Rotations - Part Trois

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Again, refer to my post in the Stats lab to show how much better Bynum is when Drummond is on the court. He had the highest eFG of all the guards on the team last year. He may not be a great defender, but with that front line it may not be a huge issue.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Bynum had Brandon Knight's neck, he'd be 6'4".
    linwood likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Bynum is a great player, sure, but he isn't a starter. He is best at changing the tempo off the bench, and he does that job extremely effectively. It is also something that we need.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Will did seem to perform better the more minutes that he was given.

In his top 10 games last season (in terms of minutes played), here is what his per/36 min stats looked like:

23.3 points (on .544 shooting)
    7.7 assists
    2.7 turnovers

There is surely a correlation between high minutes and good play however (i.e. if he had it going, the coach kept him in and he was struggling, he went to the bench).
    The Panda and Nemo like this.
  5. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Smith and Bynum has been my desk top collection for many years among a few other players. For players I loved, I always neglect their shortage. :-)
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I have waaaaaay more confidence in Will Bynum at PG than Brandon Knight; but I'm sure most of you all already knew that.
    brofmfa, Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And now, he's backed. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah !
    Nemo likes this.
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

So... with the last couple days....

We today stand at

PG
    Knight, Bynum, Silva (not signed yet)

SG
    Stuckey, Pope, English

SF
    Smith, Luigi Datome, Singler, Middleton

PF
    Monroe, Mitchell, JJ, CV

C
    Drummond, Krav

We probably need a vet at PG... if either Knight or Bynum go down does anybody feel ok with Silva running the team?

At SG we still have a hole unless Pope is ready to start, Personally would say bye bye to English and trade Stuckey for a bag of popcorn for Joe.

SF looks overloaded but I'd play Singler some at the 2 and Smith is going to eat mins at the 4.

PF is strong and not sure if there are enough mins to get JJ in to the rotation, goes without saying CV needs to go....

C... wouldn't hurt to trade some of our unwanted bits and bring back a vet who can be insurance...

16 folks if we sign Silva...

I'd rather see a vet as the third PG and send Silva overseas to get some seasoning. I'd not pick up English's contract. Trade JJ CV and Stuckey so we can bring in a 4/5 vet to be insurance.

So my rotation would be

PG Knight/Bynum
    SG FA/Pope
    SF Smith/Luigi/Mitchell
    PF Monroe/Smith/Mitchell
    C Drummon/Monroe

Bench not playing regular mins Singler, Middleton, FA PG

Suit duty FA 4/5

Start the season with 13 in MY ideal world..... all this and a dollar will get me a small mountain dew :D
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Walter like this.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think we need to sign another PG. Let Knight/Bynum/Siva handle the PG duties.
    With these guys on the roster, I see Singler purely as an SG backup.
    Have Luigi and Middleton share the backup SF job.
    We are set in the front court with Smith-Dre-Moose rotation with Mitchell and Slava.

JJ and CV are the odd men out. If Joe can turn JJ, CV, Stuckey and Singler/English into a legitimate NBA SG, it would be the best outcome for this offseason.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Clearly we need an upgrade at PG, but if it's not a move to get a BIG TIME PG, I'm OK with giving BK a shot this year. I'd like to see us add Nick Young at SG. I think there's still about $3M in cap space left so it may be a possibility, although I think he's best suited for OKC.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think Stuckey would probably be more effective at PG at this point in time than Siva. Hope I'm wrong, but in a meaningful game, I bet he's 3rd on the depth chart.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I really think Silva needs some time playing somewhere, a year in Europe would do him wonders... If he signs with Detroit I hope we have 4 pg's with him and he spends the whole season in the D League
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. No real reason for him to sit on the bench for all non GT situations this year. We don't need him and we're unlikely to develop him. It would be better for us to have a veteran near retirement that could easily fill in in a pinch and teach the guys ahead of him some tricks of the trade. D-League seems perfect with some occasional short stints on the team.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey or Siva?
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like Siva's spirit, but he has a LONG way to go before he is NBA-ready. I agree about D-League or Europe for him. Unless Joe D makes a move, Siva may not even make the 15-man roster.
  16. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

I like Siva and I think you all know that. I have seen more PG out of him than Stuckey ever will be. I hope he makes it and sticks with the team. He just knows how to deliver dimes in traffic to the open man.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Is there a tempo? Perhaps we have lost a bit of history. For me, I think that Kwame Brown, when we had him, was our high end momentum changer. I think history took a sharp right turn on us, when we failed to connect that generational twist of bad luck: Kwame Brown and CV playing together.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

After watching English miss a ton of shots in a summer league game, and after we just signed another shooter, Luigi "Gigi" Datome at small forward, time for another rotation.

Knight, Middleton, Smith, Monroe, Drummond start. Why Middleton - he looks pretty smooth handling the ball, more of a chance of the ball getting to our front court for dunks with him in.

2nd unit: Stuckey, Pope, Gigi, Smith moved to power forward, Monroe to center. Later Mitchel comes in for Smith, and Drummond spells Monroe.

Crunch time comes. On offense - go with Knight, Pope, Middleton, Smith, Monroe. Defense? Go big with Knight at point, Tony Michell at shooting guard (the 6-6 one that played for Boston today), Tony Mitchel at small forward (the 6-9 one that led our summer league team in rebounding against Boston), Smith at power forward, Drummond at center.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

In a sense, you might be telling us that only A's know they're B's, but only Y's knows their Z's.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I love Kenny's attitude but the dude's not having a good OSL.

Siva needs a ton of work but he might be the best current Piston at the simple task of getting the ball to our big men.
    He's good at entry passes and has an excellent drive & dish game.