San Antonio Spurs Feb. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

Who let bowen in to the game?

The answer is obvious. Mr. Curry. :gun1:

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

okay i went to this game but got there late, missed half the 3rd quarter, etc. there was a decent crowd but still a lot of empty seats. i just want to say that the timeout...when it happened i was really puzzled. it made absolutely no sense. in fact, i think it took away a great opportunity to start turning around our season.

if that seems a bit dramatic, perhaps it is. but when you guys talk about it causing us to lose momentum (and let pop substitute), you have no idea how much. the Palace was ROCKING. people were STANDING. people were YELLING. everyone was excited that we might finally win, we had made a bunch of good plays, had played solid defense, and were primed to go get another easy score while SA was confused. one more basket and the stadium would have ERUPTED.

the timeout was called and not only did people get quiet but some people even left! the excitement was gone. SA was the one that needed a timeout to regroup and we called it FOR THEM!!!! UGH

that dunk by Max was insane. ya know, he played a good game and showed he can shoot the ball, but man did he get caught up on switches and was very late getting back to bonner (although he did a better job than sheed/dice). you have to credit SA for setting very good screens. pop has this coached to perfection, and they also get away with grabbing on those picks and not getting called for it. it gets their guys open just a tad longer.

i have a MAJOR problem with a 7-man rotation, and curry's comments about not playing until sunday. whereas before he said he couldn't keep AJ and AA off the court, now he's indirectly stating that they're not even good enough to play normally. and i also have a problem with the fact that Curry is still panicking and now is trying to mimic flip saunders in order to get some wins. let's recap:

- zone defense
    - shortened rotation, freezing out AA, AJ, Kwame
    - meeting at midcourt with his assistants during timeouts (i could not BELIEVE when i saw this last night...just like flip, and i always hated that on so many levels)
    - starting sheed and dice

the next step is he'll bench AI so our starting lineup can be the same as last year except replacing chauncey with stuckey...and that might actually not be a bad idea lol. here are some other observations that are troubling if they become a trend:

- sheed continues to take bad shots at the end of close games
    - stuckey is completely deferring to rip and AI, specially since AA has been frozen out and stuck always has one of those 2 on the floor who are looking to score
    - ai saying f' it, i'm gonna get mine (although not a problem w/that last night as he shot around 50% and was abusing parker)
    - if this is a 'lost' season and we're not developing our young guys, then it's also going to be a wasted season

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Expressed perfectly.

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That's pretty much the season story in a nutshell.. :writersblock:

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We have zero ball movement. AI needs to pass the ball. I am not saying he is hogging it but his idea of being effective is dribbling til he gets open or someone else gets open. Besides his man; nobody else moves. He needs to reverse the basketball til the defense opens; not cram it into the defense and try and create an opening. Stuckey is falling into this trap. He is forcing things because we are not moving the ball and make the defense adjust.

Simple basketball:
    Pass and Cut
    Pick and Roll

Amir is the only big we have that is willing to set multiple picks on a possession. All of the other guys may set a weak pick and then pop looking for the ball. If they don't get it they stand around and watch. That is the energy we are missing from the bigs.

I watched last night and you could see at least 4 of the 5 Spurs players touching the ball on each possession and some of them multiple times looking for a seam. We are lucky if we get 2 players to touch it.

We do not make aggressive cuts to the basket. We pass into the post and saunter acroos the lane after the pass. We need good, hard cuts. That is what AA gives us.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think one fan actually said something like that, and I also think that you misquoted what that one fan said and took what that one fan said out of context. Hopefully, you feel better now...

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Curry has played basketball for most of his life on just about every level. He even worked as an assistant coach on the NBA level. I don't understand how he could do something so incredibly stupid. How could he not know the right thing to do? Just on his instinct alone if not drawn from his experience.

Something is terribly wrong here. I don't have much hope for this team under his guidance. Would they really throw out an entire season to avoid firing their coach?

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

That was pretty much the same reaction in chat. How could a bunch of casual fans have the same feeling yet Curry seems oblivious?

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can't expect Curry to see any significance to letting Bowen get into the game for the defensive play. Curry has no clue about this sort of thing, or he would not have left two of his best defenders out of the game (Amir and Afflalo). Basically, as Curry has no clue about his own rotations, how in the heck can you imagine he would have any clue about who plays for the other team, and who they might go to? You are giving Curry way too much credit.

