Rotations - Part Trois

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jul 7, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This is the one that I like.
    I think Chauncey can slide to backup PG in certain situations when the team needs some poise and direction.
    Hopefully Pizza Guy can contribute at SF as an outside bombing bench compliment to the inside bombing of Mitch.

This feeling I have about this team is kinda similar to the feeling I had about those early Rick Carlisle teams.
    I'm excited man!
    These guys are gonna be very fun to watch!
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Singler will be in the top 10. He started 74 out of the 82 games last season. He won't just fall completely out.
    The Panda likes this.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Billups played shooting guard because the starting point guard was Chris Paul. Chauncey is not sliding to shooting guard for Brandon Knight, Stuckey, Bynum or Siva.
    Laimbrane and KGREG like this.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AREN'T YOU GUYS FORGETTING SOMEONE?
    [​IMG]
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is the "wishful thinking" rotation and then there is the "reality" rotation. That ugly mug represents the latter.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That picture is BIG!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Here's Mo's equation to solve that story problem:

(3)=DNPCD x 82
    coynejeremy likes this.
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

In reality, the rotation will probably look something like this:

Billups/Stuckey/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. Strong defensively, weak on the perimeter.

At about the 6 minute mark, where the score will be something like 8-6, you'll see Knight sub in for Billups, Pope in for Stuckey, Singler in for Drummond, and Smith and Monroe slide up.
    Knight/Pope/Singler/Smith/Monroe. Good offensive squad, mediocre defensively.

At the 10 minute mark, Drummond returns for Monroe, Bynum comes in for Pope, Knight slides to the 2. Bynum/Knight/Singler/Smith/Drummond. Balanced, effective offensively.

At the end of the first, Pope comes in for Knight, Luigi comes in for Singler, and CV comes in for Smith.
    Bynum/Pope/Luigi/CV/Drummond ends up being their most effective unit. They play all of two minutes together.

At the 2 minute mark of the second quarter, Monroe slides back in for Luigi
    Bynum/Pope/CV/Monroe/Drummond. Solid offensively, relies heavily on Drummond inside. Will have great results playing against inferior competition.

At the 4 minute mark, Knight comes back in for Bynum, Singler comes in for CV, Mitchell in for Drummond
    Knight/Pope/Singler/Mitchell/Monroe. This group better shoot from the outside because they're not going to stop much.

At the 6 minute mark, Smith returns for Monroe, Stuckey in for Pope.
    Knight/Stuckey/Luigi/Smith/Mitchell. Luigi necessary for spacing purposes, because Stuckey, Smith, and Mitchell are going to live in the lane. Average defensively.

At the 8 minute mark, Billups comes in for Knight, Monroe returns for Luigi, and Drummond returns for Mitchell. This unit finishes the half.
    Billups/Stuckey/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. Starters.

Repeat in the second half, adjusting depending on who's playing well.

Minutes per game:
    Billups: 20
    Stuckey: 24
    Knight: 20
    Bynum: 12
    Pope: 20
    Singler: 16
    Luigi: 8
    Smith: 36
    Monroe: 36
    Mitchell: 8
    Drummond: 32
    CV: 8
    Krav: DNP
    Middleton: DNP
    Jerebko: DNP
  9. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No way Billups starts. Pass on Burke not b/c believe in B Kinght, but to re-sign Billups.
  10. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I also don't think you get 12 guys into every game. Just doesn't happen unless its a blow out.
  11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wonder why nobody don't like me, the reason there is I'm so ugly . . .
    BillLaimbeer, BallDon'tLie and TaS like this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nice work on the rotation, but you left out Siva. Do you know something about him not being on the squad this year?
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

New day. See if I can think of any new rotations. Probably not, but hey, I will give it a try.

Stuckey driving in to start the game, for the purpose of softening up the interior D by causing foul trouble. Middleton along side him to do the same, and spread the floor a bit. Datome starts at small forward, to spread the floor some. Drummond and Smith start as our bigs. Drummond is in there for his tendency to get fouled. Now, that will lessen as his free throw shooting improves - which seems to be the case from the form we saw in the summer league from him at the line. Smith too, is in there to mix it up on the rebounding, hopefully drawing more fouls from their bigs.

So, thats Stuckey, Middleton, Datome, Smith, Drummond to start games.

Smith stays on for the 2nd unit. By this time, if things are going right, the interior D of the opposing team should be soft from being in foul trouble. Monroe comes in to work the post now, with a bit more room to operate in than usual. Smith is also working the post some. Ditto for Mitchell who comes in as the small forward.

The backcourt now just needs to help spread the floor, and to get the ball into the post. Knight and Pope should do for that.

