1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Round 3 Game 1... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by mercury, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

How can someone blame Ben on offense when he's been doing this throughout his entire NBA career. You expect him to score 20+ pts every game now? If I remember well, Dennis Rodman was never an offensive threat but he picks up 5 NBA rings along the way as a starter.

Remember, every points Ben or the Worm gets, it's a bonus. Deal with it.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree, you don't go out and sign a guy for Shaq insurance and not play him against Shaq... not that D.D. would do much other than rest Ben but he came in after Shaq was on the bench... I guess they must view Cato as a total scrub that will not help any team (we'll see next year).

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Just got back from the game. The crowd was pathetic but the Pistons' lack of effort in the 1st Quarter took out any energy in the building. We got so many favorable calls in the 1st half too that kept us in the game (and hey at least our free-throw shooting was back).

I actually would prefer either Shaq or Wade in the game at all times because the Heat are forced to concentrate on them for offense, and neither of them plays defense. It's like we were lost and/or let up when we should have went for the kill. Btw, Shaq only had 14 points!!

Basically it was too little, too late, and an almost predictable letdown after the high of the Game 7 win. We better win Game 2.

On paper we should have dominated this game. Very few turnovers, forced a lot of turnovers, took a lot more shots, went to the line a lot more times, actually made our free throws, and had more steals. The only stat category we didn't win was rebounds. We just couldn't hit shots.

This loss goes on Chauncey, Rip, and Sheed. Sheed was nonexistent, and Chauncey/Rip couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The turning point for Chauncey was he started off okay, but then passed up a WIDE OPEN 3, when it was one of the few times he should've actually taken the shot. Flip should have went to the bench for energy tonight, especially when Shaq/Wade were out of the game, and especially when our shooting was so atrocious.

Basically Mo and Delk should have logged a lot more minutes tonight. I did like Flip's 'offense' lineup in the 3rd when he had Sheed/Dice/Delk/Rip/Tay.

And bballjay are you even WATCHING these games? While yes, we gave up some very easy baskets during lapses at the start of the game and for a minute in the 2nd half, Ben did so much for us tonight limiting Shaq to 14 points and drawing charges. And you can't say he disrupts the offense when Chauncey and Rip can't hit their shots, especially because THEY WERE WIDE OPEN SHOTS. miami didn't do much to contest them, we just plain missed. and tay was active, but he missed 3 easy layups in the post.

4. max

max All-Star

War - I agree that Flip should have went to the bench more for the simple fact that we needed a somekind of spark offensivly. Hunter tried his best to fill that role but he tried plays that he simply could not pull off.

Whatever happened to Delk giving us 10-15 off the bench? Evans was shooting over 70% in the Milw series. Hate to bring this guy up but would it kill us to see what Delfino has? I bring this up because Flip said he would play him.

I do not buy the fatigue angle. Pistons forced 15 TO's and only caughed up 6. Crashed the glass for 9 offensive boards to Miami's 5. Pistons got themselves 18 more shot attemepts off hustle plays and defense.

Like it or not this team is in a serious collective offensive slump right now. Started in game 3 of the Clev series and still continues. Is it defensive adjustments? Tired legs? Are our guys a bunch of out of shape vets that cannot log in more than 36 MPG like all other quality starters in this league? I doubt it. They are getting the looks. Clear shots, just not making them.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I missed the game as I was on the road travelling between Seattle & Portland,,,WTF happen?? We give up 33 pts in the first qtr after holding the Cavs to 17 pt average. :doh:

I guess I will watch the midnight replay to get an actual perspective, but this is not what we Piston faithful expected. I am on the "hope they win" bandwagon after the last series "escape", Now I am in shock as my beloved's have for the second time in a week, lost the HCA, and for the next six days, will have to play tentative in hopes of assuring that they win Thursday and then trying to get back the HC with a win in Miami on Saturday or next Monday. We are not in trouble yet, but everyone knows that a loss on Thursday is almost certain death of the Pistons & fans dream of a championship season.:ohwell:

6. max

max All-Star

LA- If you want to win championships you have to win games. Starting the series with 2 straight losses at home is not the road to glory.

I am not worried. Play the next game the same way and the shots will start falling, at least more than did tonight. I will take my chances with 18 more shot attempts any game.

7. Jman

Jman Second Round Draft Pick

Sorry to say, but I must agree with Jammertime. I (and others outside the Americas) have been losing major sleep to get up in the middle of the night and watch these recent games (thank you, NBA TV and Orbit satellite!), but have been utterly disappointed by the lack of energy our Pistons have displayed the past several games. Dang, watching the Spurs-Mavs was fantastic, loads of energy and excitement even though I wasn't rooting for either team. No one complained about being tired in that series.

As for the Palace fans being quiet, maybe they'll cheer hard when their team plays hard.

Charley Rosen over at Fox Sports agrees:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5633824

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok, from now on it's time to be REALLY concerned... it really seems that this team is not able to switch on one more gear from regular season to the playoffs and Wade is destroying us as usual...

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We ouplayed them in everything accept fg%. Flip needs to make some non jumpshot plays and get our guys to the rim and get Shaq in bigtime foultrouble. If we only lose by 5 when we shoot 38% and let them shoot above 50% then we're not in too bad of shape. With Flip's playcalling though and Chauncey still playing horrible can we do that? The Pistons can't have another sluggish start. This team needs to play and now we find ourselves in a must win situation again.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Postgame Audio

Flip
    Pat Riley
    Chauncey
    Gary Payton
    Dwyane Wade

MP3 file format

Attached Files:

11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

and rebounding (Miami: 43/5 off.; Detroit: 33/9 off.)

I'd almost bet that we will have another sluggish start -- maybe not in Game 2, but somewhere else down the line.

I didn't figure it before the playoffs started, but since they have, I expected the PIstons, somewhere during this series, to give away a game at the Palace. I also expected them to take (at least) that game back from Miami in Miami. Home court advantage matters a lot -- but it's in Game 7 that it matters.

You spot them 11 or whatever in the first 3:14 of the game, and then win by 6 for the remaining 44:46 -- and all while shooting almost 20 % less from the floor than the heat (not to mention allowing Payton, Walker, and Williams too many open shots and, in general, relaxing on defense when Wade and Shaq went to the pine).

To me, that's encouraging. There were a few poorly executed plays and a few poor shot choices, but for the most part the players were moving and paassing the ball and getting open looks (unlike in the Cleveland series) -- the shots just didn't fall. Agreed, they didn't go into Tay or Sheed (or Dyess) on the block enough once the mid-range j's weren't falling. But in my opinion, if our winnning this series depends on the post play of these fellows, then we're a longer shot. I'll still put my money on Detroit, playing just the way they did over the last 45 minutes. And I'll say that they could win easily if they play just the way they did: make 5 % more of their mid-range jumpers and cut down the points of the Heat supporting cast by about 10 %.

Consider: over the last 45 minutes we outscored Miami 86-80. In that stretch, we shot 31-76 (40.7 %), Wade and Shaq combined for 28 points, Williams, Walker, and Payton combined for 41 points on 17 of 27 shooting (and it was Williams, Walker and Posey who keyed the 11-1 Miami run during the last 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter).

So now increase Detroit's fga to 45.7: that's 34.7 makes. Let's call it 34. Six more points. Now we've outscored them 92-80. Now take away just 10% of the supporting trio's 41 points and we've outscored them 92-76 over the remaining 45 minutes. Even while still spotting them an 11 point lead, we win by 5.

I know these are all hypothetical scenarios: but I saw nothing last night (or in the past of these pistons) to make me think that we won't improve both our mid-range fg % and our defense on the supporting cast. We played far better for far more of the game last night than during the debacles in the Cleveland series, and against a better opponent.

Of course, the game was super frustrating to lose, but for me at least it was frustrating because we could so easily have won -- and therefore, for me, it wasn't discouraging in the slightest.

12. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Game Analysis: No Emotional Energy. We were flat from the beginning, lacking quickness, lift and passion. We have seen the same thing in other teams throughout the playoffs. IMO the NBA does itself a disservice, reducing the quality of play, by scheduling short turn-arounds after series having run 7 games. Maybe we didn’t want to believe ourselves susceptible to such a letdown but in retrospect it is understandable.

