Home San Antonio Spurs Monday, February 10, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Game 1: 29 point lead
    Game 2: 17 point lead
    Game 3: 22 point lead

Average final score: 115.3 to 101.3 (+ 14.0).

Mo Cheeks finally solved the 4th quarter issue. Build up leads so large that they are difficult to squander.
    The Panda likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Its not just about running sets, its about what you do after a set fails. This is the difference between a good NBA team and a bad one. The Pistons fall back on hesitation dribbles, contested long 2's and wayward And1 passes. The Spurs, will just keep running off ball picks and cuts until they get an open shot. We need fluidity. That's why we look so good in transition - our guys go with their instincts when they have a bit of free space, they make smart passes to guys running into open space, take open shots and make the extra pass.
    lapiston likes this.
  3. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Baby steps.

This team hasn't even had a half court system within which to freelance. If you're running a half court set play, then every player should know where the other four guys are at, on the floor. If that breaks down, then you should have at least two other guys to which you can pass the ball. If that breaks down, then people should be already moving, because that what people are supposed to do in set plays; screen and move to a series of predetermined spots on the floor. If that breaks down, then let Jennings and Smith dribble and shoot long, contested 2s and And1 passes.

Long 2s and ANd1 passes aren't bad options with 4 seconds left on the clock. Most of this year, those two things have been our first options; basically our offense. It's great to have those options to bail you out. It's not so great when you choose those options over, say, playing actual basketball.
    lapiston and The Panda like this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Screens. Screens. Screens. I think this is the key to us having a good half court offense. When our bigs get serious about being GREAT screeners it will work wonders for us. I'm shocked at just how bad we are at freeing up guys via picks and screens, you would think that a lineup as big as ours would be a great screening team. I have yet to see Monroe or Drummond set a GREAT screen.....Jorts has set more good screens than Monroe and Drummond combined.
    linwood likes this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Smith isn't bad at setting screens, but our guards don't know what to do with a screen when they see one. Especially Jennings, who keeps dribbling the ball patiently while the opposing defense recovers.
    linwood likes this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Drummond / Bynum is a good screen-and-roll combo.
    linwood likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I think you just described a Piston's coach
    basketbills, linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree with the comments above about the lack of offensive sets, movement, purpose.

Agree that the team is very thin. You have the three bigs, Jennings and Stuckey.

Pope is a rookie and should see limited developmental minutes. Singler is not yet ready to step in and be a major spot up shooter--again a player in the developmental stage. Bynum is a spot player that can change the pace for 3-4 minutes. But he is being used major minutes as the back up point guard.

A trade for another competent guard that would take a lot of minutes from the above players, one way or another, would move the team up a lot.

Not sure about Langlois on Jennings improvement. I wouldn't go out on the limb to say that. Jennings is playing as if he has just finished his rookie year. One or two bad games, one ok game, one good game. As Kgreg noted, there is so much he still can't do. Agree that you cannot put too much restraint on his game. His shooting touch seems to depend on a free flowing game. Bottom line is that he is still not a veteran NBA consistent shooter. His driving to the hoop and finishing and dishing are not up to the level of a good NBA guard. He can pass to get assists from the perimeter but that is not enough for this team. I root for him because it was sub-standard guard play among other factors that has cost the Pistons so many games. And if Jennings goes well, the Pistons usually go well. Josh and Monroe are dependent on a flowing offense and guards who can get them the ball in the flow. Long term, who knows: will it be Jennings or someone else as the starting point guard? The answer to this question will be critical to the roster in the next year.
  9. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree with a lot of the posts, KGreg's and Walter's especially. The bigs aren't setting great screens, not bad, but not really what you'd expect from a starting big. Worse is Jennings' use of those screens. If I wanted a PG who crossed back to the left of the screen, then I might've kept the other Brandon. That's how he played it too.

You have two options with the P&R. You can take it two dribbles wide, which gives you the option of either pulling the trigger on the jump shot or hitting the roll man (Stockton/Zeke), or you can turn the corner and give yourself the option of taking it to the hole or throwing the lob. Jennings is doing neither. He's using the pick solely for the purpose of getting space on a 17 foot jumper. You don't need to go into that with 16-17 seconds left on the clock. You can get that with 4-5 seconds left anytime that you want it.