1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Sacramento Kings Jan.2nd, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I only saw the first half, but was horrified by AI's poor shooting. Glad to hear he improved in the 2nd.

Amir showing again why he's tough to dismiss. Although I'll remain a critic until he can do this consistently. But he probably won't get the minutes consistently when Sheed and Dysse are back.

2. max

max All-Star

Yes but he is not just a guy out there missing shots. AI draws a lot of attention. Its no coincidence how some of the other players have had these huge games.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Wow. What a stretch of games the past few weeks.

Could it be that this team is showing glimpses of "playing the right way"?

Maxiel still needs to go after the defensive rebounds with the same voracity that he attacks the offensive glass with, but what else is new about that? I'll tell you what is new....that a Piston is committing a foul at the rim, and fans can stand up and congratulate the young man on laying a good foul on the opponent. Stuff that makes them think about where guys are. Maxey gave us a little of that last night, so I'm happy despite the obvious rebounding deficiencies he has to work on.

Iverson and Stuckey. What more can be said? This tandem could be nearly impossible to guard in a playoff series. They are so deadly and yet so interchangeable at the same time. It's hard to contain the penetrator when they can both slice a defense to shreds off the dribble. Best shot you give them as a defender is a semi-contested 15-18 footer, and that is realistically the best case scenario if those two stay patient out there. I am really starting to feel that this backcourt offers far more potential reward than the one we ended last season with. Chauncey and Rip need skilled jumpshooting big men to be effective in an offense. With AI and Stuck all the guy needs is a pulse. They will break the defense down. They will find you. Be ready for it. The bigs seem to be catching on...hopefully.

Amir did an excellent job. If he ever gets consistent with this production he can definitely be one heck of a piece. Right now I still take issue with his defensive rebounding, same as Jason, but to a lesser degree. Sure he got 14. 8 defensive. Tayshaun got 10 defensive rebounds. If you want to be a big man in this league Amir outperform Gumby on the boards and help hold Sacramento to less than 19 offensive rebounds. That goes for the entire team. Solid rebounding could have negated many of those stupid second/third chance fouls.

All in all it was a fun game to watch. The more the season progresses the more I get the feeling that some of the crazier illogical looking stuff Curry pulls out of his butt are really calculated moves. Right now he is still in the "could just be getting lucky" phase so I won't go patting him on the back just yet, but in hindsight a few things that seemed really stupid then look like lessons being taught now.
    Or perhaps I just need another cup of coffee. Anybody want to flip for it?

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm afraid you're right. Yes, he was playing against a seven footer part of the time, but this isn't the first game he's been invisible. He's trying to play a power game at Barkley's height, but without Barkley's skills.

That was an amazing game from Kwame. Several times he took the ball at the top of the key and drove the lane for a dunk. But, I think it pretty clearly highlights Kwame's main problem - his motivation is extrinsic not intrinsic. If he's heading into a situation with something to prove, he can show why he came into the league with so much hype. But the great players don't need a hostile crowd to get them playing at their best. Hands and all, Kwame has the skills, but will never have the head.

Amir played the entire first half without a foul and played extremely well. Then in the third the evil step brother Amir came out of the locker room - more fouls than board plus blocks combined in the third. Progress no doubt, and the first glimmer I've seen that shows he can play differently from what he has shown. I also don't remember seeing his traditional Curry in-your-face greeting party anytime he came off the floor.

5. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Don't know about that one. Amir has been amazing on the boards and with Sheed and Dyess being older, they need more rest. I suspect most of Sheed's and Dyess's minutes come from the center spot while AJ holds down PF with some time for Max to back him up.

Amir's worth has really been revealed these last 4 or so games and I don't think there is any going back.

Kwame's minutes will definitely get cut though. He is going to be a game by game situational player.

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I don't think Amir would have any problem out rebounding Tay if that was the only thing he concentrated on. Amir is so "all over the place" on offense and defense that he has to use his athleticism to rebound. How many times does he fly acroos the lane from the weak side to alter a shot each game? That takes him out of rebounding position. He is so active he is almost hyper-active.

That is why he is racking up fouls at such a horrid pace. He is trying to prevent all five guys from the other team from scoring. He is trying to make plays that can't be made. Instead of giving up two points and admitting the defense let one through he will take the foul.

He needs to learn that you are not going to shut out the opposition so you just need to give them the buckets they have earned. Right now I don't think that he realizes that it is becoming more important for him to play more minutes under control then less minutes out of control. By giving up a hoop or two by not fouling will make us a better team as he develops.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Okay, you convinced me. Amir could outrebound Tay if he wanted to.

He needs to start wanting it and quit putting his teammates in a disadvantaged position to get defensive rebounds.

Certainly you have noticed that Maxiel and Amir show much more zeal when it's the offensive glass that they are pounding, right?

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why do I get the feeling that if Stuckey played one game against DET he'd shoot somewhere between 75-100 FT's in that game? 10 free throws when they had Lil' Nocioni on him and he took 29 shots? It was great to hear Curry at the end of the game say to the ref, 'If they can't guard him they can't guard him. You're calling touch fouls on us and he drives and gets nothing.'

Imagine if AI took 29 shots in a game?

Curry is pushing Kwame and Amir. Athletic ability alone isn't good enough. They need to be able to think out there. I think this will pay off down the road.

The next step for Stuckey is getting the D to move and getting wide open shots for everyone else.

The AI/Stuckey combo works. Watching how much easier AI could score off of Stuckey versus what they need to do to get TGRH a shot was evident last night. The exit sign may be getting closer.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So far, Amir is 9-2 as a starter this year. The only two losses? First two games for AI with us. And Curry decides he can take Afflalo out of the rotation.

