San Antonio March 14th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It appears that there is a large contingent in this forum that would prefer Amir and Aaron playing over a Pistons win.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Define large. :)

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't want to see a loss, but i don't want to see crap wins like these. If you think these bench players and the starters playing 40 min is the road to the championship, i don't know what to tell ya.

I'm more interested in seeing wins in the playoffs.

At the end of the season, I'm really curious to see what the opinions are. I'm not saying that in a spiteful way. I'm really honestly curious what people will say when the inevitable happens. Last year it was we didn't hit shots; they were tired; Sheed's a cancer; The year before MIA was better; Ben's a cancer. Will people blame Flip this year?

4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Crap wins?

Don`t quite understand what a crap win is. The starters are avg about 32 mpg so far this year, far from 40 mpg.

As I told someone else earlier in the year, I would love to see the opinions if somehow the Pistons do happen to win it all (I know that`s a tall order at the moment with or without AA and AJ) with AA and AJ seeing limited minutes.

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Maybe crap win is too strong. Meaningless, unproductive win is better. It's not about what the starters are avg. this year. What you saw last night was the playoff rotation. That's what a majority of our playoff games are going to look like which basically means developing the youngsters was for nothing. Flip won't play them which is just sad since they are better then the bench/players and in one case IMO the starter playing in front of them.

It makes no sense; why put yourself at a disadvantage by taking two players that have been making an impact out of the rotation esp for Juan Dixon. It's painfully obvious that we've been struggling since. I just don't get the logic.

As you said it's a tall order, but i just think the chances are better the more talent you have playing and the more options you have.

It wouldn't be a big deal if Flip knew how to utilize all his players. I don't want to see Theo DNP, but he can take min from Dyess who we could probably agree has been turning into Ben Wallace offensively from dead legs.

What happens in the PO's when a quick guard starts lighting us up, do we use AA or do we just do nothing (a la Tony Parker)?

Or when we play an athlethic team like Philly, and our 35 year old bigs can't rotate fast enough? Does Amir continue to sit?

6. Dlev59

IMO, I don`t think there is such a thing as a meaningless, unproductive win.

And honestly, do you think a rookie would actually stop a player like a Tony Parker in the playoffs? Not to mention get any calls from the refs.

Let`s face it, if our playoff hopes rest on AA stopping quick penetrating guards, or AJ being the difference against an athletic team, WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Often when there are two teams of equal level, the little things make a difference, an energy play here, a defensive sequence there.

It's not even about AA stopping TP. It's about AA not being Dixon, and immediately triggering a run for the other team, and another defender that you can use to switch it up who can actually defend. It's not as much that AA/Amir are the best players ever as they are the best players WE have off the bench and it's stupid not to use them. What does it hurt to try?

Remember that defensive stretch in the BOS game with AA, or the stretch in the PHO game with Amir? Little things like that can turn a game.

Also, i belive AJ can make a huge impact just with his mobility alone. Having a good defender who is quick and can double/rotate recover and block the occassional shot is huge in the PO's. He doesn't have to be the difference. He just has to help, and make the game easier for the starters. Maybe an extra 10 min stretch of rest.

Bench players often make a difference in a series (We don't need to look further than Daniel Gibson). Just like Dixon's 4 min last night did. Can you imagine that happening in a PO game? It would be really difficult to come back from that against BOS. You will see BOS bench players in that series. Big baby Davis, Tony Allen, etc. The question is where will ours be?

The last few years we have looked old and slow so our solution as the PO's near is to scrap youth and get old and slow again ?

Playing them won't garuntee a ring, but it will definately give us a better chance. There's no need to repeat the past two years.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amir = Tayshaun in '03. You guys are defending Carlisle right now.

San Antonio needs to win almost every game because the Western race is so tight. We, on the other hand, can lose out the season and still be fine. I can see why the starters play some minutes, so they don't get rusty. But really, what is the point in doing anything out of the ordinary to win a game right now? How stupid would it be to injure a starter? The only possible thing that we are gunning for (the top seed), is not something that we even want. Why not just stick to the formula that got us the 2nd best record in the NBA? Our bench has been huge this year, and Amir and Afflalo have been a big part of that.

I'm not trying to choose our youth over a win. I'm trying to choose our youth plus a more dominating win. Do you think Popovich is frightened by us after that last game? He knows that with Bowen in the game, that was a Spurs win. At SA, that would have also been a Spurs win.

