1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Save Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Ernie Harwell now involved in this. I do think remnants of Tiger Stadium should be saved, and I like the proposed idea. If the "leaders" of Detroit had actually considered doing something with the old park five years ago, it wouldn't be such a financial drain on the city. Why not come up with a scenario to turn it into a moneymaker? People still love the old venue.

Detroit is one of the worst-run cities in existence. It could be a great city, but its idiot city council has dragged it down for years.

ESPN - Ex-Tigers radio voice Harwell: Save Tiger Stadium - MLB

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Amen, bro!

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would be the coolest venue in history for amateur baseball leagues, or even minor league games. You could have it host a different minor league series each week. If they could make it look like it did when it was still being used, I'd pay $100 to go watch a game there.

Couldn't they still have concerts to supplement it too?

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Good ideas Tashawn!

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How much would you pay to see the 1984 Tigers vets play the '84 Padres vets? Even if they used a softball, it would be amazing.

The real problem is not finding a profitable use for the stadium, it is battling the people who want it gone. I'm wondering if the new stadium deal had a clause that called for the old stadium to be gone by a certain point.

That land is not valuable. The argument that it is hindering the development of the neighborhood is incincere.

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'd hate to see it torn down. It's such a part of Detroit history. Seems like a historical landmark should be preserved. I have a lot of memories from Tiger Stadium.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Why not also have the site host Detroit Sports history museum?

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They said that some of the proposals were rejected because of lack of minority representation in the investment groups.

It's one thing choosing an investment group over others that has minority representation and quite another rejecting all proposals because they don't have it. I really don't understand that. How can you force somebody to invest if they don't want to.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How much do they want for it?

I've been working more lately and saving up some money. I might be able to join one of these groups and provide that valuable Canadian minority they seem to be lacking.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The way the Tigers are playing at Comerica, maybe they should be play a couple of games over at Michigan and Trumbull to see if they can jumpstart the batters...:stirthepot:

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing is, there is no set amount of money that the City wants for it.

They seem to want the following:
    1) there must be a large sum of cash
    2) the project must fulfill every desire the City has
    3) there must be an unspecified % of minority cash in #1
    4) it all must happen very quickly, because they are going to wreck it by October... even if they don't have a plan for the future of the site.

#4 leads me to believe that they are not negotiating in good faith.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Seems like there was alot of talk about a minor league team at Tiger while they were building Comerica. If I remember correctly, Illich still has/had at least part ownership and rejected the idea of a minor league team.

Of course, at that time, the Tigers were hardly better than a minor league team, and Tom may not have wanted the competition for tickets. I don't think that would be the case anymore.

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Get rid of the old hulking building. Costs too much to remodel and refit to modern standards. Detroit has a history of tearing down worthwile landmarks. Train Station, and Hudson's just to name two. Here in Billings, Montana, we have Minor League Baseball. Tickets are $4 a pop and the food is really cheap. Action on the field is really entertaining. Imagine 39 home games for a season ticket price of less than $150......

Detroit would NEVER go for that............

Time to move on........Just ask Stroh's, Federal's, Hudson's, Vernor's, Sander's........and now......Tiger Stadium :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that is really the issue. The competition.

That is what makes this whole thing frustrating. The city is lying when they make their arguments. They really don't want it there.

They would rather pay $ to take it down and not have anything in it's place than let somebody operate it successfully.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

....Sigh. - (cue Field of Dreams music)

Sad day for me. Lots of solid memories of me and my late father going down there.

I flew back to Detroit during the final week of that last season to catch one more game at the old park. I stole everything I could carry (the wooden armrests from my seat, my seat number, infield dirt, etc.).

I even manage to sneak in with the "other" kids to run the bases after the game. Went out for drinks after the game, covered in dirt from sliding in to home plate.

I thought they were gonna leave a portion of it up and turn it into some sort of park/monument/outdoor mall. - ?

...special place for me.

17. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Personally I am glad that they are finally doing something with it, even if it is demolition. Having it sit there abandoned was painful enough, but having it sit there half-demoed was 100% fail. I suppose in a vibrant city investors would have stepped forward in the last 10 years and made something of the park, but Detroit is the opposite of a vibrant city.

I've been wondering what other cities do with their older ballparks after a new one is built. Is it typical to turn the old park into a museum of sorts or do they usually just demo it and build something else there?

18. Nemo

I ran to the outfield to have my picture taken next to 325 in right field.
    Many memories there, Including my grandpa actually playing there when it was Navin Field. Still, I'm glad to say goodbye and cherish the memories.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

20. Nemo