1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Round 2 Game 6 - 7pm Fri May 19 Det at Clev

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

If it was up to some people we'd fire Ben too!!!

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And Mo. What a tragedy that would be.

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Here's my OvertheTop prediction for Sunday?...Dice 16 pts. 11 rebounds! As he goes, we gone.....BTW Lindsays stats not bad 5 rebs, 2 steals, 3 assists.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

more like a relocation or demotion. ben isn't worth a max contract.

flip has dodged a bullet. i think he can redeem himself. nothing makes you forget coaching blunders like a nba title. lb made blunders even in the finals but we won the title so they were forgotten. flip can still be a great coach for the pistons.

5. roscoe36

Lindsey was really great tonight. He gets called for those chippy calls, but the "phonebooth" defense is a look that LeBron almost never sees. The fouls are considered when you weight out the total value of taking a star out of his comfort zone.

That is exactly how Rodman played Jordan. Dumars would play him straight up (Tay) and Rodman would come in, going belly to belly, trying to get into Michael's head.

6. roscoe36

Let's hope so. Sometimes I worry that you are going to go "Lee Harvey Oswald" at the parade.

7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

wow. well anyone who wants to can find the worms in this victory, but i just can't for the life of me understand the joy in that. different strokes i guess...

for me, this was, first of all, a win when the opposite would have meant the end of the season. that alone is reason enough to feel happy.

then, individually: good shooting game from sheed (who wasn't afraid to mix it up on the block), ditto on the block for tayshaun, consistent play from rip, ben may not have been a cosntant presence, but he made some big plays, chauncey regained some of his aggressiveness after the half, lindsey gave good defensive minutes (and 5 boards!) off the bench, and so did dyess, though the refs seemed hellbent on taking him out of the game.

as a team, i was glad to see the turnovers drastically cut back to normal after halftime. i was also glad to see them patiently working tay and sheed on the block and working the pick and roll more effectively (finally sheed posted snow up on one of those switches!). in other words, our shot selection was improved and that showed in our fg % (46 % and 43 behind the arc). I also was happy to see them trap up on Lebron on a little bit less -- they seemed quicker and more communicative so that someone might just step out to help for a moment and then get back to their guy: consequently, i think, lebron started to try to do it all by himself in the 4th and the cavs turnovers went up and the production by the other cavs went down. i was glad to see the varejao/marshall production in points and boards cut down as well.

i know it was only a two point game and that in the first half, though the pistons certainly looked more energetic, they seemed no more intelligent or efficient; but they weathered the storm and put together, in the second half, their best half in several games. finally, they shot 16 of 28 from the line. if they just made half of those 12 missed free throws, then it's an 8 point game (and who knows, maybe more since a bigger cushion at certain points in the game might have changed the dynamic; taken the crowd out, etc.).

now, though i'm not interested in harping on these things, there are a few points i'd be happy to see improve still further (in addition to the ft shooting) so that i can enjoy a nice, relaxing game 7 blow out: 1) don't guard varejao and gooden so tightly on the pick and rolls, sag off them; because guarding them tightly 20 feet from the hoop seems to me to give them a head start to the bucket where lebron finds them for easy dunks, which is about the only way they'll score; 2) clean up the rotations on the defensive boards, with special focus on Z, who had several easy tips; 3) don't be so afraid to shoot open jumpers early in the shot clock. i'm not necessarily saying they need to go PHX on the cavs, nor that they should start chucking up no-pass 3 pointers, but they need to loosen up the offensive flow a little more in my opinion and regain their confidence on mid-range jumpers, esp. chauncey and tay.

8. bball jay

no the pistons are safe. i'm not allowed within 500 feet of ben wallace, larry brown, mo evans, lindsey hunter, darvin ham, danny crawford, micheal curry or flip saunders. i'd get arrested on sight.

i do have my spot still picked out on the parade route. i still believe.

9. bball jay

i agree and i'll add. go to the bench more. delk didn't really produce but at least put him back in the game. let mcdyess foul out. what are you saving him for flip?? if he fouls out you can put the dpoy back in the game.

foul lebron hard when he comes to the hole. no more easy layups. you're going to get the call on you anyway.

10. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Seems to me our dpoy kept LBJ from a few AND1s tonight with several erasures. Something we hadn't done before.

11. bball jay

yup. he sure did. his man also doubled sheed and tay relentlessly in the post without having to pay for it. his man also clogged up the paint so rip and cb couldn't drive to the hoop. our dpoy also got dunked on by lebron that got the crowd back into the game. lebron is hard to check especially with the way the refs are calling the game. i say if the refs aren't going to allow the pistons to defend lebron then why not have a player in there that can help on offense instead of hinder. mcdyess had it going early and flip went away from him. i think this has to do with ben being in a contract year.

you think ben would sign with us next year if mcdyess takes his minutes for the remainder of the season???

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

probably not, unfortunately

but maybe he'll have more oversight of his game plans or lack therof

13. roscoe36

Postgame audio.

Names on files are self explanatory.

Notes:

Mike Brown talks too much. It's like he's trying to teach reporters or justify his ability to coach. Waaaay too long winded.

LeBron James is as boring as you would think he could be. He doesn't take any risks or provide anything of value EXCEPT, he did complain about the phantom call he got at the endof the game. He would have rather the refs did not give a trip the free throw line, and that Flip Murray take the open 3 from the corner off of his pass. Gee, too bad we can't turn conspiracies (sic) off and on at will eh, Bron Bron?

