Round 2 Game 5 - 7pm Mon May 17 Clev at Det

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

WAKE UP,,,u comment on what u FEEL instead of the logic of what is actually goin on. Like Arroyo this Darko that and they aint here. And if they were, what makes u think they'd play anyway? Are u watching Flip at all?
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. i watch flip. i watched lb. i watched cola. it's the same cycle of not playing guys on the bench that deserve to play. i'm not saying darko and arroyo exactly would have saved us. i'm saying we can't be afraid to play our bench. it's not just darko and arroyo just play somebody else other than the starting 6. rip missing and turning it over. ben can't hit a free throw. play evans, play delfino, play delk. we can't rebound play dale davis or jmax.

what logic is that to play the same players even if they ain't getting it done. run the same plays even if it ain't working? defend the same way whether it works or not. play the starters more if they are tired.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

sigh...

For those overwhelmed with frustration over tonight's game...I direct you to the "Do You Follow Other Sports?" thread/poll in the site feedback section.

Here's to a better Friday...
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons relied so much on the long ball during the season, that they didn't have clue how to work the paint for drives, short jumpers or dunks.

17 TO's in game 5 , 16 in game 4.....nuff said? Ok how bout 10 Ft's missed

We beat them to death with the 3 ball in games 1 & 2 and hit only 5 & 2 in the last two games and lose by 2 points in each!!:frusty:

Why is it our point guard can't ever find an open man under the hoop. Why is it both Rip and CB drive to the hoop from the left and Tay drives from the right?

Why does Rip pass the ball to Ben with less than 12 seconds on the clock? if he is anywhere in the paint he won't give it up:doh:

Does Ben know how to pass it to an open man when he is attempting his patentent drive and curl to the hoop that never draws iron? :confused:

What was the use of getting rid Arroyo and and then not even playing Delk or Delfino. :confused:

Sheed's foot in mouth disease has put the #1 over all seed in jeopardy of getting bounced before getting to the conference finals. Dem fighting words that didn't arouse our team, but the instead the opponent. I can only hope that he keeps his mouth shut the next two days and let his post play take action.:mad:

And finally if the Cavs take us out in 6 games, Flip need not wait to get fired he just needs to turn his palace ID card and walk off into the sunshine...never to be head from again. :violin:

SO make me a believer Phillip, I want to see you coaching next Tuesday...get this ship straight and we will win one.:laugh:
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ever seen this many close playoff games.. it's unreal.
    Stern's gotta be pleased with the balance.

Agree with KGreg on using Dice & C.B. more on the P&R.
    Just maybe Sheed will hit a couple post moves for a change.
    Not used to see this many players off at the same time... it looks like Rip has no room to roam as they're packing it in.
    I can't remember that last lob play... guess it doesn't work when you got five Cavs in the paint.
    Varajeo's mobility is making it tough to use Sheed more.

Nothing a wake up call won't fix (including the coach)... I hope they're burning the midnight oil tonight.
  6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Well look who's back....bball jay. Has he told us how we would have won with Darko sittin on the bench yet?

These last two losses (I ain't countin game 3...we ALWAYS lose that one), should be placed at Flip's doorstep. He musta left the "LBJ rules" at home. Somebody introduce him to "adjustments," willya? :frusty:
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Dre, you prolly heard Flip talking about all teams are going to a 7 & 8 man in the playoffs cause of the delays in the games... but I'm with you at least for Delk... why change things that were working?... Heaven knows we could use some points off the bench (bench getting beat just about every game).
    I wonder if Cleveland will use Hughes Friday.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd rather watch replays of robert horry all day and the spurs celebrating their championship than watch another piss poor game. One lame effort is one thing. Two in a row is pretty much unheard of. Three? At home? F this.
  9. Mad Hatter

Fear not fellow Piston fans. We got em right where we want em.....with our backs to the wall.

Everybody cept Dice and a "sometimey" Prince was off their game tonight. That ain't happenin again. I hope. :wacko:
  10. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

I'm not worried folks. We came back on Orlando, New Jersey and Miami, in recent years. So I'm not losing any sleep in thinking we can't come back on this young, very green Cleveland team.

I'm with Hatter, this is where we're at our best. When there's nothing left to lose.

Go Pistons! :nod:
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

was at the game. i have a LOT of thoughts on this one, but i'm going to mostly hold off until tomorrow when i'm not so upset. i definitely think we got screwed by the refs...any time we got close they called some serious crap. but again it's not the only reason we lost. and say what you will about 'sheed, at least he speaks his mind and alluded to the officiating in his postgame interviews.

this was the FIRST game that felt like a playoff game, where the fans were into it, and sadly it could be the last. and after chauncey's 3 with 4:14 to go in the 3rd, the crowd willed the pistons back into the game. it's hard to explain if you're not there, but the crowd does have that much impact.

and finally, i'm tired of varejao flopping every time and pretending he's getting hit in the face, along with his constant illegal screens that allow lebron to get full-steam-ahead drives to the hoop.

but like i said, i'll have more to say tomorrow.
  12. Mad Hatter

Warthog
    Glad to hear that Warthog. On TV, it looked to me like the fans were rather subdued. Next time you go to a game, take some more hell-raisers with ya, aaiiight?
  13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I dont get the doggin Prince bs at all. He get hot in the 3rd making 3 buckets in a row and a 3 that did not count after a foul and then he didnt get the ball because the pistons wanted to try and get Rip goin it did not make sense.
    Billups wtf were you thinking fouling Lebron on that play:frusty: let him get his dunk and stay in the game.
    Varejao is causing all kinds of problems Flip make the adjustments or prepare to be crucified!
    Ben I love you man but you cant have my Bud Light cuz you cant make a freethrow!
    Sheed hope you got a good veiw of what is going wrong from the bench cuz you need to show up for a change.

