Home Sacramento Kings Friday Feb 17 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2012.
  1. Detroit

84.6%
  2. Sacramento

15.4%
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For me it's win now to get in a habbit of doing it and then if you see or feel the need to tank in April do it then. Getting Davis could set you up for the next 7 years, but even if you finish with the worst record there is no guarantee you get him. A 2 to 4 pick should help this team next season, but some positive wins now teaches the team how to play to win next season.

This was an exciting game tonight except for the lack of defense on both sides. Every time you thought the Kings were ready to run away with it, the Pistons would put together 8-0 run of sorts to get back in it, only to see the Kings pull away again.

Agree the fast pace really was the calling card here as they were able to get many FB points in the 4th down the stretch with the excellent guard play. Agree with Lee, that we don't need Wilkens in there at all when you are trying to win a game and Big Ben has n a tremendous help down the stretch showing some renewed youth on defense. Wish Daye could have been in there to contribute as you hate to see the kid who is suppose to be a key member of the future team still riding the pine in his third year...especially during wins.

On the Cousins vs Monroe match up....well Cousins won that battle, but his team lost the game. The kid can ball, and on the right team there could have been a different attitude on how plays the game. It probably would not been any better on a losing Kuester coached team, but he could have been all world in San Antonio.....

The team is playing well under Little Larry this month and missed opportunities vs the Wizards and Spurs earlier could have had them riding an eight game win streak without any built in Linsanity to give the credit to.

2. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I respectfully disagree Lee, if we are playing and coaching to win, Daye shouldn't play. If we're playing for the lottery, I'm up for giving him the starting spot.

3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Although we won the game with BK getting a double double, have anyone notice all his points came either from the outside the 3 pt line and in the paint (driving)? And most of his misses (12 misses altogether) are from between 15 footers and 18 footers. I noticed that this did not only happen in this game but almost all the games. Seems to me that our 'future guards' of BK & RS has problem shooting 15 - 18 footers. :doh:

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Who would have thunk it: My 2 favorite teams the Pistons have played this year have been the Wiz and these Kings. That was a good game.

Brandon Knight and to an extent Walker Russell have been the best thing to happen to Stuckey because it has stopped him from thinking (not exactly his forte) and both naturally get the Pistons into their offense faster. Collectively the Pistons guards are a better group that compliment one another better this year.

That being said I was half expecting Dumars to resign at halftime and take over the Kings with the way their 3 guard lineup was working.

For all the fretting the Moral Majority does here about Cousins, I did not see a head case out there. He is ferocious on the glass and is probably the toughest guy I have seen to try and box out. In the first quarter especially he helped the Kings garner offensive rebounds by drawing so much attention because he was going so hard for the ball. To say he is aggressive is an understatement. I absolutely love this guy!

I do not believe that Stuckey fouled Thompson when he blocked him (at least on the hand/arm). That was just weak.

You can point to a friendlier schedule etc, but the Pistons have definitely improved. I think Coach Frank has done a great job of both extracting the most out of the mess Dumars gave him and playing for the future.

Don't the Kings seem sort of loaded? They got size, speed and athleticism.

Did anyone see the widely smiling bear hug that Stuckey laid on Zeke 2 prior to the game that lifted him off the ground?

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

That is an excellent point about Knight. Hopefully he can add that to his game this offseason. It is sort of a pro-specific shot that you don't take in college.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Cousins is coasting on his considerable natural ability and its still damn impressive. Cousins presence makes the other forward's job easier. Monroe needs another guy to help him out. I'd rather have Monroe (cuz I'm a homer!) but Cousins > Monroe.

7. Slippy

Recap: Jeremy Lin is so awesome, he helped the Pistons win despite playing in a different city for a different team and losing in his own game. That's linsanity. How much more asia-awesome can he get?

You have to love the Pistons dedication to defense. I switched from Detroit signalling how they would play the pick and roll and basically nullify it to New York switching up every time and getting roasted.

Watching JJ run the floor, we don't really need Daye. Especially if we can't unload BG. I really believe Daye is key to a quick return to resurgence but it looks like we'll have to do it the hard way.

Monroe needs help down low and Wallace, Maxiell or JJ can't cut it.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

LOL, one game doesn't make Cousins better. The guy is still a big man shooting 45%. Monroe's body of work is a lot better, even if he was absolutely awful last night. Let's have some perspective here.