9. max

max All-Star

I am all for saving player development for the junkie teams. When a team like the Spurs come into town its a matter of pride to defeat them.

In case anyone noticed, Stucky is still playing regular mins and Theo got in some good practice with the guys against a quality team.

Stick around a few years lprgirl. You should absolutly love the next rebuilding phase, it will be development time galore.

10. max

max All-Star

Its a vocal minority.

I think we still have to try and save Home Court against the West in case we do actually win the East. You can win one playoff series on the road but trying to win back to back on the road against whoever is left at that stage is tough - as in 05.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's the thing. I actually like Ratliff a lot. I would be bummed if he were just sitting and watching.

And beating the Spurs is great. But why didn't the Spurs shorten their rotation for us?

12. Dlev59

I honestly hope what you are saying comes to pass. I don`t want you or anyone to believe that I am against AA and AJ playing now and into the playoffs.

What I don`t understand is, some folks are bent on believing our 2007-2008 season depends on two very young players.

If the Pistons come short this year it will be a collective effort - all the way from Joe D to the last player on the bench.

You noted some of the positive play from AA and AJ, however, you failed to mention games where they both looked lost on the court. Of course they are young and bad games happen, so, how do we know what player will show up in the playoffs?

If that player (Amir) who has quickness and mobility picks up 3 fould in 3 minutes or (AA) commits a couple of bonehead turns, then what? Do you bench them? Or, do you keep giving them chances in the playoffs?

They both will get their chance, I just don`t think it will be this year, unless someone goes down with an injury. Perhaps, I will be proved wrong, if it results in a few wins, I hope I am.

13. max

max All-Star

Their Center and Shooting guard or Small forward spot is done by committee so they kind of have to play the bench. Maybe we could pull something like that off if we had Tim Duncan on our team. They only have 1 rookie though and I don't think he has played in more than 5 games or so.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

a lot of you are forgetting how few minutes the bench played when we won the Finals

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Fair enough, but what's worse throwing them in there and seeing what they can do, or not knowing at all?

I'm so anxious for the playoffs already. The regular season seems extra long these past 2 months or so.

edited to add;

Warthog, we were dominant back then and had one of the best coaches in the game. Now it seems like it's going to require alot more effort and help from many players. Ben Wallace was essentially our "superstar".

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe my memory is failing me, but we didn't have the second best record in a stacked league that year, did we? The media wasn't all over us talking about how "dominant" we were, were they?

Now, I do think you and those who agree with you are making a fair point. But, I'm not worried yet. We have an outstanding team this year. Losses in the past few years have just made a lot of people pessimistic, in my opinion.

17. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

that was 4 years back. All our starters were 4 years younger.

18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Pretty high praise. :cheers:

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Well, this forum seems to be really pissed off, it seems. And it seems that most of you take Lee's concepts automatically. But most of all those are wishful thinkings. Ok, AA and AJ didn't play, I do not like it but I'm not going to crucify flip for this. Collective team effort counts..finally. And you are here clearly overpanicing of starters tiredness. Well, if a starter can't tolerate 40mpg once a week, he sholdn't be a starter. Plain and simple. Calm down, guys, or shoot yourself.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

sorry, your close but currey isn't starting this year... :)

I agree that the younger players should play more but there not going to be the as much the key as folks seem to think.

I see them having energy mins... Play out of there minds in one game and probably get extended mins, there also going to have rotten games where there going to go back to the bench early and probably not get back in the game again.

The goal was to play the youth to get the starters to the playoffs FRESH, they will be and in the playoffs you don't have back to backs the travel is alot less and such.....

everybody points at San Ant as the team that plays the bench... just quickly looking at this year, last years reg, and last year playoffs.... parkers mins in the playoffs last year went up 5 mins a game, duncan and other starters mins went up.... there regular season mins this year are back inline with last years reg seasons mins. Are you telling me there coach is a bad coach because he shortens his bench and rides his starters more?

I agree that AA and AJ are going to be solid parts if not an all star (AJ) some day, but they are going to be playing in the playoffs for the first time and to have to depend on them to win is a little scarey to me. I hope they get burn and show us wrong, but I do like the idea of veterns ready to play those mins so the starters do get some rest.

Saying all that any lose before boston... and anything less then a great series against boston to me will be a failure and signal a need for serious change.