Just remember TNT's slogan "Catch all the DRAMA on TNT" I cant think of a better DRAMA than the Pistons knockin out the "king". I love the Pistons but the backs to the wall thing sux. Miami is waiting get to it.
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

were u guys p-o'd when u didnt see the Fro? I think it inately meant something....
  15. jwalk40

jwalk40 Second Round Draft Pick

Does anybody know what the Pistons record is now when Dan Crawford is officiating? They have got to realize they aren't as successful when he is out there. I'm not sure what you can do to adjust to an official (other than knowing that he will call a technical foul), but their style of play does not mesh well with his style of officiating.
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

rofl...Classic! You got me to smile. :fish2::pound: I'm going to look at this picture every time I think about games 2-5.
  17. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

I normally don't download games the Pistons have lost. But after all the comments in here and over at Detnews I downloaded game 3 and 4.

I made me puke.

I'm surprised Flip is still in charge as headcoach. If he would have been headcoach of one of the main soccer teams here in Holland, he would have been fired immmediately after game 4.
    It amazes me that a coach or a coaching staff can get away with the same not-working-game-plan/benchrotations/...whatever.. over and over again, and not one person in the entire organisation steps up to put a stop to this. Is a headcoach some sort of God in the NBA??
    The previous seasons the Pistons were able to get out of this sort of series because they were able to fight, and could rely on their relentless defense when it mattered. But I see no fighting, no passion, and defense is clearly not one of the chapters of Flip's playbook.
    So please, someone in Detroit, wake up, step up and do what is needed to get this group back on track, or it will end next game.
  18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

After losses like this (these), everyone unpacks the pet complaint they've been nursing for months and eagerly airs it out as the cause of all the hurt.

Sorry, no. It's not Darko. Not Arroyo. Not the refs, or Delfino and the bench, or some issue of disrespect. Or even Flip.

This team has become a polite version of the 2004 Lakers. Arrogant, complacent, feeling entitled to things it shouldn't have to work for. And pitifully unable to cope when an opponent dares to hit back.

It's been a long time coming. Way before Flip came here, fans had noted the barking at refs, the over-reliance on stealing games at the end, the spotty internal motivation when they had a team down. But it all crystallized for me at the end of Game 5 ... when Prince served up that weak runner that got spiked like a volleyball, and Hamilton decided he'd rather try to engineer a foul than get off a shot.

Weak. Very weak.

Maybe the team proves me wrong and shows there's enough in the tank to turn this thing around. Maybe they just need to feel that cold wall pressing against their backs again, after living it up as NBA fatcats.

But we're starting to see diminishing returns here, and you can only get yourself out of trouble so many times before the bill comes due. Now it seems like a bunch of bills are coming due at once, and I find myself wondering what Joe is thinking.

We know Joe's history when guys can't get it done in the playoffs - Stack gone, Cliffy gone. What's ahead when the starters on a 64-win team can't get it done? Blame Flip all you want, but these guys think they win regardless of coaching and have said as much on many occasions. That's an attitude they've been allowed to have, so I'm not leading any Flip lynch mobs ... just wondering where that Detroit team I used to like so much has gone off to. Because I don't like these guys very much, even when they win.
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

LanierFan, I think a big part of that "ego" problem is Flip. All year he just works up these guys like their %%%% dont stink. All this "Chauncey MVP" crap has CLEARLY gone to his head, and Flip was first in line pumping that out. As much as I disliked some of the things LB did, he used to take this team down a notch when they played with a lack of effort or focus.

Say what you want, but part of a coaches job is to motivate the team to go out there and execute the game plan. The lax defensive rotations, the awful rebounding, the poor shot selection, etc. All of these things are issues that the coach is supposed to address. Sorry, but I haven't seen it. And I won't mention the awful sub patterns, Jumper-only playbook, etc. Since those are CLEARLY coach issues.

Sometimes, with a team that has had as much success as the Piston with the all-stars, the rings, etc, you have to take down that ego a bit. Flip doesn't appear to want to do that. He insists that his "player's coach" philosophy works. And frankly, it's going to work him straight out of a job before he knows it.

Not to say the players don't deserve a nice sized chunk of the blame, but Flip's way of coaching just isn't cutting it with these players either way. And it didn't work in Minny. Coincidentally in the same exact way. (Great Regular season. Awful post-season)
  20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I mostly agree with LanierFan, to the point where I'm almost hoping that the Pistons lose Game 6.

But Flip is the only difference between the feared, clutch, chemistry-and-heart, "go-to team" Pistons of the last few years and this bunch of gutless chokers. It's obvious that he's being outcoached in this series, and that it's because of passive negligence rather than active misconduct doesn't make me any more sympathetic to him.

Maybe drastic changes need to be made. A shakeup of the starting 5 along with a new coach might invigorate the team.:ohwell:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.