San Antonio Spurs Feb. 19th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 9, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Joe did nothing by the trade deadline. His only chance of making the Pistons respectable this season is getting rid of Curry. BILL LAIMBEER! BILL LAIMBEER! BILL LAIMBEER!!!!

COME ON JOE! Terry Porter got fired and he HAD head coaching experience before he got that job.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This was a winnable game, but Curry calls a time out with Bowen on the bench, stops the momentum and draws up a bonehead play that was destined for another loss.

Reggie Miller was the second best coach out there tonight behind Popovich. He questioned the Pistons shot selection and MC's strategy as if he was a subscriber to this forum:sssh:

Now the players...only two really showed up and that was AI and Dice and we could give a little credit to Max, but he gave up 5 three pointers to Bonner and had a couple bonehead offensive fouls that stopped momentum.

Stuckey despite his 8 dimes (7 in the first half) was a no show in the second half was never aggressive as he had his hands full with Tony Longoria...

Rip and Tay were a combine 5-20 shooting and Sheed was 4-17...why Curry set up a play for him to take the possible winning shot is beyond me or even Sheed himself.

5 losses in a row and 5 potential losses coming up....does MC and Joe want a lottery pick this year or not??:yellowprison:

3. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think the play was for iverson, but he could not get open so he passed the ball to sheed. THe point being if he had not called a timeout, bowen would have never been in the game. This is beyond anything I have ever witness. The nation keeps getting a glimpse of MC and wonders what was joe thinking.

4. LA Dre

MC must have thought this was a playoff game...went with a 7 man rotation and still had a chance to win...why no Amir or Alflollo is a question that Craig Sager asked and one Joe should surely ask...while he telling him to clean out his office

5. tremaine

tremaine Second Round Draft Pick

Rotations and plays that make little if any sense, only 7 players play, Iverson just about the only one scoring...

Wow, it's like old times for me as a Nuggets watcher. When George Karl was at his worst last year, the Nuggets would lose games exactly like the Pistons just lost this one. (Karl is really bad when he's at his worse, so that's saying something.)

Pistons need to make 5th seed or they are going to be swept by either Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando, just like the Nuggets were swept by the Lakers last year.

6. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

Completely agree with you. Also the timeout MC took at the end was unforgivable. You broke the momentum and let Bowen in and drew an iso for Sheed (4/17). Then you went with AI for 3 instead of Sheed.

We won't be in playoffs with Curry. FIRE HIM!

7. tremaine

tremaine Second Round Draft Pick

Am just flat out confused about MC now. I thought it was great in the first 10 weeks that he tried about 10 different lineups out and frequently played 9 players. Even greater that he tackled the Iverson thing by making sure Iverson didn't take the whole offense over.

But this game it looked like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

I thought it was already understood that small ball doesn't work well. With all the small ball played in this game, the only reason the Pistons were even in the game was because Ginobilli was out.

Why MC, why are you doing what you are doing?? We need explanations here.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

go ahead and jump, Pod...i'll be the sloppy mess laying next 2 u! lol:swear2:

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

boy ...that old skool hq nailed this one, didnt he?

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Now for a philosophical moment with Star:

Today's words of wisdom come from Aesop:
    So, various Pistons players tuned out Rick Carlisle, the guy that instilled the "force." A very good coach that Rick guy and while not perfect would've gotten the Pistons to the championship and maybe squeezed out another one or two.

Yes, Larry Brown is a pain and his eye began to wander first, but however it went down, he was in New York when it was all said and done. From what I've heard, it was various Pistons honchos that didn't want him anymore.

Back to the various Pistons players that seemingly tuned out Flip Saunders and eventually got him fired. Maybe he sucked. Maybe the players' commitment sucked even more, but he's gone.

A whole lot of ECF appearances, one championship and a whole lot of ex-coaches.

Now, it's time for a revolt. Now, it's time for the players to demand another coach. Now, it's time to beg Joe.

However, "nobody believes a liar...even when he is telling the truth!"

The wolf is Michael. The sheep are players' careers, legacies and bodies. He is gobbling them up as we speak and do you know what he says after each burp?

"They good."

12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Ok, anyone now think that we miss Chauncey? I sure do. Clutch Free Throws and 3 pointers.

13. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Heh. I was thinking that you guys miss Flip. Or Larry. Or Rick. Or Chuck. Or...Alvin Gentry.

14. LA Dre

Well at least Terry Porter did win 28 games before he was canned:ohwell:

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First and foremost, again, Curry needs to be fired. So now he is going to a 7 man rotation? Just watch, next he will go to a 6 man rotation, using Tay as the backup big, dropping JMAX out too. I would put nothing past the guy at this point. We match up quite well with SA. No way we should lose to this team. It takes a coach basically wanting to give the game away. Which of course, Curry seems quite bent on doing.

Effort. Lots of effort. No end to how much effort the Pistons put out there. All they can. Including all two old men paired together as starters can possibly give. Sheed came out & hit a couple of shots. But guess what. You tell Sheed to play like a 22 year old, and his game gets kind of raggy. Just 2 of 14 the rest of the game for Sheed.