Now, by now, everyone can see Afflalo belongs out there in the 2nd quarter, playing good solid perimeter D. In my opinion, if you went back to those two games, with what Curry now realizes, and we win those two games. Because Afflalo would have played in those 2nd quarters.

In other words, except for a gross coaching error, we should be 11-0 with Amir starting at power forward. Imesho, you can't get more consistent than that.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good observation Lee....if he starts the rest of the season and Afflalo plays significant minutes at the right time, then we go undefeated and win the title. Somebody get this stat to Curry and Joe. :thumb:

I agree though that he should be in the starting lineup and playing at least 25 minutes a game as long as he stays out of foul trouble. He seems to make the difference with our defensive sets and it has turned into W's.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm not sure it is just Amir though. I think taking one of the 3 guards out of the lineup, has been addition by subtraction.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Sheed watched the game from home last night, rumour has it he did get upset over all of the fouls called on the Pistons and his wife gave him a tech and threw him out of the viewing room.

Didn't read the news this morning, but I think Kelser or Blaha said it was the first time since 2005 that they did not hit a three ball?

Also this was the first time since the 79-80 season that every/all NBA teams were in action.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One other thing that I noticed is that AI seems to always look for KB out there and has been throwing him somereally aggressive passes. I wonder if they have some chemistry going in... practice. Or maybe AI's just making an effort to help him.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know you may say what you said somewhat in jest - and I see there is another poster here who is absolutely sure we are not Championship caliber this year; however, I am not talking in jest at all. Let me say it clearly. The Pistons are so good, player wise, that we absolutely could be undefeated at this point in the season. Every loss so far has been from Curry playing rotations that do not work, or not playing a key player like Afflalo.

The season on a whole has seen us play a lot of games going too big, using Kwame and Sheed to start games, leaving us lacking in defensive speed around the basket. And a bunch of games where we have gone too small. Note, all this small ball, even in the Sacramento game, is losing basketball. Last night for instance, Curry put the W at risk by simply leaving Kwame out of the mix most of the game. Kwame could have easily played 35 minutes, and we could have easily buried Sactown. Just by playing logical rotations. (a center, a power forward, a small forward, a shooting guard, a point guard. There, that does not seem so hard to do, right Curry?)

Now, to support what I am saying - we have had 6 quality wins so far - and each time we matched up with the other team right, and each time Afflalo played a large role in shoring up our D. These wins: Lakers. Cleveland, Orlando, SA, Milwaukee with their big three all playing, and NJ playing on the road where they have a very good record.

If we lost a game, we did not match up right, or Afflalo was forgotten.

Now, what if we get it right from here on. Start AI, Stuckey, Tay, Amir, and Sheed the rest of the year - unless a team like the Lakers, which uses two lumbering centers in their starting unit, occasionally calls for Kwame to start instead of Amir.

Do not overplay Dyess, but rather always keep Kwame involved. Do not play Dyess and Sheed together for the most part, which often leaves us, again, too slow around the basket. Ditto for the Dyess, Kwame combo. Don't do it beyond minimal.

In short, avoid small ball, and almost always have a quick power forward in the game, like Amir or JMAX. And always play a center. Going forward, with Sheed, Dyess, and Kwame all available, this should be the easiest part.

In my opinion, barring some major injuries, yes, the Pistons can go on a huge run of wins. No limit how long a run. And for sure, they can win it all this year.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm not going to get down on max...he brings toughness that no one else does.

with the score 25-18, stuckey drove the lane for a tear-drop that counted. simultaneously max got called for an offensive foul by literally shoving a kings player to the ground under the basket (salmons or martin? can't remember). i think i rewound and watched that 5 times just to chuckle.

also, max owns cleveland and brings it against boston and orlando and has already proven to make big plays in the playoffs.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like his hard fouls, emphatic blocks, and monster dunks.

On the rebounding side, look at how many boards Miller got, and he was flat footed. A big part of rebounding is being big and tall. When Max is going up against centers and even a lot of PF's, he has to time his jumps vs. just reach up. It is what it is.

He's a tool that a coach has to use wisely.

17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Max reminds me a bit of Bad Boy Rick Mahorn, just pushing and shoving and doing all the dirty work.
    I also must say that Pistons are looking like the team with the "we come to work" attitude more and more, and it is all done by the youngsters, Arron, Stuckey, Amir, Kwame and Max. I can only hope it rubbs of the vets once Sheed and Rip return.
    Class game again.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Is there some possibility for petition "fire Blaha and hire...Hooper" b/c of his cliches are extremely annoying and this Stucky - All Star talk was premature. Deron Williams, Devon Harris put much bigger numbers on table yet they are far from "stardom".

I'm willing to listen Kelser b/c of he talks so little.

:flame::flame::flame:

19. max

max All-Star

This team is capable of winning it all.

This was also the most energetic crowd I have seen in a long time. I don't know if it was the near 40 point game by Stucky or the fact that the rest of the team stepped it up being so shorthanded. Whatever the reason it was an 04 type atmosphere.

One thing I have not heard in years was a players name being chanted in the wanning moments of a game as the was the case for Stucky.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To get George, it's a "Detroit Thing".

Blaha has been doing the play by play, nearly my entire life. I've probably listened to George more than both of my parents combined.

Sure he has to shill tickets and excitement, but the man has seen so much history, and in recent years, he's even developed a nasty streak (with the refs) it's hard not to love him.