Away Sacramento Kings Wednesday March 14 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2012.
  1. Detroit

60.0%
  2. Sacramento

40.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

10:00 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit Plus / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rodney Stuckey continuing his hot streak with 33 points.....at the end of the third qtr as the Pistons are sporting a 97-81 lead with still a quarter to go.....I know most of you are sleep and will read this tomorrow. but if they lose this one it is because the break between the 3rd and 4th quarter cooled them off. Only five of those 97 points are off the bench.
  3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Lovely game.. Monroe, Stuckey, Knight, those are great numbers for a young core like that!
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Highest scoring game of the season for the Pistons with 124 points. They started off slow on defense and got down by 16 at one point then came all the way back to get within one point at the half, then started to just have their way with the Kings who couldn't stop them at all. Very entertaining game.

Greg had a great game. After a bad game against DMC at the Palace, he bounced back with 32 points and 11 boards, rebounding very well and doing a marvelous job of being in the right place at the right time. He also had 3 assists. The Kings' announcers were full of praise for him, and with good reason. He got past DeMarcus with ease this time, and was as efficient as ever, hitting on 15 of his 20 shots.

Rodney continues to be red hot from the floor, at one point hitting a hat trick of threes in the third quarter to finish with 35 points on a nice 10 of 18 from the field. He also had 6 assists and got 12 free throw attempts, hitting 11. I was a bit concerned when he initially looked like he would be in Collider mode at the start, but he adjusted in the second quarter and played much better, scoring in a variety of ways and kept the defense off balance for the most part. Definitely a Kings killer.

Tayshaun had himself a nice game as well, scoring 28 and shooting right around 60% from the field, to go along with a nice 7 assists. He hit some very timely buckets as well. He had his isotayshaun moments, but they were few and far between, as has been the case for his last 2-3 games. Very good game from him.

Brandon didn't score much, only taking 10 shots and hitting 5 for 10 points, as the Kings' announcers noted clearly deferring to everyone else who were shooting very well from the floor, but it was his passing game that was of note, making some nice pinpoint passes inside and on the perimeter en route to a new career high of 11 assists to go along with 2 steals and 5 boards; it was the third double double of his career. He also didn't turn the ball over once. He had a very nice alley oop from Tay in the third quarter. That's becoming a bit of a staple in the Pistons' offense of late.

BG had another forgettable game, despite shooting 50% from the floor. His first shot was an air balled jumper, and he was just extremely careless with the ball, constantly looking like he would turn it over every time he had it. He ended with 6 points, 1 assist and 3 turnovers in 17 minutes of play. You could tell coach didn't like what he was seeing, as Brandon got all of 2 minutes of rest before coming back in for BG with the Kings on the verge of a run. It seemed the Kings went on runs whenever he was in the game.

I thought Max played pretty well, doing a good job on the glass for the most part, but was plagued by constant foul trouble.

JJ played with the flu which clearly affected his play, as his energy level wasn't as high as it usually is, and he was also in constant foul trouble and ended with only 4 points and 1 rebound in 15 minutes.

Big Ben was ok, but the Kings took advantage of his lack of offense whenever he was on the floor, clogging the lane and keeping him off the boards for the most part.

Wilkins was...ok. He was able to stay with his man for the most part, but he held the ball too long sometimes and made some lousy passes that resulted in TOs.

Good game. The Kings came back on them at the end, but they did a good job of keeping their composure and just running their offense, getting good shots and stops when necessary. Very good ball movement on offense save a few hiccups here and there, and after a defensively atrocious first quarter, they adjusted and did a better job of containing the Kings, as well as rebounding the ball better after halftime. The Kings were out rebounding them in the first half, but the game ended with both teams grabbing the same number of rebounds. Steve Nash and the Suns up next. Should be another fast game.
    basketbills, jzchen and raxrets like this.
  5. LA Dre

Good recap Alexa....the Kings would not go away and kept it close enough where as coach Frankie could not bring in his garbage time crew. So no Daye, Bynum, Walker D or CV sightings.

The starters played like vets tonight and if you look at the final score, the bench was not needed as the starters accounted for 114 of the Pistons total points which was enough to outscore the Kings team (112).

Never have I seen a player like Cousins so upset about every play....Monroe really frustrated him tonight.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons scored more than any other NBA team tonight!

One really strange thing- our starting 5 had 114 points and our bench had 10 points. I'm curious is there has ever been a more lopsided starter-bench game than that? +104

For comparison, the Knicks' starters had 49 points tonight and their bench had 72 points. -23
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Thanks Dre.

Yeah, Cousins was visibly upset by a lot of things, the refs, missing shots... He reminded me a lot of Rasheed, actually, especially after foul calls. He and Greg really do seem to have a bit of a rivalry going on, they really seem to get up for each other. I understand the frustration though; Greg was blowing by him at will on one end, and his shots wouldn't fall for him at the other. He did a good job of keeping himself away from the refs though; Sheed would definitely have blown his top and gotten a tech or two.
    Crazy disparity between the bench and starters. Wow. You could say the same about the team's assist numbers as well; +27 for the starters.

