1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

San Antonio Spurs Feb. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 9, 2009.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

3 shots is 3 shots.

Sheed and Iverson combined for 45 shots.

It is what it is. Iverson and Rip are worried about getting their numbers, and that's all this team is anymore. AI chucks with the starters, Rip chucks with the bench. Sheed scatters in a few "WTF?" shots here and there for good measure. Stuck, Tay, and the rest of the role players are just along for the ride straight to the lotto.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's funny HQ.

The 3-4 minute burst line of MC's that TAS mentioned had me scratching my head too...still can't figure what MC meant by that.

And the best part of the game was Charles Barkley's apology...how can anyone not like this guy. One of the most genuine people on television. (Ok..he only mentioned the drunk driving..but still...)

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Things that really annoyed me about this game and the season;

The misconception that AI's offense makes up for his "defense"; AI's damn near 30 shots

Amir getting jerked around; It's not like he was key in the last SAS win, Oh wait he was!

AA getting jerked around

Parker getting into the lane at will

Sheed/Dice together

Small Ball

Our complete lack of 3-ball shooting which is absolutely killing us

Our ever changing SL

The fact that Stuckey can be a good defender, but no one cares to try to make him one; on the flip side, the overestimation of Stuckey who was never ready to be the starting PG (qualifier; Stuckey is getting more and more minimized on offense so his play might not all be his fault)

Michael Curry

edited to add;

Almost forget; this season which is making watching a game like homework

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm just glad that there are so many of us fans that don't care if we lose every single game, as long as it's "INTERESTING" to watch...

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Who should have been shooting last night instead of AI? Who was he taking shots from, Tayshaun Prince?

7. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

In fact AI took 26 shots and shot %50. I don't call last two forced 3's shots.

Like Ernie said, who was he takin shots from? Prince or Sheed?

Anyway for god's sake please fire this Curry the idiot. It's good to give a job to your friend but business is business you know. Joe must fire Curry and should say to him " It's not personal, it's just business my idiot friend "

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I honestly can't say I didn't expect us to lose this one. We simply have a moron as a coach, and I think at least some of the players have thrown in the towel. This is gonna be a tough stretch of games coming up, and I'll be happy if we can win even half of them (which I doubt). Dyess and Sheed together is an absolute godsend for opposing offenses. The Pistons simply suck right now; so much we might actually be heading to the lottery. Curry has lost this team; hopefully Joe comes to his senses and fires him.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even if they would have gone in?

10. Patron

Yeah, probably TaShawn.

I know he couldn't hit them when he was double teamed most probably. Sheed was the man we needed to go with for those 3's. But Curry went with AI istead of Sheed. Just like went with sheed instead of AI for the last play before forced 3.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This game it didn't drive me nuts, but i don't want it to become a regular occurrence, and it's kinda hard for other players to get into any kind of rthym when someone is dominating the ball.

I'm really not interested in watching us become the Sixers.

12. max

max All-Star

Face it - this is one of those years.

On AI. Kind of looked like he is getting sick of getting blamed for this and was trying to at least go down in flames. Can't really blame him - having to go through this with one hand tied behind his back.

Maybe the best thing would be to just cut him in a short while ( if things do not turn around ) and go with what we have left. At least that way Stuck and AA can get better for next season.

13. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, the problem now is, we lose every game and we are not interesting to watch.

------

If you think AI was the problem last night, then you're wrong.

AI got no help, the coach continues to do everything he can to lose games, Tay's body language indicates surrender most of the time.

Stuckey has just plain hit the wall. Please stop blaming everyone else. Curry probably deserves some blame, but Stuck lost it about 4 weeks ago when people started game planning for him, and I suspect Curry is not capable of coaching him past it.

The real issue was, down 1 Curry lets SA set up their defense to force a bad 2. Then they get 2 FTs to go up 3, and it's game over because the Spurs know the Pistons have to shoot a 3 to tie. AI was the only Piston with 6 seconds on the clock, outside the arc capable of actually taking a 3, but maybe my eyes failed me in realtime and I didn't see someone else saw. But the only that game could have ended worse, would have been an after the buzzer heave because they were trying to get a better show against the premier defensive team in the last decade.

