SanAntonio Feb 14 7:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by max, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Yes indeed.

We can always race though!!!!!!!!:MusicBigGrin:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I dunno buddy, I got really fancy spokes on my BMX!

:gun1:
  3. roscoe36

I forgot we are going to footrace! My bad Dlev.

You name the distance, I will pick the terrain.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Depends on the amount of anger involved.

We can start at 5 miles - with a 10 mile max.................
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Roscoe is Canadian. He's much better at running kilometers. Excellent strategy selecting miles.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So where are the droids I'm looking for?
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Hunter's hiding them in an escape goat pod
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hunter is like Dale he should be given a full starters minutes to get into full game mode, say once every 12 games? Other wise it's helter skelter, chicken with his head cut off type game. But he can't stay healthy either.
  9. Pwn Toney

NOTE: All "you" references in the following post are used in the general sense and not in the specific sense (i.e. directed at Thee).

OK, judging from the fact that Thee is not the only person to ever suggest this, there must be some group of people that come up with these things. Where do you guys get these wild ideas?

There is NO coach in the history of the game of basketball that has ever dolled out starter minutes to one guy once every twelve games. Why? Because it's totally insane. Who would do this? Besides the fact that it would be totally useless in maintaining anything of value from a player that was played with that kind of minute scheduling. Nevermind the fact that playing someone like that is basically "injury insurance" (read: insurance that whatever player was used like this would almost be guaranteed to be injured).

I am totally at a loss why anyone would suggest such a nonsensical minute pattern for ANY player (not just Hunter). Along with who's responsible for reminding the coach when said player is due for his "starter minutes," I just can't understand why people continue to suggest this as a way to utilize ANY player. Additionally, the fact that NO ONE has EVER been used like this should be all the convincing a person should ever need that it doesn't make any sense.

If you think a guy shouldn't be played or kept on the roster, fine. Suggest his being waived, cut, bought out, benched, or traded. But, for the love of God, please stop with the cycling of minutes based on the rotation of the moon, playoff seedings in the NHL, and the occurance of leap year, along with the price of tea in China.

I get it that everyone but me and Hunter's mom want him banished from the NBA. However, suggesting that he get 35-40 min. once every 12 games, or 20 secs at the end of each qtr, or one possession per playoff series is just silly, in no "real world" situation would this ever happen to a guy and I will never understand the utter creativity with which people invent ways to limit minutes for the guy they don't like.
  10. roscoe36

Don't want Hunter banished. Just don't want him to be the first PG off the bench. We need someone who can shoot and pass. Neither is his strength.

He's a good 4th or 5th guard. After 13 seasons, it is unreasonable to expect him to be playing heavy minutes, or hurting Billups by being unable to play heavy minutes.

I would love to go to dinner with Lindsey and talk basketball. I would love to see him brought in for key defensive possessions. But he's becoming like Ben, a player you have to consider pulling out if offense is needed.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Ronald Dupree gets that kind of treatment.

I guess it depends on whether or not you think Lindsey Hunter contributes more than Ronald Dupree.
  12. Pwn Toney

However, Hunter does a decent job with the minutes he gets.

For my money, if I have to chose between Hunter, Blalock, and Murray.

Hunter wins every time.
  13. max

max All-Star

Hunter will have some good games sometimes. In most games the other team goes on a run when he comes in. Not sure exactly why as it should not happen to that extent but it does.

Overall he has never been the ideal candidate. Every year Dumars has had to go out and find someone else before the end of the season.
  14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The Spurs have been in Tayshaun's head since the Finals when he was a complete no-show for 7 games. He never figured out how to pass out of the quick double team that consistently wasted 8-10 seconds of shotclock. I wouldn't expect much from him against them anytime soon.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This weekend, I reviewed every minute Hunter played, twice, for the month of February. He had one NBA acceptable game, against Toronto.

His shooting guard play for the month so far was ok, nothing great, but ok. His point guard play was absolutely atrocious, except for that one game. And even then, it was his good shooting that made him have a good outing, not really his getting other's easy baskets.

Bottom line, as a backup for CB, there is no way Hunter should be out there. As a backup for Rip, at least he is better than Flip Murray since he plays D. Sorry, but thats not saying much though.

Despite my great bias toward not seeing Hunter out there nearly so much, at least there is a trend for the month of CB playing less minutes. Slightly less, but less. In a few games, Hunter kept Billups off his feet for most of the 2nd quarter.

My biggest pet peave or whatever you want to call it? Hunter is usually the point guard when Maxiell is out there. This kills any chance for JMAX to be seen in a good light. JMAX is still doing some pretty good defensive rotating, but we do not get the benefit of his offense, nor the benefit of JMAX getting a comfort level on O that would move him up a level, making him even more valuable to us.

Delfino does continue to play quite a bit. And I like that. And when he acts as the point guard, the ball gets into the post almost before you think about it. In my opinion, Delfino should be getting all those backup guard minutes, not Hunter. Or even Blalock. Just in case anyone asks what my alternative is.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How many times do I have to tell you all that Hunter plays his best when he is the 2 guard playing with Billups at the 1. Then he is a surprise scorer with the rock given to him instead of him dribbling out the clock and he is forced to shoot or passes to someone else who only has a few seconds to shoot. The O is just out of synch when he runs it. Our misses, normally turn into ezy fast breaks on the other end.
    :focus:

I thought this was the Pistons-Spurs game thread?
  17. max

max All-Star

I wouldn't worry about. Hunter was not in the plans to play such a role this season. Dumars guy for the backup 1/2 ( Murry ) failed at it and I am sure he is still in the process of finding someone else to play that spot. Then Hunter can be the low minute situational player that he was supposed to be this season.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hunter is 6'2" 215 lbs. He's not a football DB. He should be about 195 lbs. I figure the extra weight [fat] would keep the muscle tears down but that's not happening.
    I don't like having guys out of sorts [game ready] when you need them. You can hear their joints cracking when they stand up.
    Lenz and Dale are vets that know how to play but you lose it fast if you don't get game experience.
    How about starter minutes every 6 games?
    I wouldn't be surprized if JD buys out Lenz before the year is out.
  19. Pwn Toney

Hunter gets approximately 1 qtr of total play per game. At 13.6 mpg, that's completely acceptable and necessary for any player you feel you will need to play at any point.

The only players getting fewer minutes than Hunter are: Dale Davis, Will Blalock, Amir Johnson, and Ronald Dupree. I think that's pretty accurate as none of those guys should be getting more minutes than Hunter based on the contribution that Lindsey provides versus that of, say, Blalock or Dupree.

Lindsey gets probably exactly what he should be getting.