Home San Antonio Spurs Friday Feb 8 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good win and good game by the Pistons as they put a stop to the supposedly short handed Spurs who were riding a 11 game win streak. Knight was sensational as was Monroe, Charlie and Calderon.

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow! Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight played as if they read my negative posts about them and set out to make a complete fool of me. Great job tonight by both players. BoT actually played defense! I'm still in shock. Stuckey was over 50% from the floor!!! 4-7 to be exact.......with 4 TO's :frusty: That was fun and everybody played very well. The absence of Tayshaun Prince coupled with the addition of Calderon had the ball whizzing around the court all night, guys did a good job of playing a great game of hot potato, with Rodney Stuckey being the exception of course. If this team had players more adept at finishing Calderon could lead the league in assists.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great win. I look forward to watching it again tomorrow with my son who had to do something else tonight.

We just used an 8 man rotation. Usual starters, with only Bynum, Stuckey, and CV coming off the bench.

Monroe quietly piled up another major double double, 26-16. Lets call that a 25/15 game. He did hit a jumper, but more importantly, he over and over again drove the ball to the hoop, often connecting - and going 8-10 at the line.

JMAX did little of note. Just played some good D.

Knight had it going, after missing a couple to start the game. But note, he hits them when the shot is there for him. When he tries to force things - he misses. Anyway, a very nice scoring game for him in all that included both outside shots and several inside ones.

CV nailed 5 threes. A few of them in the 4th quarter when we really needed them. He did post up once successfully too, and made a shorter in shot. And 8 rebounds, a couple of blocks. Not a bad game for CV. But note, in the 2nd quarter, SA's shooting percentage skyrocketed from the 1st quarter. (Can't exactly love the defense played with both Bynum and CV out there.)

Bad news, Drummond is out up to 6 weeks with a stress fracture in his back. No foul trouble up front, no Kravtsov.

Bynum got to the hoop a few times. But look, we could have given Middleton, a guy over a half foot taller who could have acted as a shooting guard for Stuckey. I still say we are going the wrong way using Bynum as the backup point. He was only a little negative in this one though. (A lot of the time he was checking Parker who is small enough for him to guard- and Bynum's quickness is good for guarding the guy.)

Singler continues to impress. Some rebounding, interior D, and he makes a lot of shots. Defense is not the greatest, but its not bad at all.

Calderon dished out 8 assists, with no turns. Nailed a 3 and scored a couple of other times. As good as we were offensively on this night, who can really ask for change on that score.

Well, we just beat the best, and it never got all that close. This is a good team, with fine players. Can we make a push for the playoffs. I say we should try our best, win every game possible, and hope Boston or another team slips. Playoff experience for Monroe, etc. would far outweigh the slight chance at getting a game changer in the draft.

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Parker is exceptionally elusive and hard to draw a charge against. He had his way with us in the paint with 31 points on 16 FGA's and 8 assists to 1 tov. Good thing we were on fire all night long and had a buffer.

Charlie played his most complete game of the year. He actually looked athletic as times.

Knight was hypercharged. Probably good for him to quit worrying about getting everyone involved and just focus on being aggressive.

Monroe hit the 40 minute mark and had a really strong game all around. His 5 turnovers were all off the dribble as far as I can remember. A travel and at least 3 cough ups, maybe 4. Passing was good and secure. He gets so many bunnies through the dribble and he gets so many offensive boards on his own misses, that I'm OK with the overall decisions he makes to drive, even if they are sloppy at times.

Max with another 3 rebound night... getting out rebounded by everyone except Calderon and Bynum (2 and 2).

Spurs go 12 deep to our 8 man rota. JJ gets the shaft again after playing crunch time last game. Villa gets crunch time tonight after being left off the floor when we needed a desperation 3 to tie last game. Slava gets overlooked tonight due to Monroe's higher energy level, low fouls, and successful stints... maybe combined with Frank's desire to stop the losing streak and knock off the NBA's best record team with the 11 game winning streak.

Having Duncan and Ginobili in street clothes is almost as bad as having Drummond off the floor, so this is still a quality win for us.

brofmfa likes this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Was busy cooking and working, but what I saw, we played pretty good.

This is a radically different team than it was 2 weeks ago. We don't really know what we have yet. Where the ceiling is. It could take a couple weeks for things to settle down.

I was surprised to see Jose playing off the ball so much, but I figure it's because he can shoot, and creates a mismatch on the wing.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like how Knight attacks the basket from the corner.

Calderon gets the Pistons into their sets/offense very quickly.

I was getting distracted a lot during the game, but Monroe looked like he was playing with some force.

The Pistons are in The Lead section of ESPN's ticker/scroll!!!

7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Monroe really had a good night against a non athletic center, The only times he looked lost was when he got the ball too far out and had to try to back his man down, he did a much better job when Calderon was able to get it to him ion good spacing and just get to work. The Jose effect is evident. Sad to hear the news about Drum , but no reason to force him back too soon, not going anywhere near playoffs anyway. Looking forward to seeing our youngs get some pt in the next week once the math plays out.

brofmfa likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He gives the ball up very early, but he does it quickly and with a somewhat long pass (instead of the Knight to Tay handoff) that gets things moving.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why would you be so surprised about this? I know I already posted the possibility of using Calderon as the shooting guard, since he can shoot lights out. Gee, I guess you don't read my posts anymore. That hurts. LOL.

linwood likes this.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lee, I read all of your posts. I find it hard to believe we beat the best team in the league tonight without playing your heroes Middleton and English.

Switching sides is the quickest way to put a defense on their back foot. Our offense hasn't been able to do it until we got Jose. It's going to lead to a lot more 100+ scoring games imo.

LA Dre likes this.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Fun game tonight...

Call me crazy, but if Max continues to play as mediocre as he's playing, I would consider moving CV into the starting lineup.
    Jose/Knight/Singler/CV/Monroe

Not what you'd call a wall defensively, but that team could flat-out score.

12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Good game. I liked that they kept pushing the pace, never saw that ever with Tayshaun around. I imagine having Jose off the ball some is to take advantage of that good shooting ability, plus to get the ball in Knight's hands a little more. This was, after all, Joe's master plan.

Slightly OT: Apparently Tayshaun's propensity for taking long 2s (least efficient shot in basketball) and the tay fake is causing some problems for Memphis (it's spacing). The guy really did bog down our offense a lot - Pistons have been running way, way more since the trade.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Poor Grizz....... Tay wasn't exactly a team cancer, but man he really was a drag on this team.

brofmfa likes this.