Home San Antonio Spurs Tuesday Feb 14 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2012.
  1. Detroit

30.0%
  2. San Antone

70.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I think we can play against these guys..........
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Matt Bonner by 6.
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Im glad we didnt win and screw up our draft position any more than our recent mistaken winning streak has done. I was happy to see Big Ben get some burn and play the type of game up and down intense that will help BK and GM and JJ grow as players. I really dislike the fact that refs dictated the winner of a hard fought battle though. The bs calls flopper and the gang were getting were pretty severe and if I wasnt rooting for the stones to lose? I would be prepping bottle rockets to fire up some asses right about now. GM didnt really have it tonight, I can understand it really playing against the guy you set your game after has to be a little wierd. But hopefully he got the jitters out of his system and he will be in attack mode instead of awe mode next time.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice comeback by the Pistons, but not enough to take out the better team and coached Spurs. Ben Wallace attempted to rekindle the Spurs-Piston title days with 5 boards, 9 pts including a his 7th career three. His inspired play kept him in there all until the end as Monroe had a terrible time going up against Duncan The Hack-a-Ben may have slowed down the express of a possible win, but Ben hit half of his 8 FTA to keep the game close until the last 27 seconds.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good call. It was anyone's game for the taking. The Spur just executed down the stretch. The Pistons did not.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

This game was your run of the mill playoff team vs. lottery team game for the first two quarters and half of the third, then Ben Wallace hits a jumper, and then a three pointer to give his team some life and we had a game.

Ben Wallace was vintage. His defense on Timmy was good, and his defense in turn picked up everyone else's. Hack a Ben? Really Pop? :crossed:

Stuck was good for the most part, and then came crunch time and he threw up some atrocious, no-chance-in-hell circus shots hoping for a bailout call that came once out of four times, overdribbled, and just generally morphed into the Rodney the Ballhog. He actually might have gotten away with that against some other, surely lottery bound team, but against the Spurs? Hell no. There was one sequence where Rodney got the ball from Brandon after a rebound and proceeded to drive the lane with count 'em, THREE black shirts hanging around the rim, two of them taller than 6'10 (the other was his defender who is 6'7 iirc). He got his "shot" swatted, but the Pistons were lucky to get the ball back for him to try a carbon copy of it a third time, resulting in a miss and a fast break chance for the Spurs off the rebound. That's not the way to win basketball games, I don't care who it's against.

Brandon was okay. He was missing a ton early, but had his moments here and there. He did drive inside a few times when he saw an opportunity, mostly in transition. The two biggest highlights for him were a three-point play after a stop with 4 minutes left, the second a contested 3 with less than a minute to go. Had a nice block that was deemed a foul on Parker as well.

Greg had an bad game. He couldn't get a handle on Timmy on defense and couldn't get his shot off properly on the other end. Credit the Spurs' defense, they locked in on him and kept him off balance the whole game - so much so he wasn't on the floor to end the game in a close one for the first time this season. Partly influenced by Big Ben's play, but it was just not his night.

Tayshaun was playing like he had something to prove as one of two guys left on the roster from the 2005 team that SA beat in 7. He had the hot hand early, and he played well, I just wish his good play didn't come with him holding the ball for 15 seconds on nearly every possession at the end. Isotayshaun back with a vengeance.

JJ played well. Energy and hustle, plus a nice three to stretch the lead a little bit in the fourth.

BG was hitting his shots very well early, but that three out of the timeout was awful, especially as it was contested by a 6'11 Tim Duncan, and he compounded it by getting a tech with less than 24 seconds left in the game. They're not going to call a foul in that situation most of the time, more so if the so-called offender is a player of Duncan's caliber. Just terrible.

Austin hit a shot and played well enough to not be a negative.

Walker D. didn't play much, but he was more the facilitator again which is good.

Max was ok, better than the Wiz game.

Special mention to Manu Ginobili - youtube.com/watch?v=6eOmJF…

This game I honestly expected to be a laugher for the Spurs, and it looked like it early. If it weren't for Big Ben getting the team and the crowd hyped up, it probably would've been just that. They competed well enough to hang around one of the NBA's premier teams for most of the game and had a chance to win it late, which is more than I expected, and in a season like this, I'm fine with just being competitive.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, Alexa, Stuckey had a good game but couldn't finish it in crunch time. One of these days....??
  9. LA Dre

If the Pistons had had three of their guys left over from 2005 title series, we may have won this close one down the stretch...instead it was Timmy, Genobli and Parker vs Ben and Tay....:cheeky-smiley-012: The problem is the Pistons had three of theirs last season and still were 25+ games worse than the Spurs....must have been the coaching differential in addition to the weak bench...:gaah:
  10. Walter

That was a foul on Ben Gordon's 3-point attempt. Horrible refereeing in this game, especially in the 4th.

Great comeback though. Nice showing by Big Ben in the game where he made history.
  11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

He'll stop being a "rookie"? People realize that outside of the free throw shooting, he's not a closer?

Walter - yes, it was a foul. They were never going to call that though. Timmy fouled Greg numerous times and got away with it. Ben got away with a few and got hit with 2 straight bad ones. Ref Eric Lewis ftw! The Spurs have oscar nominees for the flop category in Parker and Ginobili.
  12. LA Dre

I turned to the Wings game during halftime.....how did the Chi-lites do? :MusicBigGrin:
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Decent writeup Alexa. But Gordon was absolutely fouled on a 3 - point attempt that most likely should have tied the game up in the last seconds. No call and they t'd him up too for complaining. Plus the refs robbed us a few times otherwise in the last few minutes of the game. We should have won this one.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They sounded pretty good in the few blips they played and got a strong review from George and Greg. They were almost as good as Vanilla Ice.

Hearing Blaha say Flo Rida was the best. I've also got to imagine him reading the call for the new Fox Sports Girl has to be a career highlight also.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was a tough loss. I'm still not sure if Gordon got fouled at the end.

Stuckey played well, but this game showed his ceiling as a player as Alexa pointed out. His KFC Bucket Chart was really funny to see. Without a pull up jumper to compliment his drives he has to hope he can keep going to the well.

I actually think Stuckey deserves credit for sparking the Pistons comeback prior to Wallace "going off" (he hit 2 shots). He hit 2-3 shots or so in a row to keep the Pistons from going down 20.

Ben Gordon is one of the worst ball handlers I have ever seen. You could pull a drunk from the crowd who wouldn't dribble like that.

I can't remember the last time I saw a slow white non-center/shooter miss 2 free throws like Matt Bonner did.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I enjoyed watching Rodney Stuckey last night. For a while there, he was driving, dishing, getting to the line.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ginobli is the master of the flop, but that call down the stretch was the right call. Tayshaun just rammed right into Manu while Manu was just standing there, feet planted, body straight up, waiting for the collision.
  18. Walter

Tay did foul Manu, but it wasn't a foul when Big Ben floored him on a screen in the previous posession.

All in all, this was a good loss. We played head-to-head with a quality team that we have no business competing with and it was only because of the refs we lost the game in the end. In a lottery year such as this one, I'd consider that a good result.
  19. LA Dre

We would have won that game if some second year guy by the name of Lin would have running the point instead of Stuckey..:bs:
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I found this on Basketbawful...