit Red Wings.

NBA: In basketball, I believe the 'best' franchise is the San Antonio Spurs. The Lakers have won the most championships in my lifetime...but they are sort of like the yankees of basketball, in that they have more or less purchased their championships. The Bulls have won the second most, but really, they just got lucky in having one guy. Miami's the current franchise-to-be, but again, yankees-like. The Pistons are actually worth mentioning, in that we've won championships in two different eras, and a presence from the first era - Joe-D - was running things for the second. The Celtics are similar in that way, though they more or less bought their one championship since 1987. But back to the SPURS. There is definitely a San Antonio "way" of playing, coaching, drafting, developing, grooming, treating, etc. There isn't much question for me in this one.

NBA: San Antonio Spurs.

MLB: This is a tough call. The yankees have won, by far, the most world series' in my lifetime - but in a very yankee ($$$) fashion. Boston I'll throw into that group too, but not as good at it. It's a four-horse race for me. And it's very, very close. There's the Phillies. Just one championship in my lifetime, but a perennial contender. High-priced pay-roll, but only because their draft picks have been so expensive to keep. There's the Giants. Two championships in the last three seasons. Middling pay-roll. There's definitely something to their "way". There's the Cardinals. Two championships in the last, idk, half-dozen or so years. Middling pay-rolls. Something to their system as well. Then, of course, there's the Braves. Just one championship since 1987. But Bobby Cox took them to the playoffs 14 seasons-in-a-row. Never the biggest pay-rolls either. Very, very hard to say. I guess I'd rule out the Braves because they haven't been relevant recently. And, idk, I guess I'd pick the Cardinals. LaRussa picked his own successor - a true rare-ity in stability in professional sports. And they're still super relevant.

MLB: St. Louis Cardinals.

NFL: This, I think, was the toughest call. The NFL's sort of the ultimate sport for this category, as there's been a strict salary cap for a long time, and it's tough for big-time FA's to move. The Giants have actually won the most championships in my lifetime - - and I believe Coughlin used to be on Parcells' staff, so there's carry-over there. The Patriots have won the second most, and again, there's carry over there too, from Parcells to Belichick (though Parcells just won the AFC championship there). Though SF's good again, there's not a real connection between Walsh and Harbaugh. The Cowboys haven't made it into a second era. The Packers are a team that's won championships in two eras, with the same front office. The Steelers too. Even the Ravens, to some extent. The Colts have just one championship, but that's a tremendous system in place there (and we'll see what A. Luck can do). New Orleans has a nice program in place too, but it hasn't been long-lasting. I guess it comes down to the Giants, the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Ravens and Colts. Bill Parcells has had at least a small part in building seven championship teams. I think it's clear that the Patriots got the best-groomed assistant of his (Belichick). So, I guess I'm going to go with the Pats. The Giants are close though. As are the Packers and Steelers. And I guess the Ravens too.. though we'll see what happens post R. Lewis and E. Reed there.

NFL: New England Patriots.

I can't stop and I want to get into major college sports.

NCAA MBball: I don't count Kentucky, sold their soul to the devil (yankees-like). UCLA is dead, has no connection to John Wooden (who was a cheater anyways.. look it up, the John Calipari of his era). Indiana is back, but has no affiliation with Bobby Knight. MSU's long-term success under T. Izzo can't be ignored, just one ring though. Kansas is one hell of a program. There's really no affiliation between R. Williams and B. Self - - but there's something to that program, for sure. North Carolina, is of course, up there.. as D. Smith groomed R. Williams. For me, it's DUKE. The best college basketball coach of all-time, IMO, is B. Knight. His successor is not at Indiana, but at Duke. There is definitely a "Duke" way of doing things, and I believe it's the best.

NCAA MBball: Duke.

NCAA Football: I don't Alabama, sold their soul to the devil (yankees-like...though Saban is a Belichick/Parcells descendant). Pete Carrol was a big-time cheater at USC. Nothing since he got busted. ohio was cheating too. Georgia's been a great program, but what have you done lately? Florida hasn't recovered since Saban got into town. Notre Dame appears to be back - - but with little to no ties to former eras. LSU's one of the few teams that still seems to be able to at least compete with Alabama, but Les Miles has no ties to the school's history (he is, however, groomed by the great Bo Schembechler, before being run out of Ann Arbor forever - - long story). For me, and I'll admit I'm biased, it comes down to three schools:
    ...Michigan. Bo. Lloyd. Hoke. Stability. And I believe we're on the verge of being the team that's going to knock off an SEC champ.
    ...Texas. Mack Brown's been there doing his thing forever, struggling mightily lately though.
    ...Oklahoma. Bob Stoops has been there forever too, but also struggling lately.
    I'm picking Hoke. I think there is a Michigan way. There's stability (again, after a brief stint). Things are done the right way. The Bo way. I might be biased, but I honestly do think it's Michigan.

NCAA Football: Michigan.

coynejeremy and round like this.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Soccer: Manchester United

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Fantasy: Denver Squirrels

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  4. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

FC Barcelona¡¡¡ In several sports, especially in football, basketball, handball and roller hockey ,in 4 competitions champion of europe and other international tournaments.
    Navarro,Varejao,Gasol,Bodiroga or Ilyasoba played in Barcelona.

5. mikhail1973

Especially handball and roller hockey which is extremely popular and very well-known to the American fans.

6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Basketball: I'd go with the Lakers, but couldn't really debate if you mentioned the Celtics.

XFL: Memphis Maniax

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I don't think ANYONE could argue with the fact that the Claremont Braineaters are the class of Division III Men's Ultimate Frisbee.

They are able to consistently draw talent, like Tommy Li, who was voted as one of the top 14 players in the California, Arizona, and New Mexico region last year. And I don't think I need to even mention the incredible talent of Riley MacPhee.

Probably the only Division III Men's Ultimate Frisbee organization that comes close are the Missouri University of Science & Technology Miner Threat. But last year during the semi-finals, The Braineaters beat the Miner Threat in a decisive 15-8 victory. They made it look easy, and were still able to enjoy a few brews during the game.

When reporters asked Riley MacPhee what the secret was to the Braineaters success, he replied: " [We made]...a conscious decision to focus not just on working hard but on being a team. We worked hard on things like going out together, having parties and having fun in the field. That seemed to really turn things around for us. It made it so that we got a lot of new kids coming out once they saw the new direction we were going, and we saw a big increase in commitment and motivation…."

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Squirrels are very good, but I do have 2 titles in our Keeper league.

mikhail1973 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Tommy Li, just doin' what he do.

[​IMG]

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Those titles were won prior to the Squirrels joining the league.
    They don't really count do they?

[​IMG]

...Miss Jackson (if your nasty).

coynejeremy likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

*teary eyed*
    For the record, this meant a lot to me.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You hacked Mogilny's account?

13. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Barça is the elite in very different sports,that´s i want to explain with this,barcelona is out of usa but has elite and olympic players, in diferent sports. Only team similar in less level is panatinaikos of greece. Diferent model of other european or usa teams.

14. mikhail1973

Yeah, because panatianaikos is so strong in football, which is №1 sport in Europe

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We'll see this season.

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Riley MacPhee has made me forget all about...that one guy.

linwood likes this.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor