Rotations

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He has played many games since then where he helped win the game. Go look at the writeups in the events thread. Its all there.
  2. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

That´s a very unfair statistic. He´s just now having some rythm. You cant just put in a guy and pretend he can take over a game with 3 pointers. Give him time, give him rythm, and the results will vary for the better.

You can really tell when a guy needs play time. When your players are used to a practice rythm for a long time and then they suddenly go to a game, if you pay attention, you´ll see they are slower than usual. That happens also in soccer, when specially the passes are slower. In basketball also happens, and as it is a sport in which you rely in your whole body, you can tell the slowness in the fakes, dribbles and jumps, and, of course you can also see it when the ball doesnt go in.

Im just saying that the guy really needs game time, he´s been in the bench for the past two years dude, its hard to suddenly get out of the quicksands. Herrmann can really deliver it. Maybe right now it is not the momento for trying him (because this deep in the season you shouldnt be "trying things", really), but definitely he should be a regular option.

And he has an excellent fingerroll, lol.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He really does. One nice upside of Walter playing is that you are back around posting!
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying he's a terrible shooter and I'm sure that he would shoot better if his minutes were consistent. I was just replying to another poster who was arguing that he was successfully spreading the floor.

And in 19 out of his last 20 games, had had either 0 or 1 made 3-pointer. So my point is that I doubt other teams are constructing their game plans around him.
  5. Syg

Syg First Round Draft Pick

Oh, ok, that makes sense, I agree. Anyways I wanted to post that because it is so true, you cant keep a guy just in practices. It will show in his game, and that sucks.

Yeah man, tough times here ´round Miami. Specially if you work, study film and enroll yourself in a workshop. Omg. Thanks for remembering me, tho (Y).
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to restate history. Once upon a time, on a very bad team, Herrmann got a whole lot of playing time in the last 1/4th season for Charlotte. And Herrmann flat out tore the nets up. About 60% on threes, while scoring just under 20 points per game.

What did Charlotte do about all that fine shooting? They did not play him to start the next season and let him go as trade filler. Because he plays no defense.

And I say that if even one of the worst teams in the association won't keep the guy, then neither should we - even if he did start making shots. His defense is not NBA acceptable - indeed, in many cases, non-existent since he does not even catch up to the play.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start Bynum, Afflalo, Sharpe, Amir, Sheed.

Bench: Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Kwame.

Dyess plays only if needed for foul trouble, or if another shooter is needed in the 2nd unit, in which case he could take some of Kwame's minutes.
  8. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

Here you go again, if and that's a big if, we are to get anywhere in this series we have to win our two home games. To do that we have to play our starters, save your team for NBA Live 09.

And get off Sharpe please, is he related to you or something? He hasn't played this series "Coach's decision", what will the coach base his elevation into the starting lineup around? Good towel waving!??!

As for Dyess, he has shot better than most Pistons in this series and he tries to mix it up at least.

The fact is whoever is on the floor they need to be more competitive in the first half, keep it tight, we dig a big hole and then have to fight out of it only to run out of legs down the stretch.

There is no magic solution, just a lot of hard work.

BB4L
  9. max

max All-Star

Rip has been having a half way decent post-season. What can Sharpe bring.

start - Bynum, Rip, Afflalo, Kwame, Amir
    bench - Stuckey, Tay, Sheed, Maxiel, Dyess, Herman.

Reason being. Prince has been too banged up to be effective. Same with Sheed. Starting Bynum, Kwame would throw them a loop that may be good for a few extra points.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He has, in what way?
  11. max

max All-Star

Look up the stats. Not great but much better than most.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rip through 2 playoff games:

2nd in FTA's
    2nd is assists
    1st in steals
    2nd in blocks
    2nd in points
    1st in minutes
    1st in turnovers (most)
    3rd in age

* has 0 rebounds.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is nothing wrong with trying the rotation you list here. Except you know I don't like Herrmann any. (And actually, you list 6 bench players, so I don't really know exactly what your 2nd unit would look like.

But lets talk about Rip. He is minus 49 in this series so far, which is worse than any other Piston. Remember that groin tear? I doubt it has healed. Afflalo, in contrast, is plus 13 so far. His perimeter defense is exceptional, I know he is healthy, and right now, I'd take a scoring attempt from him, knowing he is for sure healthy, vs. Rip.

What can Sharpe do. For one, he is perhaps the quickest player on our team. Hard to believe with guys like Bynum, Stuckey, and Amir around I know. But he is darn quick. And tall. Worst case, Bron manages to get the guy fouled out of the game in the first 6 minutes. So what. Thats 6 minutes Bron is contending with a very quick, very tall defender. Then let the next guy take his chances after Bron is worn down a tad. Best case? I have not seen anything all that wrong with Sharpe's footwork the little time I have had to study the guy. He just might be able to slow Bron down some. And if he can, wow, that leaves Afflalo and Bynum completely free to terrorize the Cleveland guards. Amir can easily shutdown Mophead, and Sheed can just concentrate on Big Z.

Or maybe Sharpe does need some help on Bron. (Most likely). So we help him. We would be out there with a ton of team speed for doing so. And when someone rotates to help Sharpe out on Bron, Sharpe can defensively rotate to the resulting open shooter. Thats one thing I have seen Sharpe use the speed for very well indeed.

Now, lets talk transition D. Amir is the best on our team at that. Sharpe, in his little time he has played, has shown to be right there with Amir on this. Sharpe brings great speed and quickness, with enough size to play power forward. In other words, the ideal transition defender - and I am proposing a starting unit with two of the best transition defenders in there.

Now, of course, Sharpe's biggest claim to fame supposedly is his offense. We have seen almost none of it. His shots all miss from the outsdie. But he has hardly taken any and you really can't expect him to be knocking them down. We have seen Sharpe make about 3 exceptional drives to the basket this year. Just 3. But we know he can do it. He drives in with exceptional handles, exceptional quickness, and excellent finishes.

So what can Sharpe do? Lets find out. Tay is still my favorite player, but he is injured right now, and its time to give the next guy a shot at some playing time.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm down for starting Bynum, Afflalo, Sharpe, Amir, and Kwame. Screw it.
  15. max

max All-Star

If you want to play on numbers then you must know that Rip has been playing the bulk of his mins with Sheed and Dyess both in. So far Rip is avg 15 PPG with 4 assists. I did not say he was having a great or even good series - half way decent.

I don't know if we can get enough offense going without Rip.

Yes tay seems to be too hurt to play. AA has been the best defender on Lebran so why not just start him at SF? Sharpe is an unknown quantity.

Probably would not hurt to see what Sharpe can do off the bench. He is not going to make anything worse.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The coach being Curry, I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see just two out of those 5 in the SL.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it was Bynum that said that he wants to play in the Summer League this year, even though Joe D told him it wasn't necessary.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons are going to be super rested for this years sumer league.

Amir has got to be approaching some type of record if he plays again. Won't this be his 5th appearance? He's like the Robert Parish of this thing.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Amir has a summer home in Las Vegas.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

He lives in Low's basement.