1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Round 2 Game 5 - 7pm Mon May 17 Clev at Det

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Sensible post here. Who are these guys with "Pistons" emblazoned across their chests? Damn, I wish I could sleep. :mad:

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Would I like to see Flip peel the hide off some guys? Sure. But like I said, this franchise enabled the players to feel this way. Joe hired Flip as the right guy for these guys, at this point and time. Maybe he is, I don't know. But I look at the guys on this team and see at least a few who probably have to fail before they listen to anybody.

ahb, if we're going to speculate that Flip is the only difference between last year's gutty performers and this year's bunch, don't we also have to remember the difference between last year and the year before? A championship. That's what worries me, the diminishing returns. This team hasn't handled success as well as it handled being the underdog.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BBj, I thought Buckets was to solidify our bench.
    And our tight 6 were enpenetrable.
    If we don't get by the Cavs either Flip or BBen goes.

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're so damn right. It makes me sad that the team that's currently giving us so many fits is even more gentle, more sympathique than the Pistons.
    I miss the "team is the MVP", the "going to work"- attitude that all of us love(d)- I hated it, when they had their off- games in the season and talking that fatigue- bull%%%% as an excuse for not hustle, for not giving effort. I always said to myself, ok, wait til' playofftime and now this.
    Let's hope some of them find their heart again- it can't be that Dyess and maybe Prince are the only ones to show will to win it.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I do not understand the players saying that all of a sudden they cannot make shots. 3 games not being able to make shots?

Kudos to Dice for showing up, but where was he in the 3 games previous? Hunter, Delk, Evans, Davis all unused in a game that could have been stolen by pulling out all the stops.

Feeling numb today.

6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Flip's coaching certainly leaves a lot to be desired but I don't think that's why they are in the hole. When Flipper came aboard this team was playoff tested and had the 1 ship under their belt and very strongly felt they let the 2nd one get away. In short, they were arrogant and felt a sense of entitlement. Flip being an easy guy fell under the illusion that this team can turn it on/off anytime. A large part of it was their past record and Flip getting internal confirmation that this was a loose bunch of guys. He and most of the fan base felt the Pistons can do no wrong. Fast forward 3 losses in row and it is clear that he needs to coach this team and not let them walk their path.

They disrespected the Cavs after game 3 and Sheed continues to do so. This attitude has now come back and bit them hard. The confidence is gone and it clearly shows in the play. Props to the Cavs for taking advantage of the situation. They did what they had to do.

Going into game 6, I hope the team is humbled sufficiently enough to awaken their competitive instincts and desire to win. No promises, just go out and perform. I am getting tired of Sheed's antics.

7. roscoe36

This was the best post I have read this post-season. Front to back.

8. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Sorry if I'm re-hashing stuff from earlier in the string (didn't read the whole thing.)

The team is talking about confidence and all the right things, but they're playing tight on the offensive end. Which is leading to a lot of one-on-one basketball and a lot of turnovers.

Dyess finally got some confidence in the fourth quarter last night, but he was afraid to shoot in game four. I wish Rip (who was ice cold at this point) would have looked to an open Dyess (who was hot) rather than forcing shots down the stretch.

Why, in the final seconds of a game, do we always try to force something that isn't there? Just toss the ball in the basket.

9. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

me too. i woke up this morning.......slowly opened my eyes......i felt it coming.....the realization that last night wasn't just a bad dream :(

i still think this team is perfectly capable of reeling off two straight versus the Cavs, so hope isn't lost with me.

but man, what a crappy way to wake up this morning.

10. roscoe36

Flip is tightening up as well. As the game gets tight, as the players are tight, he doesn't sub or call timeouts. He doesn't break the game down into manageable chunks to stall momentum shifts, or sub out a struggling player so they can regain their composure.

That is the ONE key flaw I am seeing from Flip. Per previous posts, 95% of this is on the players. I don't want Sheed to shut up (get tight), I want him to back up his big mouth. YAP and BANG THAT TRAMP!

Mr. Big Shot (in my mind) has been a lot more annoying. He plays bad and the best he can come up with is, "I'll be ready for Friday". So he wasn't ready the last 3 games? C'mon Chauncey, Damon Jones and Eric Snow are making you look like Pepe Sanchez for the love of Dele.