9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

as far as BK and his mid range? that is a lost art, youngsters just dont practice it and it doesnt get on the espn highlight reel. he has a very nice touch and he seems to have that inner drive and fire so I am not worried, I think he will work on it and get better. I really like what I am seeing from him on both ends. He isnt perfect at any 1 part of the game, but he is solid at most and he defenitely has shown that drive to be the best. And when he gets his mind made up? he is one of the quickest kids Ive ever seen at attacking the rim. What a friggin blur he was last night.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Knight with 10 assists and 0 turnovers.
    Stuckey with 36 points.

That's a good recipe there. I like it.

Judging by the previous 10 games, it seems like the following positions are filled in the rebuilding effort:

PG: Knight
    SG: Stuckey
    SF: ---/Jerebko
    PF: ---
    C: Monroe

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Going back to the Celtics game when Tom Heinsohn pointed out that Monroe seemed heavy to him, it did seem like Cousins was leaner than him. I do not believe that was the case last year.

I also do not think the reactions to Cousins is based on 1 game.

Slippy likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is this what Stuckey at shooting guard looks like? If so, it's not too shabby.

Remember how scary Byron Scott's Nets used to be when they played great defense AND ran the break? Maybe we can become that team over the next 2 years.

In 2003, the Nets had the #1 defense and they had the 11th fastest pace. I'd settle for the 11th best defense and the 20th fastest pace.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They did give up 108 points.

14. Slippy

We're also 10-22 but they're playing hard and buying into Franks concepts

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt Frank is doing a great job. I can't wait to see what he will do with a competitive roster.

16. Slippy

Lol. You may have to wait 2 years. This draft will be especially interesting.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the first year in a long time where there don't seem to be any players on the roster who hate the coach.

Even Carlisle and LB has some disgruntled players.

Which players have a problem with Frank? Maybe Charlie V, but if so, it's not noticeable. If you can flat out mothball a recent FA signing and not have any distractions, then you have some sort of respect.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First of all, I tried to respond to someone else's post, but I am not sure I managed to do it. Anyway, I see a couple of people thinking coach has done well. Not in my opinion. For one, I'd never start JJ at power forward. Bad enough he is coming off the bench at that position when he should be getting major minutes for us at small forward instead. 2nd - the starting Ben Wallace at 40? These kinds of decisions are just bad coaching, pure and simple. Other things bother me less, like letting Wilkins play. Oh, and there was his horrible habit of overplaying the combo of JMAX and Big Ben earlier in the season. None of this stuff is called for, no way. Sure, he seems to have settled down a bit now, but this stuff should not have taken him even one game to figure out. Game film of previous seasons is quite available and should have been used to rule out the non-sense day zero.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A couple of misc. comments. JMAX seems to be getting his act together at least somewhat on defensive rebounding. He has always boxed out, but now he is also getting the bound. Still, we would be better served starting JJ at small forward to give us a really solid rebounding unit to start games. This would also go a long way in stopping the other team from fast breaking, as our offensive rebounding would improve, forcing the other team to stay put to gather their defensive rebound instead of shooting off in mass on the fast break.

And the 2nd thing, a rotation, going bigger, using both Daye and Tay at shooting guard on occasion. (dropping Gordon out of the rotation who has some days where he can't shoot nor pass the ball that drive us all nuts.) (and PS, if you don't like Macklin, hey, we just need someone like him who can give us some minutes who has some size. I say play the guy, and see what he can do. Using this too small setup ain't cutting it too well - even if we can get some wins, I doubt these guys will last too far into the season playing against bigger opposites too much.)

Monroe 36 minutes, all at c. Macklin 16 minutes, 12 of them at c.
    JMAX 24 minutes, all at pf. Big Ben, 20 minutes all at pf. Macklin 16 minutes, 4 of them at pf
    JJ 30 minutes, all at sf. Tay 24 minutes, 18 of them at small forward.
    Stuckey 32 minutes, 16 minutes at sg. Tay 24 minutes, 6 of them at sg. Daye 26 minutes, all at sg
    Knight, 32 minutes, all at p. Stuckey, 32 minutes, 16 of them at point.

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

How do you feel about JJ as a PF? Wouldn't it be great if he was the starting 4 instead of coming of the bench?