Away Sacramento Kings Friday, November 15, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, Monroe continues his bragging rights over Cousins.

The announcers noted that the Piston starting front line was tops in the league in two things, points in the paint, and rebounding. Sounds like that is working. Smith is making enough outside shots to make it not too jammed up inside. Of course, another way to look at it, our bigs all know how to pass the ball to each other, or cutters, all of which builds up our points in the paint numbers. And our fast breaks help that too.

Drummond had some knockaways. A monster game for him. In all, our front line did a 44 point, 30 rebound, 9 steal, 4 block, 8 assist night. I would not change a thing about our front line.

Coach coached for a win in the 2nd half, pretty much avoiding using a bench unit. Just Singler and Stuckey came in off the bench. Stuckey never left once in, and neither did Singler. Singler subbed for Monroe and then Drummond, with Smith playing the whole 2nd half - as did Jennings.

Bynum had the worst plus / minus stat in this one, but hey, he was in with a unit that could not function in any way, shape or form on either end of the floor.

Singler had a so so first half, as he hit some shots, but also gave up way too many points on the other end. But in the 2nd half, while he did not shoot it straight, SacTown burnt him less often. I still say Mitchell should get those minutes. I like good defense.

We looked great to start the game. Often, Pope was seen doing stuff that Billups could not, especially on running hard on fast breaks. The start of the 2nd half was not as good offensively, but we did just fine defensively there.

There is absolutely no reason Jennings and Pope could not have started this one, with Stuckey coming in to backup Jennings. And Singler could have come in as the backup shooting guard just a bit. Mitchell backs up the front line. I believe we would have destroyed SacTown front to back with this rotation.
    LA Dre and brofmfa like this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think they did start this one.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not to argue or anything. But please include the whole sentence when quoting me. Thanks.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The pieces fit tonight as the Pistons got strong performances from virtually everyone.

Good Josh Smith and Good Brandon Jennings both showed up. What a handle displayed by Smith who made impactful plays all over the court. Jennings did a good job between being careful while still being aggressive. He was in control and leading. Let's see how long before he does that again?

Singler had a few ghastly air balls, but still played his best game since last season.

Stuckey made it work also. I am no fan and it bummed me out when he stayed in for KCP after he checked in, but he did well in getting to middle of the floor under control and either scoring himself or dishing for quality shots. He hit some big shots along the way.

I felt like the Pistons as a whole did a good job of getting inside and still passed on taking 6 or 7 good shots from the center of the paint to kick it out for a 3.

I really like Cousins. He played hard.

Good game by Drummond. I bet the nervous Nellie's were ready to pounce when he had the rough shooting stretch in the 3rd Q. He did much better defensively as a helper.

The Pistons seemed much more locked in on D to start. The Kings helped them with some easy turnovers. Not being down double digits early was nice.
    LA Dre and Lee356 like this.
  5. roscoe36

I see it now. Just a weird sentence.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Boogie might have saved us a whole lot of money in terms of Moose's contract.
    Jennings only took 3 shots that made me scream expletives at the TV, good game from the guy.
    Dre's defense was 10x's better tonight than what it has been along with everyone else's. Guys were really rotating well.
    Singler was Singler. BTW, Wilson Chandler had 19 pts in 22 minutes for Denver coming off the bench against Minny.
    JJ played and did well.
    Stuckey plays well once every 4 games, so tonight he delivered right on schedule, really good game for him off the bench tonight.
    I LOVE KCP!!!! His hustle and defense is just amazing! I mean this kid can flat out play and he's just going to get better and better! There's so many little things he does that contribute to a win that will never show up in the stat sheet. Wish he would have played more mins but Stuck had it going tonight so I won't complain. I'd like to see Cheeks stick with a 3 guard rotation of Jennings, KCP and Stuck just to see how it looks.
    Josh Smith earned his money tonight! Goodness gracious!!! His stat sheet was just ridiculous but at the end I think he was trying to get a triple double so he started to overpass the ball.
    2 of our 3 bigs play well every night, when all 3 play well we're very dangerous.
    This teams success hinges on the development of Dre, Jennings and KCP.
    Good road win.
    LA Dre and Lee356 like this.
  7. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Still gotta sort out this 3 point shooting, but other than that was really happy with the game.

Was great to see Pistons on national TV broadcast with some "impartial" commentary. When Doris Burke didn't sound like she was eating, she was spending it salivating over Cousins.

Smith getting it done tonight was great to watch (21 points, 8 boards, 7 assists, 5 steals and 4 blocks)
    Seeing Dre gather himself after some bad plays and finish with 15 and 18 was great to watch
    Jennings being a leader (like when he went to Dre) and not jacking as many shots was great to watch
    Pope starting, Bynum sitting mostly - great to watch.

Agree with both of these wholeheartedly.
    Dre is getting his as he does and will be huge if that low post game comes along.
    Jennings is already averaging 6.2 assists to 2.5 turns, and I reckon that assist number will increase as the team familiarity does. He's also adding nearly as many steals as turns too at 2.3.
    KCP shooting 30% from 3, which should increase, and has shown he belongs on the floor with that lineup. Please Mo, IT FITS. Do not go back to Billups starting after the injury.
    Lee356 likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons did well passing the ball upcourt instead of dribbling. Jennings to Smith to whomever.

They ran some really nice breaks.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

What I love about this box score is that the rebounding column is populated on the defensive side for once. All of Smith and Monroe's boards were defensive. Smith in particular was working on that end.

I noticed too in the first half that Drummond and Monroe used the old Sheed/Dyess tactic of whoever is the first back on D was picking up Cousins.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yo!
    We beat the Shaqramento Kings on ESPN!
    ...Some observations:
    • Chanucey's arthitis led to Coach Maurice finally running out of ideas and starting Kent Pope. This infusion of youth and energy actually led to a fast (finally!) start with the Pistons D generating turnovers and fast break opportunities. It's amazing what happens when you have an additional set of active hands and a guy who actually fills running lanes on the fast break.
    • Pope played some solid D and from what I saw, only lost his man once when Salmons hit a corner-3 in the 1st Q. Pope fights through screens well and has a very 'mature' defensive game for a rookie. He might be the best perimetor Piston defender since Walter Herrmann (Mav's games only).
    • Forget Jennings, ...forget Monroe, ...forget Teen Wolf; - Josh Smith is the best passer on this team. That 3/4 length chest pass that he snapped to Singler for an easy layup was a thing of beauty. He also threaded several interior bounce passes that hit guys in stride for easy buckets. Josh Smith throws some very effective scoring passes.
    • Speaking of J-Smoove's passing, he kinda went into "triple-dub" mode late in the 3rd Q. Dude was totally trying to get himself 3 more assists. In the immortal words of former ABC/ESPN announcer Mark Jackson, "C'mon Josh! You're betta than that!"
    • I like Doris Burke. She's not afraid to be critical of players or coaches and point out buffonery when she sees it. A lot of the "former coach" types that you hear doing color commentary seem to tread lightly so they don't burn any bridges that might lead to their next coaching job. Doris' NFG approach is refreshing.
    • Stuckey didn't hurt us in this one. He played well! He scored enough to cover for his "always late to the party" defense and shot a decent percentage. He also made some nice passes. He's a much more effective passer when he's standing still and not dribbling. ...I think he may have even snagged a couple rebounds which was weird. Once again, it seemed like he played at least 44 minutes.
    • Aside from Greg Monroe, there isn't any current rostered Piston player who is good enough to warrant running a clear-out for. Coach Mo seems to think that he has a team full of gifted Bernard King clones that can get a bucket at any time. Nothing good ever comes out of seeing 4 Pistons standing around spreading the floor while the 5th Piston tries to take his man one-on-one. ...Stop it Mo!
    • Jennings played a little better. He was still jacking some STUPID shots but it's amazing that we now have a Piston PG that can execute a fast break. Years of watching Chauncey pull-up, Stuckey bulldoze and Will go into "gonnagetmine" mode on fast breaks have been tough. Jennings makes this group look like the Showtime Lakers in comparisson.
    • The AOTG that Jennings through to Drummond was AWESOME! ...I lol'd!
    • IMO, this was a milestone game for Andre Drummond. He was having a tough time in the 3rd Q and he sucked it up and overcame that (expletive)! Our young future All-Star did some growing up last night! At 19, he's already TWICE as mature as Boogie Cousins.
    coynejeremy, jzchen, Susie914 and 6 others like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sac is a long way off, the losing is going to get to Boogie this year or next year, at that point trade Moose for him. Boogie AND Smoove upfront gives us the meanest front court in the league.
  12. BallDon'tLie

No.
    ...unless Boogie drop the attitude can magically transform himself into a 20 ppg Small Forward with good perimetor defense and decent range on his jumper.
    The Panda likes this.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

What was wrong with his attitude last night? He played hard and smart.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    linwood likes this.
  14. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I really liked their ball movement in this game. For once, everyone was moving with purpose and not just standing on the perimeter. Mo Cheeks made adjustments in the second half and it worked beautifully.

Ps

Andre Drummond's a beast! :gaah:
  15. BallDon'tLie

He was great last night.
    The announcers kept pointing out that he was keeping his cool with the refs and conducting himself well.
    Why do you suppose the announcers were making such an issue about this?

I like Boogie's game.
    I just don't think he's a reliable option for that contract that they're paying him.
    I'd rather have all three of our bigs.

We need a good small forward.
  16. roscoe36

[​IMG]
    BallDon'tLie, The Panda and kpaav like this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think it's telling that Andre Drummond left the game hanging his head in frustration with Jennings encouraging him, Sheed getting in his ear, etc... and he ended up the game with a career high in rebounds and over 50% shooting from the floor (one of only 2 players on the team, if you count JJ's 2-2 outing).

That's how physically dominating this guy is at the age of.... 20! He could be a freshman in college after redshirting a year. He doesn't have legal authority to drink yet. He lives with his Mommy. He thinks about penguins as much as basketball.

What an absolutely franchise changing draft pick he should turn out to be in the long run.

Smith was living at the FT line last night (not through being fouled, but just claiming the center of the court). He was the point forward and could pass 360 degrees. It appeared as though it was a conscious strategy by the coaching staff. Hopefully he continues to establish this role and it minimizes our reliance on our guards.

Jennings was also consciously facilitating and doing it quickly each possession. Not much Arroyo-ing. He's built to go mach 3 and we should do everything we can to speed up the game.

Pope just plays noticeably tight defense. I agree with the maturity comment as he's thinking out there and making the right choices. We know he was a good college shooter, but his arc looks a little high to me for the increased distance of the NBA 3-point line. He might have to flatten it out a bit. Doesn't look like he's going to snap into an automatic shooter any time soon to me, but I'm OK with that since he just locked down the perimeter for us. It should have a chain reaction where our bigs get less fouls and there is less penetration and easy buckets overall. We will see. Thanks for taking a little time off Chaunce.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Anybody else on tapatalk having trouble accessing game threads? Is this a bug?
  19. roscoe36

Keep me apprised of this.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes, you can't view them on Tapatalk (best I can tell) unless someone likes or quotes on of your posts in there. The entire forum of game threads doesn't show up.