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I still think the main problem with the Pistons is not the coach but the mix of players and especially the age of the two primary big men: Sheed and Dyss. This decline in bigs was coming and it started with Ben leaving. Ben was one of the best defensive bigs I have ever seen in his prime. The team can play the young bigs even 40 minutes but they are not ready to take the place of the quality that the Piston bigs have recieved in the past from Sheed and Dyss. To put it another way, if Dyss and Sheed were 28, never mind Ben, the Pistons would still be dominant, Curry or no Curry.

The guards simply do not complement each other. The Pistons have no three ball threat at all. They had two (both by Sheed) against the Spurs 7. What coach is going to make the Piston players suddenly find that kind of shooting range. Check out the top teams and see how much they integrate the 3 ball into their offense. Not the Pistons.

Where I do blame the coach is on the lack of execution. But even here the problem of personnel rings out. Stuckey and AI are not good ball handlers and neither are Rip and Tay. Turnovers happen at the worst, rally killing moments for this team and on an offense that is hardly risk-taking and high powered. With Chauncey, the team lost a lot in execution and three ball ability. But Chauncey too is on the cusp of being "old" in the NBA.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good post lapiston. Sheed does look really old, and I think McDyess is showing signs of age as well. He doesn't seem as physically tough, even if he is as mentally tough (determined) as ever.

Still, I'm having a hard time accepting that we are a .500 ball club.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The players miss Flip Saunders so much, that they just cannot play well.

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thabeet = Theo Ratliff

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with you except about the age of the bigs part. Obviously it wouldn't hurt if we could role back the odometers a bit, but DET's problems are not solved by putting a Chris Bosh in there. There are no bigs in the L that these 2 can't play 1 on 1 still. The same cannot be said for the other positions on the floor.

The lack of 3 point shooters to spread the floor trickles down to other aspect of the game as you said. The PS3 we should score every hoop 6 inches from the hoop is bogus. They showed a stat during one of the C's v P's romps that had something to do with most players on a team last year with 100 3 pt FG's made. The Celtics and Lakers led the list and guess where they ended up?

The guards are all poor ball handlers, like you said, and are sub par spot up shooters. If DET is scoring from the post that means everyone else is standing around.

Tay kills this team. He gives them next to nothing for the most part. If DET had someone at the 3 that could create shots and score in under 35 minutes per play it would have made a huge difference this year and the last few.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's been two days now, but did anyone ask and more importantly did [STRIKE]Mr.Alan[/STRIKE], I mean Curry indicate why he called the infamous timeout with the 28 seconds??

Some reporter had to have asked that question in the post game as it definitely as Warthog said gave the Spurs tme to regroup, put in Bowen and basically send an enthusiastic crowd out into the cold air with a big disappointing WHY???

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh HQ.

Except for the 5 inches, 40 lbs, pressure of playing at a top tier school, and stats, yeah they are the same player. lol

Dominant Thabeet just shy of triple-double as UConn wins again - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

If he is Rattler 2.0, then Greg Oden is Lebron James' dad.

Hold on a minute here....

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Thabeet will be a high pick. He does disappear in games and he definitely needs to work on his offense, but he is a defensive menace in the making. He hasn't been playing hoops that long, actually. Plenty to learn. Maybe Dave Cowens can help. :pound:

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Thabeet's already a dominant defender, but I did watch the Pittsburgh-UConn game, and Thabeet got absolutely MANHANDLED by DeJuan Blair... The kid has a lot of work to do yet, especially on the offensive end.

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

The problem with Thabeet is that he's built like Gumby. Just this past week he was backed down by a Maxiell-type undersized PF that is becoming so popular in the league nowadays, for 20+/20+

And he's more awkward offensively than Mutombo.

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, I have a hard time accepting that a team that was two or three in the league last year is 500. also. But I am trying to put a little perspective on it for myself and maybe for others. Otherwise, the games are hard to watch.

The crazy thing is that there is still much talent on the team and for about 6 minute spurts, they actually look very good.

Right now, I would be happy with just getting to the second round and making some noise.

I do think that if the Piston brand name now really means something with this second major run, that Joe might be able to get a star player this next year or two.