So, 2nd unit: Knight, Pope, Mitchell, Smith, Monroe.

So Smith plays the first 16 minutes of the first half, and the first 14 minutes of the 2nd half. Plus the last 5 minutes of the game, for a total of 35 minutes.

To end the 2nd quarter, since Smith is not returning to keep his minutes down, we use:

Billups, Middleton, Datome, Monroe, Drummond.

Note, Monroe is not starting, but he plays a full 16 minutes in each half, coming in at the 8 minute mark of the first and 3rd quarters and staying in to the end of each half.

This last unit, 3 solid three point shooters to spread the floor, leaving Monroe and Drummond to play a two man game down low. With both of our bigs being solid passers, good luck with any team finding two bigs who can combine to stop our two bigs. And look for Middleton to very often cut to the basket for scores.

In all, you start by getting them into foul trouble inside, and then, you keep that inside pressure the rest of each half by having our best postup guy, Monroe, post up play after play. With Drummond, mostly, being there looking for a dump off pass for dunks. Sure, and Drummond will post up too, but he will do more of this to start games when Monroe is not out there.

The above leaves out Siva, who could simply be called on late in games if we are already up, to play D and run the offense efficiently. (So Billups would not play if Siva was out there instead.)

This leaves out both Singler and JJ. Two guys that are slow on D.

This leaves out CV, who is not needed for his outside shooting so much, since we always would have quite a bit of outside shooting with the above rotations, and never a slouch defensively playing for us on our front line. (No, I have not seen Datome play, but I understand he is not bad on D, we shall see.)

And it leaves out Bynum, who plays poor D, and does not run the point effectively to where it builds up, or keeps, team cohesiveness.

Forgot to add, the last five minutes of game: Billups, (hottest shooter of the night from Pope, Datome, or Middleton at shooting guard.), Smith, Monroe, Drummond.
    CarlosGallan and roscoe36 like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

There is not even an outside chance that Monroe doesn't start.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

first NBA games - familiar pairings - drummond/monroe and knight/stuckey and smith somewhere between them. Later...that depends on previous results.
  16. The Panda

The opening line-up, assuming there are no more major roster changes between now and opening tip off, will be this:

Brandon Knight
    Rodney Stuckey
    Kyle Singler
    Josh Smith
    Greg Monroe.

Josh Smith is starting. Greg Monroe is starting. Brandon Knight is starting.

Chauncey Billups won't, and neither will KCP. Luigi Datome will not be starting either.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't get too hung up on one rotation. Rather, try to take ideas from it, to trigger your own. I will post a myriad of rotations, just my way of pondering what combinations might produce wins for us. I don't care for one moment who starts by the way. As long as we get wins. Its the combinations of players, combos that hopefully have all you need to have a properly functioning unit, that matters. Now, for your specific comment. Why should Monroe start? What does he do, as a starter, shoot outside shots? Nope. Hopefully not. We should have better shooters take outside shots, preferably 3 pointers. Does he post up? How can he if he does not have enough shooters on the floor to spread their defense. Can Monroe score if the lane is packed. Would it not be packed if you started a front line of Smith, Drummond, and Monroe? So if Monroe must start, I suppose you believe a lot of other stuff, like Drummond has to start, or Smith must start - well, I could guess that one. Having too many "must" s can sink us. Lets use what works, not what we "have" to do.

The above rotation was about opening up the floor for Monroe by getting their front line in foul trouble before Monroe enters the game. Any thoughts on that. PS, Monroe still gets starters minutes in this rotation, and he does play in crunch time.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I could see Cheeks not starting Stuckey in order to set his expectations properly. I could also see him not start Pope to make him earn it, etc. Billups might get the nod with the whisper that he'll get limited minutes and hopefully lose it to Pope later this year.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is a free for all thread where people propose different lineup and rotation combinations. It's not meant to be a super serious look at the actual rotations, but maybe a different spin, maybe a bit of wishful thinking, a bit of second guessing (of the coach).

What I am getting at, is that you're going to see some "interesting" rotations in this thread. Consider yourself forewarned. :cheeky-smiley-012:
    The Panda likes this.
  20. The Panda

He will start because he is the most talented player aside from Smoove that we can put on the floor. He adds another passing option from the high and low post.

Just remember, you don't need 3pt shooters to spread a defense. Mid range is fine, you are just trying to mitigate a help defense system.

Right. Then let me propose what I am going to call the ON/OFF Pistons. All defense v All Offense.

Offense:
    Bynum
    KCPope
    Datome
    Villenueva
    Monroe

Defense:
    Knight
    Middleton
    Mitchell
    Smith
    Drummond