Round 1 : Game 2 : Milwaukee at Detroit

Discussion in '2006 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons vs Bucks
    Series 1-0 DET
    Wednesday April 26th, 2006
    7:30pm

The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: tv20 Detroit / NBATV / RNBATV
    Radio: WDFN 1130 AM

BillLaimbeer's Look at this series:

The Milwaukee Bucks will be the Pistons 1st round opponent this year. At 40-42, the Bucks will be the only team in the 2006 NBA playoffs with a losing record.

The Bucks started out the season pretty strong (17-11), but have had losing records in each of the last four months:

November 7-6
    December 9-5
    January 7-10
    February 6-7
    March 7-8
    April 4-6

Milwaukee depends on Michael Redd (25.4 ppg) for over a quarter of their offense. On any given night, Redd can go off for 40+ points. In the 3 games Redd scored 40+ this year, however, the Bucks are 1-2. The shooting guard is the only position that Milwaukee holds the advantage over the Pistons (Rip Hamilton).

The Bucks have some youth at most key positions and that should prove to be the difference in this series. Point guard T.J. Ford is playing in his first full season. Ford averages 12.2 ppg and 6.6 assists per game (14th in the NBA). Edge: Detroit (Chauncey Billups)

At the small forward, Bobby Simmons is really in his 2nd full season as a starter. His numbers and experience are somewhat similar to Tayshuan Prince, but I'll give a slight edge to Detroit with Tay's all-around game.

The Pistons also have an advantage inside with the Wallace's matching up against rookie Andrew Bogut (good rebounding and FG% numbers) and Jamaal Magloire (3rd season as a starter in the NBA, 9.5 rebounds per game).

The bench production differs a little bit, as far as scoring goes. The Bucks have 8 guys scoring 8+ ppg. The Pistons have 7 guys scoring 7+ ppg. Detroit most likely will use an 8-man rotation with McDyess, Delk, and Hunter coming off the bench.
    Defense: The Pistons rank 3rd in the NBA for points allowed (90.1). The Bucks rank 20th, giving up 99.8 ppg.

The Bucks have beaten just about every team in the NBA, including Detroit, Miami, New Jersey, San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix. With a 40-42 record, the Bucks have lost to just about every team in the NBA, as well.

Season series:
    Nov 26: Det 85, @Mil 76
    Jan 25: @Det 106, Mil 102 (OT)
    Mar 31: @Det 112, Mil 105
    Apr 17: @Mil 113, Det 93

Detroit won the season series 3-1, although the Bucks win came in a game when Detroit was resting its starters (Sheed and Rip didn't even dress). The 3 Piston wins were all close games.

For a #1 vs. #8 matchup, these games will be more competitive than most people predict. My guess is the Pistons win the series 4-1. The difference will be Detroit's experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~​
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Since rip is a little banged up we should have more shots else where so that rip can hound michael redd. I would like to see a fast start so all the bench can have playoff time.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Couple of things to look for tommorrow night...

- First is of course, will Rip play and how effective can he be coming off the spained ankle. Press reports today indicate he will start and seem to imply he won't be slowed by the injury.

- More important for Rip, will the refs let him play the way he did in game 1? Yeah, it's a playoff game, and yeah you can get away with more than in the regular season, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Rip pick up a couple of quick fouls in game 2. Maybe Sheed too. The bench will be more important tomorrow.

- How about that hack-a-Ben? When Stotts pulled that out of the bag of tricks it was really too late in the game to make any difference (only a couple of hackable posessions before the 2:00 minute mark). So, why then? I'm guessing he was planting a seed, trying to get inside Ben's head a bit. It's good that BBen split the throws. But I wonder what might happen if you intentionally fouled Ben everytime he grabbed an offensive board.

- Interesting stats in one of the articles about how many games the Pistons starters have played since 03/04. Prince leads the league with 295 games. CB, BBen, and Rip are 2, 3, and 4. Then Bowen, then Sheed. Talk about settling into a pre-game routine. These guys will need occupational therapy to figure out what to do with themselves if they ever lose in the first round.

- Game 2 seems the pivotal one to me. The Pistons did what they were supposed to do in game 1. It will be a different Bucks team (though still without Kukoc) on Wednesday. I'd guess a Pistons win somewhere in the 94-88 or 94-86 range. Win Wednesday and it's all over except the shouting. Let the Bucks pick one up and they might grab another in cheese-land.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ps 96
    Bs 76
    no mercy
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Got some info feom MilwJournalsentinel on the announcers from Game 1(BTW, our online and beat writers in Detroit rank second to Nashville as the worst I've read). Matt devlin is the Charlotte NBA PBP guy and u know about Van Gundy, who is very good. For Game 2, it'll be Ian Eagle(?) and my boy Bill Raftery("Pistons start the game MAN 2 MAN!)
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

BTW, SI.com ranked Devlin and Adrian Branch the worst paired teamed in the league.
  7. max

max All-Star

Bucks have not tapped Gadzuric yet. He had some good games against the Pistons. Energy guy who is hard to keep off the glass because he can camp out down there not being involved in the offense.

Still have to play the game. Only thing that can beat the Pistons is themselfs.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

guess i am goin to the game, so see you guys at the palace! :D
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I've always wanted him to backup Ben, having watched him a lot when I lived in Milwaukee. But I think there's a caveman lurking in there. I've never-ever heard him speak....even back at UCLA!
  10. max

max All-Star

Anyone up for bringing back guessing the score?

I say Pistons 94 Bucks 81
  11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Gameday. Rip will definitely play. The question is, how effective will he be guarding Redd? The starting 5 minutes will give us the answer. If Rip is not effective, we can put CB or Tay on him. The 3rd option is putting Hunter on Redd.

As long as out bigs play the way they play in the 1st game, we'll be allright with or without Rip being effective, even if he sits most of the game to rest that ankle. Big Ben grabbing 12 rebounds, few blocks and steals here and there, Sheed and Tay scoring at least 15 pts each, 15 rebounds combined, a few steals and blocks here and there.

Watch out for CB to play huge in this game. After knowing that he won't be MVP, he'll have a statement game, esp he did not do much scoring in the 1st game. In addition he was below his assist average.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!
  12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

So what happens if Rip struggles to guard Redd on that ankle and can't even get his own offense going? Does Flip go to Delk early and often? Delfino? Mo? And if Rip has to sit out, does Tayshaun play 48 minutes at SF? This game will be interesting to see how the Rip thing plays out alone..
  13. roscoe36

Are you going to pick a score FP?

I say 97-91 PISTONES!
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

pistons 102-81. but i hate predicting and possibly jinxin
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

109-93 pistons.
  16. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

Pistons 106 - Bucks 91 :eyebrows:
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

105-79...check out www.jsonline.com for great columnists telling Bucks to quit whining. I told yall I'd lived there 2 years and Buck writers dont play. I'm getting beered up, so 'OPEN !!!!THE LOUNGE-lounge-lounge...."
  18. roscoe36

CHAT IS OPEN!!!

See y'all around 7:30 ish
  19. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

lol...yeah i'm here now -- if the economy there was better, I'd move back to Detroit, but I'll have to bide my time here for now. The writers are pretty good here--and funny.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I miss them...I even like the Bucks announcers with johnny Mac as analyst!:laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.