Seattle March 4 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, I still can't quite figure out how your complaint applies to last night's game. Flip left AJ and Max on the floor for (I think) most of the 4th quarter, and definitely the entire stretch run of the game. And yes, it did end: when the final buzzer sounded and the Pistons won, thanks in large part to crucial plays by both of those guys in crunch time. You don't think that was a case of leaving people out there who are going well for too long...do you?
  2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

YouTube - Tayshaun Prince 360 by LeBron and then Dunk
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

They never did it because they were subpar ballhandlers. Tayshaun is doing it because he is. This assessment came straight from the mouth of Larry Brown.

Don't make it personal then. Worry about my posts, not me. :)

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some people like to complain about Saunders irregardless of what he does.....or should I make that Coach of the Month Saunders....

NBA.com: Detroit’s Saunders, Houston’s Adelman Named Coaches of the Month

Actually, the Flipster has won this award many times. Here are a couple:

PISTONS: Flip Saunders Named NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month

PISTONS: Chauncey Billups and Flip Saunders Named Eastern Conference Player and Coach of the Month

PISTONS: Detroit’s Flip Saunders and San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich Named Eastern Conference and Western Conference Coaches of the Month.

PISTONS: Detroit’s Larry Brown and Minnesota’s Flip Saunders Named Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month for April

TIMBERWOLVES: Saunders Named West Coach of the Month for February 2003

TIMBERWOLVES: Saunders Named IBM Coach of the Month for January 2000

Of course this award doesn't mean anything if the team doesn't win the ultimate prize.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No, I don't think he left them out too long. I am definitely not saying that they don't contribute to wins, aren't good or should not be closing out games. I am not talking about this one game. What I am saying about this game is it is the other side of coin in regards to the Utah game. Flip couldn't play AJ then because of reason A, B and C. This game he could only play Maxey and AJ. Why can't they all get consistent burn in a rotation? Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't they keep the starters sharp and fresh while learning the strengths of the team?
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Obviously, he's never going to be perfect. I'm just really thankful that all of the guys on the active roster are being used in real game situations. The starters are getting rest, the zoo crew is going bananas, the odd men out are Dixon and Fabio, and they are even contributing at random moments.
  8. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

pathetic. turn in your pistons card at the door and watch that screen door on the way out.

and this is from one of the most negative mofo's ever.

Tay struggles with LBJ, a guy that could end up being top 5 all time and has him by at least 40lbs. Very understandable to me. He's done damn good work on Kobe and TMac and DWade in the past, none of those guys are easy covers.

Yeah Rip has all of Tay's limitations, but without the psycho long arms, good leaping ability, giant mitts, and advantage of being a lefty for finishing and blocking shots.

PATHETIC, he sucks on D like Camby and Bowen suck on D.
  9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think I see what you mean a little better now. But I'd say that from my perspective, the Utah game was far more of a fluke than not, certainly when it comes to Amir's minutes since he first got into the rotation. That's his only DNP in the last 5 or 6 weeks, isn't it? He's gotten decent playing time in pretty much every other game since he first got into the rotation just before the all-star break.

Since late January or so, by and large, I think Flip has been very good about giving everyone PT and managing the starters' minutes vs the bench in a way that very closely mirrors what we all want--Amir's DNP in the Utah game was the one really glaring exception.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here's my question. Has Flip given Amir any minutes this year...

Or has Amir taken them?
  11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

By the way...'psycho long arms....good leaping ability....giant mitts' ...you just described Herrmann! Bring in Jarvis Hayes to shoot the ball and between the two of them they give you off the bench everything Tay can give you.

Plus Walter hustles a touch more than Tay. He brings more energy than Tay.

I never said Tay sucked on defense. I said Tay ran away. I questioned his toughness, not his ability.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

unless they changed the rules since i checked last... but you can't have two players play one position at the same time (one for offense and one for def) if so why didn't we do that with ben all those years....

If either of hayes or herrmann were as good as you seem to think they would be starting somewhere and not on our bench today....
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's the old efficient market theory.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No, Flip hasn't given him any minutes, but he he has taken them at times......
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Cirrus is playing the Devil's advocate :)
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would say it has not been a free trade, because Amir has given Flip a few wins... :stirthepot:
    Yeah, Saunders is the Bernanke of rotations.
    A role he is a master at. Although, Tay did wimp out in a disgusting way last year.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Coaches have been making offensive and defensive substitutions for years. It's not like either of those guys are completely one dimensional, however, depending on what was specifically needed at the time either one could fill in for Tayshaun while he got the less than 35 minutes a night that Joe mandated to Flip.

And as for the "just because they come off the bench means they're not good enough to start anywhere else" theory,

come on now. Plenty of starters on other teams would come off our bench. Plenty of guys on our bench would start on other teams. Two years ago folks were saying the same thing about McDyess.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

we over played Prince in this game and he was ineffective for the first 3 qtrs on the Boston game.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A wise man once said: "Better to lose one game than to lose two."
  20. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

might work well except you'd need those 2 guys to replace 1. Maybe we can play 6 on 5?

If you want to question his toughness I guess that's fine besides that I don't think he's ever missed a game and has shaken off some hellacious fouls from Shaq among others.

Your argument is a strong as "Chauncey is weak in late game scenarios".

Stats can be massaged to make them into whatever you need.

It may have described Hermann except he can hardly jump at all, and throws up finger rolls when he has no reason to.

I see no reason to question Tay's effort, let's see how much hustle the Hermannator would bring playing back to back 40 minute games. It's not that hard to look good vs other teams 3rd stringers in el garbage0 time.

Maybe he should grow coke nails like Rip and claw his way to being an 'adequate' defender?

I'm done with this and you, have the last word if you'd like.

I see this as asinine on your part, and yes pathetic.