Round 2 Game 3 - 5pm Sat May 13 Det at Clev

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by max, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pardon me for late response, I'm at Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Nice to meet you Delv59.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Is China going to invade?

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Just looked at the stats and you were right. I think the cold hand came near the close of the 3rd quarter though. I do find it funny that whenever I seem to think one player is the key to the success to this teeam, the next game always proves me wrong. I used to think it was B. Wallace's defensive intensity, then I thought it was C-Note's court leadership and big play ability, then I thought it was Rip's Consistency and man-to-man D, then I thought it was Tay's X-Factor.....

All I know is that when we have at least 3 of 5 of those things going we normally win. 4 or 5 out of 5 and we win BIG!

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think Rip needs to shoot more 3s in the 4th Q. His jumper seems to fail him often. I'd like to see him do 4 3s in the 4th, if his midrange is cold.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The series is OVER. From the standpoint of which team will prevail, it is over and done. Cleveland will not win 4 games out of the next 5.

The question which remains is can Cleveland make it "interesting"? In other words, can Cleveland (or will they)win two (2) games? They won't win three (3).

I hope they don't win two (and I think they won't). Extra games mean an increased risk of injury and fatigue.

But if Cleveland does win a couple, prepare yourselves for the following from the usual suspects:

(1) Fire Flip!!

(2) We need a bench.

(3) Trade Sheed!

(4) What's wrong with Ben?

(5) Tay needs to wake up (or he needs help guarding LBJ).

(6) Chauncy needs to quit being complacent and stop taking dumb shots.

(7) Rip's ankle must be bothering him

(8) This team is blowing it.

(9) If Darko was here...

(10) Hunter should have retired

etc. etc. etc.(or should I say excederin headache #2458)?

This season, perhaps more than any other, we expect to bring home the trophy. IMO it's a very reasonable and realistic expectation based on the way the year has unfolded.

The Pistons WILL win the championship. (Disclaimer: barring injury...then it becomes iffy). After this series, the competition gets tougher. Detroit is going to need to work hard to earn the title. Other teams would like to win it too. Don't panic when there are some :bump: s in the road.

OK, I'm done. :lalala:
    I really have no idea why I posted this.:confused::laugh:

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree with this observation. And I think it could be broken down still further.

I think of the key, characteristic elements that each of the players brings as lights that can be on or off. Some of the players very obviously contribute more than one "light" (e.g. Chauncey as court leader/passer and Chauncey as big play scorer; Sheed as triple threat and Sheed as low post force and Sheed as defensive presence; Dyess as scorer and Dyess as rebounder, etc.). When I think of it that way, there are probably a total of about 10 of these "lights" that could come "on" at any given moment in a game (and be on for a second or for 48 minutes, depending on the night). (I'm sort of imagining an array of christmas tree light bulb, right?)

I know it's kind of a clumsy metaphor, but it gets at the fact that even with a single game, various Pistons step up for a few minutes at a time, then kind of step back while someone else steps up and does his thing, etc... all depending not only how each of them is feeling that night, but also on what the poor opponent is trying to take away. So, Rip didn't shoot the ball frequently or well from the floor on Tuesday night, but he never stopped moving and the number of fouls he took indicates not only his aggressiveness but how much attention Cleveland was paying to him. That gives more room for the Tayshaun as scorer light to come on, not to mention teh Sheed lights to come on.

But wait, there's more: here comes the beauty and refinement of this "lights" metaphor. Let's say that there are 10 of these "lights" -- it would be interesting for Stat Sprocket Man to figure out for us just exactly how many there should be -- and 48 minutes per game, there are a total of 480 possible "light-minutes" in a Piston game. Each Pistons game could now be rated on a scale of 0 (no piston player brings any of their characteristic, key contributions for even a single minute) to 480 (each Piston player brings all of their characteristic key contributions for every minute they are on the floor).

Within that scale, and plugging my extensive statistical mapping of the team into my Cray Mainframe, I've determined that we win most games so long as we hit 240 on the "light-minute" scale. :eyebrows:

(i just woke up from a nap, so you can chalk this whole light vision up to the collective unconscious, or a visit by my animal familiar or some such thing... i don't want personally to take credit for it, you know)

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not to mention the headlights on the Automotion.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1:06 PM

Nice life...

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

thanks!! :) I like it. :laugh:

but seriously SpRocket Man: aren't you gonna do the real numbers for me on the light thing? I was sure that would inspire a column, think of the complexity; the permutations; the calculations; the prestidigitations!!!

("I think it's gonna be a long, long time"...)

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

:laugh:
    LMAO!!!!!

11. talentedsportsfan

talentedsportsfan Second Round Draft Pick

Check out the shirts me and my friend are wearing to the game.

I bet this will get the Q stirred up...lol
    [​IMG]

roscoe36: don't advertise here

12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Pure genius.That's funny and I hope you make it back to your car after the game.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

A lot of imes when I see Sheed post up he scores. The 3's are definantly fine because it will force their bigs out of the paint, but if he consistantly does both it would make whoever's gaurding Sheed work very hard. If we face san Antonio I probably wouldn't mind Sheed being out on the perimeter so that he can force Tim Duncan out of the paint. If they switch up Nazr, Horry, or Rasho wouldn't stand a chance in gaurding Sheed in the post. This year if our forwards are agressive (Sheed, Tay, and Dice) we'll be much better.

14. talentedsportsfan

talentedsportsfan Second Round Draft Pick

I'll try to be brave...But I can't wait to see their faces.

15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

As road warriors our most significant weakness has been a tendancy to become very perimeter oriented. We usually don't shake that urge until the score nececitates otherwise.

Our high shooting % has helped diminish the Cavs full court thrusts to the basket. Being on the road has also helped reduce the Cavs bench contribution. Lastly, being home has gotten us more friendly whistle toots.

[STRIKE]Lambs[/STRIKE] Lemonpens Lowdown:
    1- control the boards, to slow the Cav transition game
    2- execute well on O, making the Cavs take the ball out of the hoop.
    3- avoid foul trouble. Labron will be more aggressive at home

16. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

:laugh: I love the shirt!!!

17. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

WOW!!! If I'm not wrong, this is the 1st time there is 4 pages of posts before a game in this forum. Just to show how long this break in between games is. Everyone here can't wait for Game 3.

Even though I predicted the Pistons to win the series 4-2 before the playoffs starts, I do hope we sweep them. Look for Rip to have a good game this evening.

The Cavs will definitely have some favorables calls from the ref, so hopefully the starters will take these calls without whinning too much else, look for Sheed getting tech No. 3. In order for the Pistons to win this game, we must win the war of boards.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I wish the games were closer because then we could have a longer break between the next round if we get past this round.

19. max

max All-Star

I suspect a clost game but it may help how Clev came back at the end of game 2. Perhaps that was the letdown the team needed to bury the Cavs. Still expect more calls for James and for someone else like Ilgauskas or Hughes to get hot.

Pistons 94 Cavs 91

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Himat I disagree, if we win it will be because we had ample time between games. If we lose it will be because we couldn't play our D. Unkind iron is no excuse because we should have the energy to play down low. Guesting of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.