One more thing. Lebron does something I find really creepy during interviews. He brings in a statistical crib sheet like some coaches do, and he refers to it constantly to answer questions. It just seems so.... contrived.

Rasheed Wallace. You gotta love him as a person. A frustrating basketball player at times, he's honest, never afraid to say something silly ("Ben is erratic on the boards...") and doesn't dodge the tough questions.

Flip. The only thing that keeps me from leading the lynch mob is that he gives good press. Excellent in front of the mic, handles his business, throw no one under the bus, takes some heat, explains some heat away and makes off before anyone can really peel the skin from his hide. I imagine that many of us who don't like Flip would be surprised to know that he is really not all that different from Chuck Daly.

nJoy. All files are in MP3 format.

Attached Files:

14. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

A very good morning from the Netherlands, what a way to start a saturday :)

When I got up, my cable was down:mad: , but fortunately after wating almost 1 hour everything was online again.
    Well, it was worth the waiting. I had my mind set to a loss already, so this came as a huge surprise. I cannot wait to see this game. And that will be.......ehm...... tomorrow??:ohwell:

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was the Detroit Pistons against the Refs. I'm really not sure how much more one sided a game could be called.

If Lebron is going to complain about the phantom foul at the end that "denied" his team 3 points, he should probably fess up to the 4 times he was cleanly blocked by Big Ben, which resulted in 7 for 8 shooting from the line. This is about as credible as boxing.

I think I'm going to make the transition to College bball in the off season.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

OK we are feelin good now, and we can all get a good's night rest and think for at least another day we can relax as our beloveds have staved off elimination. :whoo: :amen:

The Palace will be a mad house Sunday and my suggestion is the Pistons wear the 8-0 red uniforms, :mad2: and have all the fans wear red too and big afros to if they have them.
    Of course, Ben will have to have the wife unravel the braids as the Fear the Fro has to be in effect :rockon::rant:.

Just because we are back at home don't mean a thang. I hope it's not another chess and boxin match:boxing:to the end, as that might take the fans out out of it. We got to smash these guys :smash: early and blow them out in the first half shut & down Labron before he can control the game like has done the last 16-17 quarters. I don't think I can sit through another labronailbiting 2 point game. Our biggest lead in this game was 4 points 83-79:mad:.

We got to shoot better at the FT line.....even if we win sunday's game it will be hard pressed to get to victory #16, shooting 16-28 from line or worst every game.

Lets hope tonight victory restores confidence and gets the offense back in gear. The 3's is what got them here and other than Sheed, we were afraid to take them. It's not like were pounding thim in the paint..mix it up and stop being tentative.

Nine to the Ship :first:

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Finally, the Cleveland strangehold is broken. Just barely. We could have lost. But now the psychology is all against Cleveland. Le Bron will be pressed to take it upon his shoulders Sunday and the Pistons will be energized and run a looser offense. It looked bad for a while. They got into our passing lanes. They knew when to double the post, etc. We had breakdowns on defense. But we finally took and hit some shots.

I have said this before, this team when pressed, instead of staying with its offensive game, tightens up and drives and goes one on one. We are not good down in the block. We are good when we take the open J and when we pass or run a play to get it. A case in point--Chauncey driving down around the basket and coming back out and THEN shooting the three in a flow. Bam! Sheed, Bam! When we hit our daggers our defense becomes energized. How many shots did Ilgouskis block tonight??

Its over. Cleveland is done. But we have many lessons to learn from this series.

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

LA Dre, what an inspired use of smilies in your euphoric victory post!

So how are we going to get your equally inspired Red Palace idea out?

Does anyone on this board know anyone who knows anyone who could make this happen? Can we email the Pistons organization, or a fan club with the idea? It would be way cool. And I love the Return to Red uniforms. They are quite fetching on our boys.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i watched all of the postgame interviews on FSN, and flip TRIED to put dice back in the game, but he said NO keep sheed in there because he was doing okay and he didn't want his ankle to get cold and sore, he wanted sheed to stay loose. just thought you'd like to know. :)

also dice man, he wants this BAD. kelser said he was an animal in the morning practice, completely focused and determined. and if you couldn't get the FSN broadcast, kelser said that mcdyess didn't even change out of his jersey after game 5. he kept his jersey on and drove home in it. can you tell this guy didn't want that to be the last home game of the year?

aurora, not sure about your red palace thingie, especially since i believe you can only wear the alternate jerseys 8 or 9 times throughout the year which we may have exceeded. i could be wrong on that. what i'd rather see is a concerted effort to make it like a college game, where everyone just goes 'ooooooooo' real loudly and jumps up and down whenever cleveland has the ball.

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Good luck getting the college-game effect. I don't think the Palace crowd has it in them. Too many rich folks soaking in the whole social atmosphere. These rich cats relish being in "the right place at the right time." They like getting on TV. I cringe every time they show Kid Rock's redneck mug. People around the country begin to associate Kid Rock with Detroit. I hate that. Kid Rock is a nasty, greasy-haired beetch.

Anyway, back to the game. Mike Brown pretty much screwed the pooch last night. While Detroit was getting all those offensive rebounds, his best rebounder was standing next to him on the bench: Drew Gooden. Great for us, of course. One of the worst things has happened to Brown. His team has gotten good enough that he is actually presented with "options." The bad thing about having options is you don't always choose the right one. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

Also, Cavs didn't use the timeout they had. Brown said he wanted to "save it" in case Cleveland scored quickly, fouled and got the ball back. Tough call on that one. Just got done listening to Brown's reasoning on that one and it seems pretty sound to me. Thanks, Micro, for posting the pc clips. I appreciate that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.