Anyone want to pin this loss on Dyess? Hey, why couldn't he play like a 22 year old, so Sheed could rest more. Dyess ain't 22, and he has had knee surgeries. He can't do it. Dyess had a fine game, lots of boards and points. (14 and 14 I think. Good shooting.) Still, how about defensive rotations? Transition D? Neither Dyess nor Sheed can do the job.

Now, thru much of the game, Curry did not really do that badly as far as pairing these two old men together. He was lucky in this respect, as Dyess got into some foul trouble in the first quarter. Curry even got lucky a second time, as JMAX got fouled and was at the free throw line when Sheed was ready to come in at the end of the 2nd quarter. So Dyess sat instead. After that, he even played JMAX a lot in the 2nd half. But darn, you just knew how the end of the game was going to go. Sheed and Dyess paired up. Both with heavy minutes behind them. Two old men. 3 and 7 now in close games of late with these two paired up at the end of a game. (2 of the wins against cellar dwellars by the way.)

Two old men everyone, including Curry, said should not be paired up when the season began. Two old men, who everyone on the planet still knows should not be paired up - except for Curry.

AI had a fine shooting game. Got to the basket plenty. Drew some fouls. AI even dished assists. Ball hog? Rip was not hitting his shots. AI was. You go with the hot hand. AI scored 31 on efficient shooting.

Stuckey did little in the scoring department, but did have 8 assists. One real nifty move to the basket. Just quicks and niftyness, nothing spectacular though. Defense ok.

We jumped out to a good lead, 12 points - after scoring the first 9. But hey, all the sudden we find Parker killing us on pick and rolls and our lead was mostly gone before Curry put a pick and roll defender in the game (JMAX). Even then, heck, it was the foul trouble that forced the change. I don't think Curry even follows any of this sort of thing. You know, defense?

Lets talk about just how silly it is to start Dyess and Sheed in this particular game. Dyess checked Duncan pretty darn good in this one. So did Sheed. Neither needed much help. So who is the other player guarding when not guarding Duncan? Bonner. Bonner shoots 3's. You know, like, out on the perimeter. You really need either Sheed or Dyess to be playing out on the perimeter? Neither can do that and ever get a rebound for you. So why did Dyess get rebounds? He did not bother to go out on the perimeter. Bonner was shooting wide open 3's and making them. Much of the time while JMAX was in, in contrast, he was following Bonner well on the perimeter. (one slip up trying to provide help to Dyess who said no thanks, I got this guy - but once I can forgive.) Did JMAX then not get bounds. Of course he did. He has plenty of quicks to get back for rebounds, even from out on the perimeter.

We played our starters, Rip, and JMAX. Thats it. Curry is personally setting the franchise back about 4 years. This game was probably the easiest we are going to see in the next couple of weeks. They get harder, and you can't adjust the rotation much down from here.

Tay, not much. Made an outside shot early. JMAX hit some shots. Too bad someone won't clue him in that it is legal to shoot jumpers from the free throw line. He need not stand there and do something he is not comfortable with. One, he would shoot a higher percentage vs. what he is doing. Two, it would keep his J warm.

No Afflalo. No Amir. Curry thinks he is being cute. But he is just losing. Becoming basically, a loser. He needs to be fired, for the good of the team. Tonight. Why wait until after the next five losses. We are still a game over .500. Give the next coach something.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The strange philosophy is that, like Flip, MC sees the bench players only as filler. His rationale tonight was that we have a big break after the game, so it is a good game to tax the starters. He doesn't seem to be considering that our depth can help us play better. Considering MC was a lifelong role/ bench player, you would think that his world view would be much different.

About the Spurs. Bowen is Rip's cryptonite. It really is amazing how inside his head he is. Bowen should put out a youtube video on how to completely shut down Rip Hamilton.

Also, if it were possible, would you trade Sheed straight up for Bonner? He's like Sheed without the drama.

17. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Hey let's look at the bright side of things, the Pistons can't play any worse and they are still going to make the playoffs. If we didn't care so much this would almost be amusing watching a clueless coach take a talented team and turning them into the LA Clippers!

Someone has to explain to me why Rodney Stuckey only took 3 shots all game? The kid is a scoring machine and he had that one gorgeous drive right down the middle and after that he just kind of seemed lost. One thing about Curry he sucks the lifeblood and enthusiasm out of his players and they look positively plodding out there. You almost think these guys are working in a gulag breaking rocks in 30 below weather and not doing something that many of us would only dream of getting a chance to do.

I can't wait to read Lee's recap which is my highlight of the night after watching a game, even one that we lose.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

It's a shame all the lies tossed around in the NBA (and all pro sports) are so expensive. A lot of that money could be spent on better people deserving better.

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey great post. And so true. It's always the coach's fault, except when it really is. :MusicBigGrin:

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I guess that was Curry's idea of getting him involved in the offense..