1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Round 3 Game 1... Heat @ Pistons

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by mercury, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Ben did NOTHING wrong this game. He 14 rebounded and stayed in there with Diesel. The thing is if we gonna play this poorly , u might as well use the bench. When Shaq went out with 3, Ben stayed in the rest of the half! What did Flip do to help a tired team in the 3rd? Nothing ....But here are my Leecraps to this game:

1. Hunter needs to stop playing on speed or meth. As much as he won the game in the 1st half, he lost it in the 2nd.
    2, Sheed was lifeless. Totally lifeless. All i can say to him is "SHHH!"
    3. CB and Rip were high. Did anyone even guard them tonight? Our guards were 16-48. Their guards ? 20-26!!!!!! FREEK!

we HAVE 2 take Games 2 and 3...The players have saved Flip's azs up to now. He owes his team two.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

bash away. he had a really bad game today. i do like that he was much more aggressive though. his shot will come around. flip needs to use the bench we were obviously tired tonight.
    ben wasn't our biggest problem but he was a problem. we couldn't hit outside shots. so with ben in the game we can't drive to the hole or post up either. i just don't understand how we were one shot and out the whole game with shaq playing so much help defense. ben should have been diving to the front of the rim everytime shaq left him.

flip's hands are tied he just simply can't take ben wallace out the game or we will lose him to free agency. even riley was smart enough to take shaq out when we started fouling him. to say flip isn't that smart isn't right. i think flip just knew that it would hurt ben's ego and maybe ben wouldn't resign next year.

dmc wouldn't have helped because he wouldn't get in the floor. but that's like saying tony delk, lindsey hunter, dale davis, cato. mo evans or carlos delfino can't help us. the problem isn't our bench it's flip being unwilling to use them.

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Two words...GRANT HILL

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is what happens. It's what we've become used to.

Sloppy, lethargic and lazy play. Actually running hard and challenging when the game is out of reach.

The Heat smelled blood in the second half and stole homecourt advantage in the series.

Was anyone good for the Pistons? Dale Davis was sharp for 4 seconds, and Hunter brought energy. Mo Evans also managed to score without screwing anything up.

This team needs a heart. And a pulse. And some competitive drive. Can someone text message the Wizard of Oz?

It's the big round. One step away from the title match. Not the time to let games slip away. Lousy job by the coaches (again) utilizing timeouts and the bench. Terrible job by the starters (excepting Ben) bringing any energy, shooting or defense.

Everyone keeps saying the Pistons are tired. Bullcrap. There is no time for tired. No room for excuses. They wasted friendly whistles and home court advantage. They had the big 2 for Miami buried with fouls and couldn't close the deal. Because NO ONE stepped up on offense and played with courage. Drives to the hoop looking for fouls instead of finishing with aggression.

Can we win Game 2? Maybe. But with this team, you never know. Maybe they need to be down 3-0 before they get serious about winning.

5. bball jay

ben is no threat on offense so miami sags and clogs up the paint. with us not hitting outside shots that is a real big problem. that means no driving and no posting up cause ben's man will double or play zone and give weak side help. ben may have rebounded but he was giving no weaks side help. i saw miami drive to the hoop plenty of times with no ben wallace to help at all. if ben isn't blocking shots and rebounding he has no business on the floor. against shaq and miami shaq is unstoppable so it makes no sense playing ben major minutes cause shaq will score on him just as easily as mcdyess or maxiell.

when shaq went out flip should have went to the mcdyess and sheed combo. miami was having loads of trouble with mcdyess down in the post.

6. bball jay

flip would say he's going to play him then he wouldn't hit the court.

7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Flip is too much of a players coach. If us arm chair QB's can see the defensive and offensive problems I am sure he does too. Why doesn't he get in their faces? Bench some of the starters and play the bench. Better to lose with energy than give games away.

Let's hire Leyland.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

You're drunk!!!LOL

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sheed did squat besides hit a 3 in this game. He just wasted space.

10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Right on Micro. I don't buy the tired excuse. In the playoffs every game should be played with intensity and heart. I never thought a blue collar team like the Pistons could ever get out worked. Where is the goin to work mentality?

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The only silver lining I see is that even with the Heat shooting 56% from the floor and their role players stepping up big--their leads kept going UP whenever Shaq and Wade went out--the Pistons STILL would have won if their shooting percentage had even gotten into the low 40s. If the series more or less follows the pattern established tonight, then the winner will simply be decided by how well the Pistons shoot. If they can score some points, they'll win. If not, they won't. Simple as that.

12. GIE

GIE Second Round Draft Pick

I have to say this loss was totaly on Flip. If your starters can't make a shot you have to play the bench, but of course he hasn't played them enough this season to have any faith in their ability or to let them get any rhythm. As for Ben, the guy should't be playing in the 4th until he can make at least some of his free throws. If he is going to whine about it tell him he has to earn the time by making some free throws.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The pattern with Miami continues... Shaq goes nuts in the first quarter and then tires out and doesn't do anything the rest of the game.

So, we should start Davis and hack the crap out of him in the first quarter. By the time Shaq starts to slow down, then you can insert Ben and he can play full bore. Isn't that why DD is on the team? Why did we keep Cato on the roster instead of Amir Johnson?

14. max

max All-Star

I do not feel bad about this loss. Pistons took 18 more shots, had 9 offensive boards and only missed 4 FT's. Forced a lot of tunovers. Tired teams caugh up a lot of TO's and miss boards. Not the case tonight.

Pistons just could not make shots. Had good looks, had plenty of 2nd chances. Just could not make them.

If we had won the 1st 2 here then you know the team would have let up and lost 2 in Miami. This way they know they have to get 1 in Miami

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

This team is REALLY struggling on offense. Cavs were a 1 punch. Heat are a 1-2 punch. The defense won't be able to cover the offense's tracks for any length of time. Gotta hit shots. Hubie mentioned Detroit having a tough time getting to the rim. Gee, wonder why? They haven't been doing it all season. They don't have much practice doing it. Now, all of a sudden, the offense has to completely change. Actually, yes.

16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hate to say it, but don't think the Pistons should win this series. They don't deserve it.

And before everyone goes bashing me, saying "its only one game", "have faith", etc. I've been thinking this for a few weeks now.

Obviously I still WANT them to win, but I have my doubts that they a) will win, or B) deserve to win. The team has become too complacent and has been either unable or unwilling to put forth the effort required to win ballgames, instead relying on their reputation and comfort level to get them through.

The Cavs series should have been a wake up call for this team, but it obviously wasn't. The thing I'm most mad about, is that I'm not even mad that they lost. Its just prolonging the inevitable.

Ok, bash away....

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We couldn't compete tonight--it was probably more mental than physical but the league puts teams in a position where they cannot afford to play long in a series (Cleveland). Can't draw much from this game except we gave them one as we gave SA one last year. And we went on to lose to SA--not a comforting thought.

Ben was the only starter with energy. His defense was phenomenal and our biggest plus is that he handled Shaq pretty well. I can't blame the offense on Ben.

Rip, Tay and Sheed didn't do much tonight. Chauncey is a bigger concern as he has shot reluctantly for awhile.

To beat the Heat we need to play a frenetic style like Dallas or Phoenix which will take Shaq and some of their slow players out of their rythym and on their heels. Did anyone in the organization scout how Chicago scored on them, how Phoenix ran on them during the season? If we run this team, and take it too them, they will fold up. If we don't, they can play half-court with us.

We need to get the ball moving around the horn for the open J. We need to find the seam of the defense as they come out on the shooters with only slow Shaq behind. Chauncey and Rip need to pull up for the short jumpers rather than take it in to Mourning. Sheed will come out next game and abuse Haslem.

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No bashing from me. I was saying the same thing to Micro in a P. M. this morning. This performance didn't surprise me in the least.

19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Bro, you are rite. He's definitely drunk.

We understand that the starters were tired but Ben was the only guy who still has the energy and was playing good D the entire game. This game was lost cuz we could not make shots and that's the bottom line. The defense was good and even the officials had a good game.

Flip should use the time outs wisely so that the starters can have a breather in between. During these time outs, Flip should draw a play and get them more focus instead running up and down and turning the ball over. Lindsey played great D on Wade but on the defensive end, disaster esp in the 2nd half. We should go back to half court offense instead of forcing the issue.

Sheed need to be more aggressive on offense. We need to make the extra passes on offense. Look at the positive, we were shooting this bad and the Heat still have to play till the very end for that win. Looking forward for some minor adjustments esp. on offense on Thursday nite.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I see four problems tonight
    Not attempting to feed Sheed down low
    slow response on their guard penetration
    Poor shooting
    Fatigue

Some credit has to go to Miami for their excellent shooting...

As ugly as that was and as good as Miami played you'd think they would win by more than 5...
    Most of this is correctable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.