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I haven't been able to watch many games this season because I'm logging about 80 hours a week in my new job. I did watch last night's game and had a few observations:

1. I like A.I., but there is something about him that seems to make the 4 other guys complacent on offense. I thought he was a bit of a ball hog last night but not horrible. He kept the team in it, but something tells me he is just as happy taking 25-30 shots and losing than taking 10-15 shots and the team winning.

2. Curry doesn't know what he's doing. But I feel for him. I'm a rookie professor and, at times, I don't know what I'm doing. But my boss isn't planning on firing me. Curry needs to seek help from his assistant coaches if he doesn't know what he's doing. I don't think he should be fired. Not yet. But I do think Joe should lean on him a bit. The 7-man rotation was ridiculous. Curry should be held accountable. And if he doesn't have good answers, he needs to figure out some.

3. McDyess deserves a raise. He deserves a raise simply for having a heart.

4. Sheed should be moved to another team. He is a good defender, but he takes too many poor shots.

5. Stuck looks confused out there. Kind of reminds me of when LB was "mentoring" Billups.

6. Tay looks pretty average out there. Lack of consistency. If he were traded, I wouldn't mind it.

7. This team no longer meshes well. I guess C-Note was the straw that stirred the drink. When he left, all the other pieces fell to pieces.

8. I think this team should put together a trade package and go after Hasheem Thabeet (UConn) in the draft.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This game actually wasn't as painful to watch as the recent games against the Bulls or Bucks. Say what you will about SAS, they are always a tough team with a great coach even if they're playing their 235th straight game on the road with every player playing blindfolded.

There were some things I liked.
    • Overall, it seemed like we were bringing the ball up to court a little faster.
    • There were people cutting in to collapse the D or receive a pass when someone had the ball on the perimeter instead of just waiting around.
    • Maxiell played 25 minutes and almost had a double-double.
    • I loved watching Max get in Bonner's face.
    • Dice did a decent enough job of defending Duncan.
    • You just have to love both Dice and Sheed flying out of bounds to save a loose ball.
    • We finally outscored an opponent in the 4th quarter
    I think at the end of the day, Curry was just out-coached by Pops. I cannot for the life of me understand how Curry thought that Sheed shooting a wild fade away with Duncan all over him at the end was a "good play". Also, AI attempting the last two 3 pointers was a poor choice. I agree with Roscoe that the timeout he called at the end was a poor choice, allowing Pops to set up his D.

The last quarter of the game really reminded me of any Sixers playoff game post their trip to the finals. AI trying to beat a higher-seed playoff team 1-on-5. It just ain't gonna work. It'll be fun to watch, but it just won't work.

BTW, I loved the Sager interview with Popovich after the 1st quarter. Pops looked at Sager with the same disgust he'd have looking at week-old monkey spit. :)

17. Patron

Don't get me wrong. AI can hit 3's. AI attended to 3-PT shootout in all-star weekend ( 2000) and if i remember correct he had records in international basketball ( seven 3 pointers in a row without miss in one quarter) and in nba playoffs (8 or 9 three pointers in one game)

But definetely it's not his shot to take that three in the end of last game. Sheed had to be our choice. AI was double-teamed way behind the arc and forced to very difficult shot. Whilie the attention was on him Sheed would be the best choice.

Last play before the forced 3 was a terrible decision too. We had to go with AI for a layup or to take a foul when he was on fire.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great post, and nice to see you around gazoo. I'm sure your job will get easier.

Well, if anyone has the inside scoop on him, it's you.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I noticed that Bowen was shadowing AI on the last play.

20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like the play where AI brings it up, dribbles left, crosses over and drives through the lane, turns around and cuts left again on the baseline and pulls up for a turnaround jumper with 2 seconds on the shot clock while the 4 other guys stand there and watch.

[​IMG]

We Got Thabeet!