Flip on the other hand failed to perform exploratory surgery. It didn’t take long to realize our starters needed scoring help from the bench. Putting a sub out there is one thing, calling a play for them is something else entirely. Delk in, no play run for him. Mo in, no play run for him. I credit Lindsey for trying to generate scoring himself, ugly as was, but he needs to do a better job of getting Dice started. Forget the Heats post game bravado, all we needed was one guy to get hot and Miami was toast.

Note to the fans, er pretty people: Sit the !@#$ down. What is with all of the strolling back and forth from endline to endline. Freakin peacocks. The claim that many playoff fans don’t know diddly about the game ain’t too far from the truth.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Don't you guys understand the strategy here?

If the starters play hard in the playoffs, they won't be rested for the regular season next year. We need home court advantage throughout the playoffs so we can...uhmmm...I'll get back to you later.:confused:

14. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Pistons worked themselves into a corner for Game 2. :frusty: Lose that and the series is pretty much over.

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

to all posters about ben

you guys are right we don't need offense from ben. we do need it from somewhere though. it's not that i don't like ben's defense it's that i like mcdyess offense way way better. yeah ben draws some charges but he gives us nothing on offense. shaq is helping out and clogging the paint. if anybody saw what happened when shaq checked mcdyess we ran a pick and pop and mcdyess was wide open he missed one badly but the shot was there and shaq had a very hard time trying to defend it. so basically i'm not saying that ben needs to get into the offense i'm saying we need a center in there that shaq can't rest on defense with.

i do watch the games and i watch ben on offense and shaq just rests and lays back and clogs the paint. if your jumpshots aren't falling you have to go to the hole. the problem is when you go to the hole ben's man is right there with either help d or the block. ben makes noone pay for not defending him. the key isn't to get him the ball more the key is to get someone in the game that will do something with the ball when they get it.

yes. if we had hit our jumpshots it would have covered up for ben's lack of offensive talent.

16. anakin

The way this team is built there is no go to guy pick up the offensive slack. Right now 4 other starters can't hit the broad side of a barn. Ben's lack of offensive game becomes a problem which gets hugely magnified. It is hard seeing him clank FT 's. Every point in the playoffs is invaluable and may be the difference maker.

Sheed for all his talent disappears completely from game to game.

Joe will need to address this and other issues in the off-season. I hesitate to sign CB and Ben to max/close to max deals as they are not max players IMO. A max player has to be a consistent difference maker on mutiple levels i.e. defense, offense, assists etc. Unpopular decisions may need to be made.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

A closer look at the statistics shows that the Heat's 56.2 percent field-goal percentage was probably even better than it appeared. Haslem dragged it down with his 0-7 performance. Everyone else on the Heat shot really great, including all the offseason acquisitions. Also, Wade was 9 of 11. Didn't matter if he was in foul trouble, he lit it up when he was in there.

18. anakin

The scarier part was that Shaq and Wade played limited minutes due to foul trouble. Otherwise Wade would have lit them up for 40 pts.

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I couldn`t join chat during the game because I am switching my ISP and I will be without for a few days.

I agree with most comments I have read this morning. There is no excuse for this loss or at least not being a bit more competitive. With Wade and Shaq not having their typical dominating games we let the unimaginable happen - allowing Miami`s bench to get off!

CB is playing like Sh.. I don`t know what`s up with him, but this so called freedom he has is now becoming a crime. The ill-advised 3`s are starting to really bother me. They are not in the rythym of the offense and you can tell, they clank off the rim or glass like a concrete slab!

I still think we can get by Miaimi, however a loss on Thursday would dash my confidence. Even if we do get by the Heat, I am starting to believe Dallas will embarrass us in the Finals.

The body language, sense of urgency, and bench contribution is troubling. Something is not right and if it`s not corrected in the next couple games that "What happens if the Pistons don`t win the Title" thread will be jumping.

20. anakin

Interesting stat:

"The Pistons backcourt had a poor shooting night in Tuesday's 91-86 loss to the Heat. Richard Hamilton shot 9-for-22 from the floor, and Chauncey Billups shot 6-for-19. It was the first time in 27 years that both starting guards on one team missed at least 13 field-goal attempts in a conference final or NBA final game. The last time was in 1979, when the Sonics lost to the Suns, 103-97, with Gus Williams shooting 4-for-22 and Dennis Johnson shooting 3-for-17."

When it rains, it pours. Looks like there is more than Flip to blame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.