Home Sacramento Kings Friday Feb 17 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2012.
  1. Detroit

84.6%
  2. Sacramento

15.4%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...Monroe vs Cousins
    ..."Pisstons" vs "Excremento"
    The Panda likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons will totally dominate the (soon-to-become-Seattle-Sonics) Kings. I wanna see Monroe dunk on Cousins.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Tommy Gores vs. the Maloof boys
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the game where Monroe shows Cuz a thing or two.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

This one game should settle the Cousins v. Monroe debate for all time!
  7. Walter

Rising stars preview.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I see GM really playin with fire to prove something.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Zeke 2 in the house 2nite
  10. Walter

Rough start, down 7 after the 1st. Stuck is on fire with 16 points. Cousins won the 1st quarter matchup against Monroe with 8pts and 5rebs.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It is no Cousins vs Monroe, its Stuckey vs his contact ! And stuckey won! :biggrin:
    linwood likes this.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

If he plays like that every other game, Joe is a genius! I'm cautiously optimistic, since it's no secret the Kings are terrible.
  13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Fun game. The Kings hit first, and the Pistons found themselves down by double digits numerous times and came back every single time, finally getting over the hump in the fourth quarter. This was exactly the type of game our guards and JJ thrive in, fast paced, high scoring, up and down basketball.

Rodney with a great scoring night, scoring 36, just 4 shy of his career high. Three straight games of over 20 now for him. The best thing about his game was not only was he scoring a lot, as a SG should, he played some solid defense, getting a block on a big man (close, could've gone either way) and he drew a charge on Tyreke as well. And he got to the line a LOT, throwing in a three point play for good measure. Hit a big 3 in the fourth as well. This is why the Pistons should run more; all of the guards are better with a faster paced offense.

Brandon bounced back very nicely, getting his second career double double with 23/10 and 6 boards. He was cold early, and his shooting percentage isn't great as he perhaps took a bit too many shots, but he hit the first of 2 straight 3s by the Pistons (second was Stuck's) to put the Kings back on their heels with just over 2 minutes left and get the team its 10th win of the season. He got a bunch of transition buckets as well, once freezing Fredette by the hoop for a layup, and one. He had a hell of a game, going without the mask all the way this time.

BG had a so so game, starting out well enough but he was forcing it a bit too much in the fourth, prompting Lawrence Frank to give him the hook. His handles looked Daye-like at some points too.

Greg struggled in this game, on both ends. He shot 1 for 7 and gave up a bunch of dunks and layups to the more athletic Cousins. DMC had 26 and 15 shooting a very high percentage, Greg had 3 and 8. These two were battling all night. Greg will want to bounce back against Boston who got KG back.

JJ played well, the team's best running forward, playing with a lot of energy and being the beneficiary of a bunch of transition scoring opportunities, as evidenced by his shooting 80% for 11 points. Also made a nice pass to Big Ben for a dunk that would've brought the house down if it'd gone down (Cousins ruined it).

Big Ben was great, picking up DeMarcus and making him settle for jumpers a little bit more (unfortunately he made them too) but he slowed the Kings' inside offense a little bit. He also drew a charge against Thompson (I think) just as the ball was put in play on the Kings' side of the floor. The Pistons are going to miss him big time when he retires.

Max played okay, hitting a jumper and missing a dunk. Had 7 boards as well.

Tay played very well, shooting much better than he did at Boston for 22 points. He also had 10 boards, the first time this season he's out rebounded Greg iirc. He ran in transition more than usual, also the beneficiary of some nice transition opportunities.

The team certainly is looking much better, they're playing together, and they obviously all listen to Lawrence Frank. A well coached team. Yeah the Kings' defense sucks, but they showed a lot of resolve after getting down by double digits numerous times and fighting back to get the win at the end, they did a good job regardless of the competition.
    basketbills, brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Maxiell didn't disappoint... exactly 6 points in five straight games now.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with you there. Not only does it increase the pace, but it rewards defensive effort and it leads to higher percentage shots. When guys put the ball in the basket, it gets the going.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hi Alexa. I will read your report, but first, here are my comments. I believe, if I heard correctly, JJ is suffering from a bad back at the moment. In tonight's game, you can get a hint of why maybe he has a bad back. When in, he was positively dwarfed by the opposing bigs. This is not a sustainable thing. Now, because of this bad back, Big Ben Wallace has seen a ton of minutes these past two games, and us fans have gotten the treat of seeing most of the games with an actual power forward in at least most of the time. And we get two straight strong 4th quarter finishes. Another thing the coach did right - he kept Wilkins out of the 2nd half, and Russel out of the whole game. We don't need guys out there who can't score the ball. In the 2nd half, Stuckey played some small forward to spell Tay. Not a bad setup. Stuckey certainly has the size to play some small forward - and the other team was playing 3 guards also. (still not a proponent of us using a 3-guard set - but it is way better than putting Wilkins in the game at any time.)

In these two games, it seems the coach is coaching to win. However, it remains to be seen if he really cares about winning. More likely, we will see JJ again soon getting totally outmatched instead of more wins. Meanwhile, Tay played too many minutes tonight. Sure, absolutely, I loved watching a win tonight. Thrilled no end. But we don't need to be losing Tay from playing too many minutes. And wow, all we got to do - play JJ as the backup (or starting) small forward when he returns totally healthy. I propose filling the void left by JJ moving to small forward by using Macklin. But if Ben can play 24 minutes a night, Monroe 36, that leaves just 36 minutes for JMAX to cover. Which is too much for him. But he can cover 24, leaving 12 minutes left. That would be just a 6 minute stretch for Macklin each half. Not much.

In this game we spent the first half waiving the Kings on to score on their fast breaks. So thats all they talked about at the half - and the Pistons ended up outfastbreaking them by games end. Darn good turnaround there. Points in the paint - we were down a couple of buckets, but that is not bad on a night when Monroe only gets 3 points. Stuckey and Knight got to the hoop a lot. Gordon helped some there too, and of course a lot of it was on our much improved fast breaks in the 2nd half.

OK - a couple of double doubles to talk about. Tay had one of them, with 10 bounds and over 20 points. And Knight had a really impressive one, ten assists with no turns to go with his over 20 points. Knight included 4 of 6 triples made. Knight seems to be a clutch player, with no shyness to take big shots late.

Ben Wallace did a fine job of turning their big into a jump shooter in the 4th quarter. Can't ask much more than that.

And Stuckey. No assists. But you got to be happy with 36 points, especially when so many were at the hoop or at the foul line from driving to the hoop.

Next game is Boston Sunday at 6. We need to win that one, as Boston is the team we have to catch now for a playoff spot what with NY all the sudden surging with Lsanity. Boston is just 4 games up on us in the win column. It can most certainly be done, getting us into the playoffs. We got the team. Now will the coach keep coaching like these past two nights?

One last note, Daye did not play these past two games. He should have - for any minutes that Russel or Wilkins got. And we would be even a better team.
    Slippy likes this.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Tough game for this Pistons fan. It was nice to see the Pistons run and gun, and Rodney and Brandon had fantastic games. I've taken tons of shots at Rodney over the past few years, but I can admit that he has been playing very well lately. The future of this team looks like GM, BK, RS, and some other guys.

I really think they are one athletic big away from being very competitive. I think that guy is Anthony Davis. So, as nice as it is to see the Pistons win this game, every win takes them farther from the possibility of a young, athletic, 6'11" defensive juggernaut... which is exactly what they need.

Cousins is legit. The Pistons didn't get a chance to grab him in the draft, but don't fool yourselves that he is going to flame out or be a bust.
    Davis is a much different player than Cousins... more like Ben Wallace than Shaq. Pistons management needs to keep their eyes on the prize, and Pistons players need to compete and get better.
  18. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe a trade before the Draft will get us Davis.

Our Pick (that it will be 6th to 10th ) + anything they ask except GM, BK and Stuckey.

(maybe our 2013 first pick)
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I would love for this to happen.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would take that deal in a hartbeat.