Away San Antonio Spurs Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ San Antonio Spurs

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 8:30 PM Eastern

AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the first quarter, Kyle Singler is the best player on the floor for either team. He is 4-4 FG with 9 points. He is holding Ginobli scoreless....and, yes, I am actually watching the game.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Josh Smith didn't get the memo. Looks like LeBron James so far.
  4. BillLaimbeer

He reminds me of Rasheed. Some days, he brings his hard hat and goes to work. Other days, notsomuch...
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Singler is 5-5 for the first half....I only watched it once.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We play well against SAS. Good thing they are about to coach circles around us and hold us to 35 second half points.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Apparently the Spurs didn't get the memo that Kyle Singler is too short and too slow to play basketball in the NBA.

Wil Bynum is +14, doesn't he know he's too small to play this well?
    basketbills and linwood like this.
  8. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

Our problems come down to two major things
    1. There is no transition defense. Anywhere. I'll watch Greg Monroe bust his butt to create a basket for himself, or watch ANY other Piston use the ENTIRE shot clock, only to get run off the floor, this time by the geriatric Spurs. Actually, i'll give them a little credit, Belinelli, Leonard, and Patty Mills do a good job of running the floor. When the Pistons ACTUALLY do a good job of not letting them score in five seconds, there are two open players on the perimeter. Easy money. Our entire system is broken. Singler and Stuckey are chickens with their heads cut off, and Monroe really isn't even there, which allow Smith and Drummond to look foolish all by themselves.

2. It looks like Jennings maybe be playing himself out of favor, even before he jammed his toe. Bynum isn't a good PG, and neither is Stuckey. Neither of them can create offense for the team (except Bynum, who is the only guy who BOTHERS to integrate Drummond). The ball sits on one side of the floor. Singler never even tries to find his shot unless he is ignored by the defense, and KCP just never gets the ball. It's a joke that we don't know how to kill teams with picks considering that we have an IDEAL front court to do it with. Just NO PG play ANYWHERE. I can't blame Loyer, he's just a seatwarmer. I want Jennings running the second unit next year. Knight wasn't the answer either. So we are going to need a front office and coaching staff to have a major role in finding a real PG.

I won't be heartbroken if we don't sign Monroe or Stuckey for next year. If Monroe commands more than 10 per, let him go. I actually don't think Monroe wants to be here. His body language says no.

God, goodbye, CV, Stuckey, Bynum... turn the channel on this era. I've watched my final Pistons game this year.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

JJ, KCP, and KS all need plays drawn for them with some pick setting... however 110 points means that's not exactly our problem.
    linwood likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Don't forget Siva. He was money from downtown tonight. Reminds me of a young Will Blalock.
    basketbills and linwood like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was happy to see him hoist. Looked good.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Right on the guards. Is there a team in the NBA with a worse set of guards in the league? And right again, it starts with the point guards. And yes, at least this coach sees the problem.

But caution: hard to evaluate the bigs on this team with little or no system on either end and with sub-NBA shooting and point guard play around them. Josh's game is hurt a lot by the lack of point guard play and offensive movement.

We have a third tier guard (Bynum) playing major minutes. We have a second tier guard (this season anyway in Jennings) as the key point guard, a second tier player (Stuckey) who, when he doesn't score is not a plus on the court, a rookie (Pope) and and second year player who is just finding his spot up shot (Singler) but who is not really a guard and who still does only half of what an NBA player at his position does. This group of guards is a Dumars issue.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Point guard play and offense have been a major problem all year and is reflected in the team's 4th quarter collapses. This coach seems to understand the problem but there is not the personnel to correct it. That is on Dumars.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Pretty good writeup. I'll just basically second yours. Singler did hit five for five in the first half, most in the first quarter. He was scoreless, on 0-1 shooting, playing extensive minutes in the 2nd half. (prior to garbage time where he hit a couple of meaningless buckets. Like you say, Singler mostly runs around to no point.

In both Singler's and Bynum's defense though, we did fall behind for good with both off the floor. A unit of Stuckey, Pope, JJ, Smith, and Monroe fell behind. In their defense, its not like this unit has ever previously played together this season. The group came about because of a change in rotation due to Jennings being injured.

Smith also did not score much in the 2nd half. Great first half with 20. Just 4 in the 2nd. Smith started out the game hot as heck on the outside shot, then started busting moves to the basket regularly. Until the half ended.

Monroe was scoreless in the first half. Did some damage in the 2nd, but obviosly, there was no room to play him in crunch time since Singler has to get his minutes, scoreless or not in the 2nd half as the decision was made. I know, the decision to have Singler in at crunch time was made by the owner long before this game began. I should quit being silly.

Have a great day everyone. Tomorrow. In consolation, this was an away game, against the Spurs.
  15. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What happened to Jennings? Will he miss the rest of the season?
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sore toe.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum looks like John Stockton compared to Jennings.

I thought KCP did a nice job. I was glad to see him playing.

The Pistons couldn't move the ball like SA if they played 5 on none. It's 5 fingers versus a hand.

Monroe seemed focused on D tonight.

The most depressing part of this season to me is that Joe is still running the team.
    roscoe36, linwood and Lee356 like this.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons ran with them for awhile....after all this isn't your typical 12 games-games-in-row-tanking-sixer team. We can run with any team through three quarters....and then well we collapse as the other team decides to turn up their D and we decide to abandon both our defense and offense. All I recall in the fourth quarter was Splitter getting easy putbacks while we were our usual step slow.

Once again you can look at the score sheet and see what happens every game...Popovich plays almost everyone who suits up no matter if they the score is close or a blow out. Tonight 13 guys played and 8 of them score in double figures. If only we had 4 bench guys good enough to score in double digits......but then again, maybe it was our D that allowed everyone to get into the act. I wish Austin Daye would have been enough PT to outscore all of our bench

Despite the loss, the Pistons lost no ground in the race for the final playoff spot as the Hawks lost for the 10th time in their last 11 games... The Pistons only win in their last 7 games were against those same slumping Hawks. On the other end of the scale, the Cavs upset the Thunder (who lost for the 3rd straight time since the return of Westbrook). So we gained a game in the race for the 8th lottery pick.
    Lee356 likes this.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Is he? A clearly flawed team and not 1 single move at the trade deadline?

The team could have had a much better guard scenario; pick the right PG (Burke or MCW), amnesty CV and sign a decent SG or two.
    lapiston likes this.
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It seems that Bynum is running the team better than Jennings lately. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.