Also, lol at Francisco Garcia and the Kings in the first quarter. Talk about premature celebration.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

A very nice road win for the Pistons. Stuckey, Prince and Monroe got it done.

I'm not sure I even noticed Knight on the floor save for a made basket early on. Maybe that is a good thing.

I can't tell if I really like or dislike the Sacto announcers. Bland is a bit of an understatement for their announcing style, but I doubt there is a better match between the announcers and locale than these guys.

I was surprised how gruesome Stuckey's #'s look for the year given how well I think he has played for a while now.

How much would Joe sign Francisco Garcia for? You know he wouldn't let a key bench player from a perennial 15 win team go easily.

Lawrence Frank!!!
  9. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hate these 10:00 starts, I finished watching this morning because I knew I would never be able to go all day without knowing the score. One more Fri night.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

11 helpers from the kid last night and we don't really notice it.... EXCELLENT thing... The fact he can be the floor general get others there points in good spots 2 30 point scorers and Prince only a bucket away from 30.... and did I mention ZERO TO's. I think I'm about to start making the kool aid for this kid, I'll be selling it cheap too :D
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game, the starters had 160 points and the bench (one guy) had 9 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain's_100-point_game#Box_score
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

13. BillLaimbeer

I'm not computing your win-loss record anymore. Panda got mad because my picking percentage was so high. He thought I was bragging too much.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

So you think your so good you don't have to keep track anymore.... I see, always with the bragging :D
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not to pick on your post, but I feel lazy and will just respond to what you wrote instead of writing my own cap. Hmm, how kind of you, to not mention that our bench gave up that 16 point lead. And how about the fact that not only did our bench not score hardly in this game, but their bench outscored their starters? Our bench is horrid, and no, the flu did not effect JJ's game at all - but rather the fact he was drawfed by the opposing power foward. JJ does not get any better, as a power forward. On the other hand, JJ could have played and done just fine in this game - as the backup small forward - replacing Wilkins who went a blazing minus 17 in this game. Our coach is being a bit dilusional, in continuing to run that bench out there against NBA competition.

Our starters, as a group, played just about flawless on offense. Of course, Sactown is the worst defensive team in the NBA. Maxiell had yet another fine game, as did Knight, but games by Tay, Stuck, and Monroe simply overwhelmed those performances. And if you focus on that comeback, combined with us going up double digits, hey, that there was 75% shooting, as the announcers pointed out. Wow.

Wilkins. More negative in points than minutes played.

Rodney hit 4 3's to end the 3rd quarter. (one coming a couple minutes after the 3 consecutive.) Yet he still got to the line a dozen times, making all but one. Monster game indeed.

For the most part, Tay was simply hitting one jumper after another - but he got inside a lot too, forcing the other team to lay off him, giving him room for those outside shots.

The reason Knight got a lot of assists, he loves to push the ball up the floor. In the past, we have had to settle for guards who were content to walk the ball up the floor - or in Stuckey's case having to walk the ball up the floor because he had teammates who just would not get moving. Now, hey, we move, and move fast and often. Love to see the contrast.

And the other major differece - the post up game is back. JMAX is working the post pretty effectively these days while Monroe is a monster inside. That is, if we even need to go to the post up game, after a fast break attempt has to be halted because their defense got back in time.

Now, with all that good stuff said about our starters - our bench is in every way just as bad as you can get. It features no fast breaks, as Gordon simply ain't a guard, but rather just a scorer. No post up game. Not even the remotest of one. Big Ben is all defense and no offense at all, while JJ is a total joke as a power forward. Our bench, as constructed, is pure garbage. A talentless player, in Wilkins, rounds out this absurd unit. No way leaving one of Stuckey or Knight out there as the other guard can save such a travesty of a group of players.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice find. That is for sure the record. It is an impossible record to search for other than using the hunt and peck method.

I definitely noticed Knight in this game- I just kept thinking that he seems extremely fast and finishes well for how fast he's going on breaks. You'd think that Frank would push for a faster tempo over the next few years to take advantage of that speed and the passing ability and ball handling of Tay and Monroe.
  17. BillLaimbeer

When is the last time the Pistons had 3 guys score 28+ points in one game?
  18. LA Dre

The one that comes to mind is back in 1983 when the Pistons beat the Nuggets above altitude 186-184 in the triple OT game where Zeke scored 47, John Long scored 41 and Kelly Tripucka dropped 35 pts. I'm sure it must have happen since then, but I will let one of the official stats guys do the research...
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the closest that I could find. Fell just short of 3 x 28, but made up for it with another player over 20. http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200503140ATL.html

March 14, 2005. Pistons over the Hawks 114-108

Prince- 31
    Sheed- 28
    Rip- 23
    Billups- 22
    Ben W- 4
    ________
    Dyess- 6

That was all the scoring! So, starters 108, bench 6. + 102 (just barely behind our differential against SAC last night).
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor