Sacramento January 20th, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Sacramento January 20th, 7:30PM
    TV - (Local) TV 20, NBALP

The dissapointing Sacramento Kings pay a visit to the Palace with our good friend Ron Artest, his first trip back here since "The Brawl". The Kings had lost 7 in a row at the time of this posting. The Pistons have problems of their own as they have been struggling of late. Something has to give in this one........
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Keep Ron-Ron under 20 points and we should be ok.
    95 - 89
    Pistons
  4. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Kings finally snapped the losing streak last night by beating a Celtics team playing with a bunch of kids.

Still, the Pistons should win this game pretty easily if they play well. CWebb should be able to stay with Brad Miller pretty easily (and hopefully keep him from hitting open jumpers), and Sheed should be able to abuse any post defender the Kings run at him.

Has there been any news of whether McDyess will be suspended for his actions from last night? I do not think they warranted a suspension, and didn't see any headlines on the national sports news websites. He should also be able to work pretty effectively against the Kings.

This should be another game where JMax gets minutes over DDavis, and may get extended minutes to play against Corliss and/or Artest if the Kings go with a small-ball lineup (which may also limit CWebb's minutes from a defensive perspective).
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Psycho.

[[​IMG]
  7. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

easy win.we have won 2 in a row now, but it will extend to 10 soon.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Finally an easy win where the Pistons got a big lead EARLY and never relinquished it. The Kings were ice cold from the beginning, and the Pistons hustled well to get out to as much as a 22 point lead in the first half. Kings came back and got to within 10 for a while in the 3rd, but a big run to end that quarter by the Pistons put them up 26, and it was garbage time the rest of the way through. Dice had a really big night, 6-6 from the floor and 8 rebounds. Rip was the only Piston to play more than 30 minutes in this game, and he only played 32.
  9. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

thats good because yesterday the starters played way too much. i wish billups did better though.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons win big...could have been bigger, but Flip sr finally pulls starters and let the scrubs run the show from the 6 min mark of the 4th qtr. Soon as Nazr and Flip jr come in the games goes immediately to garbage time. I think the Kings outscored us 18-11 after that.

That was the bad, the rest of it was good as we had a lead as large as 28 points at one time. lastmight it was the guards that came up big. Tonight it was Tay, Dice and Webber for 40 points and 22 boards. Dice was a perfect 6 for 6 frm the field and CWebb gets a double-double and seems to have fit in with the offense. His assists will go up as soon as the Pistons figure out how to field his low passes....

We also got the usual stellar perfomance from Rip and nice bench play from Hunter > 9 pts and Delfino. > 7 boards and 6 assists.

Not much else to say other than I wished we had held them to under 70, but our defense was there tonight, although the Kings helped us out with terrible shot selection in the first half. It is something to build upon as we stop the losing streak at home and finally beat a team we were supposed to beat!!!:)
  11. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons are just a different team with Chauncey in the lineup. They have confidence and after tonight I think the Pistons can hold their own against any team. Just think of how much better they'll be once Chris Webber learns the plays and gets in a little better shape. I know I'm prejudiced when it comes to Delfino but he just makes things happen even when he can't score much. Fino's steal on Artest was just worth the ticket price in my book, take that you Mohawked Punk! So Nazr sure looked like a whipped puppy tonight, time to find him a new time where he can at least play. Flip Murray reduced to garbage time that's about right but I would rather Will Blalock or Amir Johnson get the playing time.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A total slaughter. Our defense was excellent, keeping them to just 49 after 3 quarters. What happened? We have quit playing our two worst defenders. Both did get garbage time, but neither played while the game was still a game.

Some might have thought that since Webber was kind of slow with the bum knee and all, that he would be no better than Mohammed on D. Forget that. Mohammed was more than just slow. Mohammed continually got pushed out of positon. Webber ain't going anywhere. And on offense, there is no comparison at all. Webber truly is a post up center, and he gave us scoring off post up moves tonight. Scoring that, pretty soon, we will count as near automatic when Webber decides to shoot. His outside jumper though could use improvement-why he even shoots it though I don't see. Maybe he is rusty from a long layoff, but I don't care. Find a way to shoot in closer.

Dyess was 6-6, all outside shots. I wonder just how much the fact Jason Maxiell is playing again has spurred Dyess to get his act together. Maybe just a coincidence, but for sure, these two are in a competition for minutes at the moment. JMAX is playing some real solid D, and causing the other team fits down in the post. If JMAX could hit a higher percentage of free throws, I would want to see him start. Imagine the other team's front line continually being in foul trouble.

Hunter played well. Still he did not do much as a point guard, deferring to Delfino to do some of the ball handling. But he hit some shots. Forget the garbage time, as Hunter should no way have been out there all those extended minutes. He did well while the slaughter was going on.

Delfino had a fine game defensively, and made a lot of difference with his passing. His triple at the end of the 3rd made it a 26 point lead, putting this one to bed.

Rip Hamilton hit plenty of shots, Tay scored well, CB got to the line some. Sheed got some in the post early-and Webber did some damage inside in the second half. Combine that with the post up play by JMAX, and this team does seem to be heading the right direction, toward more post play and away from reliance on outside shooting. As I saw someone mention, Rip has got to learn to convert those simple layups that often occur with Webber helping run things.

Corliss Williamson scored a bunch in the first half so their bench outscored ours. Maybe we were ahead in the 2nd half though? Going to hard to tell a whole lot from the boxscore as this game was over so quick.

JMAX continues to draw those charges. After suffering a long stretch of Corliss killing us in that 2nd quarter, JMAX was brought in and that seemed to do the trick. I am sure a lot of people were hollering at the screen for Flip to adjust already. We had a 22 point lead early in the 2nd quarter and we were steadily letting them get back into it from Corliss.

No Dale Davis. Nope, Dale is not a garbage time player. Last we heard from Flip is that Dale Davis will still be playing, when the other team has more of an inside presence. Remember, he did just start a few games and we only need to just keep the rust off.

We outscored them in the paint in the first half, continuing a good trend there.

In the previous Sacramento game, a loss, Mohammed and Murray played a combined 37 minutes for us. Tonight, they played not a minute until the game was decided. Big difference. We now have a very good starting five, and a bench that is at least ok. One of the best features of this bench we used tonigh was the combination of Delfino and Hunter aggressively playing the perimeter. GO PISTONS!!!!!PS what a contrast between Webber's first couple of starts for us vs. Mohammed's. Chris got a doube double tonight after getting 16 points last game. Welcome aboard Chris.
  13. roscoe36

It was pretty impressive that all 9 guys in the rotation chipped in and had good games. I really can't single anyone out as having an off or particularly bad game.

Already quite impressed with C-Webb for a couple things...

1. He's a bonafide star, and these refs have been taking care of him for years. It's really cool to get calls we would never normally get, just because he is "Chris Webber".

2. His rebounding is excellent. Considering he's smaller, lighter (I believe) and has less hops than Nazr, he's got wicked rebounding instincts.

3. It's not just the passing, but being able to put the ball on the floor, palm and move it around, he's got the darn thing on a string. He might be the best pure ball handler on this team.

Nice to see Tay tough it up, but in an equal opportunity world, Delfino would really be eating into his minutes. Delf played maybe his best game yet as a Piston. Excellent defensive effort.

Very good home game. Hustle and effort. Real Detroit Basketball.

And it certainly helped that Sacramento didn't make shots until the third Q. ;)
  14. roscoe36

Interviews

Antonio McDyess
    Flip Saunders
    Eric Musselman

nJoy!

Attached Files:

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

ReCap: Sacramento January 20th, 7:30PM

Pistons 91 / Kings 74

Two lessons were clear to me coming out of tonight’s game. First, never trust the Comcast guide to determine when to record a basketball game (listed as an 8:00 start). Second, when a team has played eight games in eleven days, it’s good to be home for number eight, and it’s very good to be playing a West coast team at the end of a long road trip. By the time I got tuned in and watching, at around the two minute mark of the first quarter, the tone of the game had already been set. The Pistons finished the first quarter with a ten point lead, outscoring the Kings 22 to 12.

The Pistons outscore the Kings 7-2 during the first couple of minutes of the second, but Corliss Williamson enters the game for the Kings and proceeds to score eleven in the quarter. Still, the Pistons double their lead to 20 (39-19) by the five minute mark. However, Corliss and the Kings outscore the Pistons 15 to 9 the rest of the way. The margin at the half (48-34) relies heavily on a late three and subsequent layup by Prince. Without his late burst the Kings would have ended the half within ten.

The Kings are held to 31% shooting in the half versus 49% for the Pistons. The Pistons outrebound the Kings and had two more points in the paint (18 paint points for the Pistons, 38% of scoring). The bench scored eleven and the team had 18 assists on 20 made baskets.

Both teams start the third quarter cold, with all scoring coming from the line except for an Artest hoop before the Pistons call timeout to restore order at the 8:16 mark. The teams trade baskets to the four minute mark with the Pistons up one over the halftime score. From then on though the Pistons step up the defensive pressure and the Kings wilt. The Pistons end quarter with an 11-0 run for a final margin of 75-49.

When McDyess leaves the game early in the fourth, with twelve points on 6-6 shooting (all from the outside) and eight rebounds, garbage time officially begins. There is an interesting battle over the next couple of minutes between Delfino and Artest. Over three possessions Delfino frustrates Artest by denying him the ball twice through tight coverage and then stripping him when Artest finally does get a pass.

Overall, the Pistons outrebound the Kings by 12 and rack up 28 assists on 34 baskets. The Pistons bench scores 33 of their 91 points. The win puts the Pistons even with Cleveland for the best record in the East, pending the outcome of the Cavs / Golden State game still in progress. The team can look forward to a day off and then a couple of days of practice to integrate Webber before Wednesday’s game against at Charlotte.
  16. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I didn't get to see the game but it sounds like Chris is going to work out fine, thank you. I am excited about getting back to MI and see some of the games. I have to add some stations to my Dish, but I will do it so that I can see Piston games again.

Glad to have the boys back on track.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's hard to be too thrilled with beating the Kings.... they have no bigs worth mentioning... Miller has become nothing more than a sloth footed jump shooter.
    On the positive side Web has much better rebounding instincts than Nazr ... and way superior hands at grabbing boards.
    Carlos had a gr8 game and a terrible game rapped up in one... most of the bad stuff happened after a long shift... he still has nice BBall instincts and his rebounding in traffic is top shelf.
    This should be a don't hate on Lindsey game... he didn't have to handle the ball much... this worked for the good side of his game (pressure D and spot up shooting).
    I'm thinking Nazr & Murray are feeling like step children... the heads hanging low... if it was more fun and they were made to feel important this could be a different senario.
    I still really like Flips handles... best on the team... he can cross over anyone and get to the rack.... that part of his game makes it easier to see why Joe liked what he saw... he's even trying to involve his teamates... no doubt he sleeps on defense... kinda sad to see these two guys dusting off for scrub PT... Joe needs to just get it over with... I'm thinking maybe Monday something will go down.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, don't worry about Chris's jump shot. He has one of the best 15-18 foot shots in the business. Saw that shot over and over versus the Lakers. He hit it against the Pistons, too. I remember getting mad when we didn't go out and guard him. It will come, it will come. Is this guy really going to open up our offense or what?

Most encouraging is that he did challenge a driver--that is my main worry with Chris at center.

If we don't get someone with an offensive bent for the 2nd unit, we should pick up someone who can lock up Wade just a bit to help Webber and our bigs. I think it is going to be us against them in the end...
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE DIRTY LOW DOWN.....tonight, the 26 pt lead.
    If there's one thing watching 40 years of basketball will tell you, it's that "IF YOU BUILD IT< THEY WILL COME". What the team needs to understand after this win is that when we impose our will, the entire league takes notice. Ron Artest mentioned thru Yahoo sports that this doesnt seem like the old Pistons. Well, maybe we all need to take that to heart. iT took me a long time to accept the death of the Bad Boys and it'll still be awhile before I get over theBEN BOYS but I AM starting to get it.
    This is a team that still may field the best starting five in the game OFFENSIVELY and DEFENSIVELY.We are still at our best when we keep a team in the low 80's. Only the Spurs can play this way. Three things I took out of this game(that unusually enough, my fiance agreed on):

1. Flip coached his best game of the year last night. Used matchups well and didnt get flustered when Kings kept cutting into large leads. What I noticed about Flip is that something still aint right with this man. His nervous twitches and insecure mannerisms tend me to believe something just aint right. He doesnt play Max for 2 games and then plops in the rotation like its evry game. What I mean is, no matter how good the rotation was this game, he'll seem to totally forget and try something totally different wed night(like playing Flip Murray 25 minutes or Nazr instead of Max, benching Delfino, zoning, etc)

2. The one I hate must go. He came in the game late and threw one ball behind his head out of bounds. Also, Nazr looks very disappointed. Hey, its your fault taht you make three pump fakes even when you shoot a free throw. He has the hands of a 4 year old. BUT, in his defense, he was the same in SA. So Blame Joe for these two losers. I trade them both for Big Nasty and that Price kid in a country minute .

3. Just about everytime we made three or 4 passes, something good happened. Chris will return that style of play to us. He did the same in Sacro as he learned from Vlade. We may not be as potent offensively as they were, but if u remember their starters(Peja, Webber, Divac, Bibby and Christie) arent our starters better? Their bench (Jackson, Barry.???) better than ours? No way. Like i said last week, IF Chris dont mind being a 14/8 and 5 guy , we WILL go back to NBA Finals.

..thats what a 26 pt lead will do to a team's bravado..and thats the DIRTY LOW DOWN:stirthepot: ...stir it up, my bruddahs, stir it up!
  20. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

See, I think you were one who crucified Donnie Walsh when he wouldn't give the big money to Miller way back when and it was simply a business decision not unlike Big Ben Wallace's over the top deal. The cash Sactown offered Miller way back then was banking on the early returns and forgetting about the future, IMHO. I'm fairly certain they never got their money's worth considering they couldn't make it to the promised land.