11. anakin

Pistons need to go back to their roots. Re-discover what made them a winning club.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

ben being a unrestricted free agent is tying flips hands. flip has to keep ben somewhat happy. mcdyess should be playing 30+ minutes. him and rasheed stretch the defense out. the paint is clogged and no post up for tay who the cavs have no answer for. i think flip is scared to sub because he wants to be able to say it was the players not his substitions. i think jmax would be good for this series he's just way tougher than any of the cavs bigs. but yes i know young players don't play in the playoffs.

where is fino?? he's a great on the ball defender against driving players that are too fast and strong for tay. fino is similar in strength to lebron. well closer to it than tay.

i think flip needs to stop doubling lebron. we play everyone else straight up now we double lebron. it was a good idea the first 2 games but mike brown has found a way to solve it. flip needs to go back to straight up man to man. have our bigs waiting at the basket to either block or take the charge. even if they only get 2 out of 6 charge calls. doubling lebron opens up the game for verajao, jones, gooden, marshall. none of those guys can just simply score on thier own.

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Even after a night of sleep....THIS IS THE GOD*AMNED CLEVELAND CAVALIERS! FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!

This is a direct result of lame coaching. EVERYBODY, including the players, insisted they could win regardless of the coach.

HOWEVER

The ONLY time they have been successful is when they had a coach who was a strict defensive coach who INSISTED on coaching, making guys do what they were supposed to do, and focusing on the reason they were successful....DEFENSE. Even when our offense was bad in stretches the last two years, the difference was, no matter how few points we scored the opponent was guaranteed to score LESS.

Needless to say, that's the coach that everyone hates. Amazing.

If this guy gets us bounced in the 2nd round to the %%%%ing Cavs, he better be gone before the streamers hit the floor.

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Kp and Micro, I agree. We have been playing and coaching tight since game 4. Dyss finally said this is basketball and took the open J's. We are so worried about how we look that we have forgotten about how to play basketball on the offensive end.

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Thank you Low! My God the Larry Brown complainers hated getting to the finals two straight years, if we get dumped by the Cavs they'll have to eat their words.

16. anakin

Why not take a few players along with him? I am equally tired of the prima-donna attitude this team has taken. Constant whinin with the refs, "we know what we got to do" BS and Sheed's non-stop mouth with nothing to show by way of performance.

LB knew what buttons to push with this set of guys but he had worn out his welcome with the players. What is LB doing with the Knicks? They are already tired of his act.

The players need to take a big share in this fiasco. Flip is not shootin 30-40% from the FG. He is not missing the easy layups or making turnovers. Doesn't mean I like what he is doing but this is not all on his shoulders. Veterans should know how to win.

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

good post anakin
    @thelow
    this blame the coach- BS sucks. It's the players who have to convert. How many times do you want to change the coach? Until no one wants to come to Detroit anymore except for scrubs? Destroy the chemistry before it even exists? No, Flip's not the one to blame.

18. roscoe36

There is plenty of blame to go around (including JD). The only way any of these folks can redeem themselves is to rise to the occassion.

The question is, are the Pistons able to counter the incredible momentum that Cleveland has gained, and steal one on the road in a building they have traditionally had a difficult time winning in?

Even good games from Flip, and the starting 6 might not be enough. The damage may already be done.

I know one thing. They cannot play tight. Maybe they should call up Uncle Cliffy and get him to bring some pre-game "party favors" over.

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

IF and that's a big IF we lose to the lowly Cavs how in the Hell are we going to let Flip go blameless. As Charles Barkley said last night...Flip is the only significant part of this team that has changed. Unless you think dealing Darko set us back.

I will have to dig up all the old posts at the beginning of the season when Low and some of us were very afraid of what would happen to this team after we fired a Hall of Fame coach who took us to the Finals both years. If we lose....Low's posts earlier in the year will seem very prophetic.

20. anakin

Bills, Flip's not the only thing of significance that has changed. The bigger change is the loss of the blue-collar goin to work attitude that was characteristic of what a Piston was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.