Rotations - Part Trois

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Jul 7, 2013.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stop disrespecting Ham Slamwich.
    linwood likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Seems like a very realistic rotation.

I'm really interested in seeing Mitchell get some minutes, but they will probably be extremely limited for a while.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh man! You are right. I would like to replace Curry with Ham.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    coynejeremy likes this.
  4. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Minutes will be hard to come by early, but he'll have a shot at 15 minutes per as soon as any one of our top three bigs gets hurt.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

At the moment, yes. English could get better of course. Mejia is now a very well rounded player, and really, with no experience at all I still like him better than the best I have seen from English so far. Mejia's first instinct with the ball is crash it to the rack, and draw the foul. English is a shooter. I like both of them.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not to criticize, just my thoughts on this rotation. You have 16 minutes of leaderless basketball with Bynum. Meanwhile, Billups seems to strongly want some point guard minutes. My guess, if Billups is half healthy, he is the guy we want to keep our offense organized while Jennings sits.

Backup shooting guard. We simply don't have one. Billups really does not want the job, and I would guess that what he has left in the tank will serve us a lot better at 16 minutes a game at point vs. shooting guard. So, we need to get a shooting guard. For certain, we can't use Stuckey as a shooting guard. He is worthless with the ball not in his hands. I see Stuckey as a good solid 3rd string point guard though, one who will actually play some minutes since I don't see Billups staying that healthy all season long.

Starting shooting guard we agree on. Pope. Starting point, we obviously agree on. Jennings.

Small forward. Most assume Smith will start there. I believe we would be a better team though if we started Smith at power forward, and had Monroe and Drummond take turns starting willy nilly. The main thing, only the likes of Drummond, Smith, and Monroe will see time on at our bigs positions. You got 96 minutes to split at power forward / center, and since Drummond is only good for about 26, it leaves 30 each for Smith and Monroe. Neither should get too tired at that rate.

So who do we start at small forward? 6-9 Tony Mitchell.Not ideal at all. But he will rebound the daylights out as a small forward and give us a very solid front line defense. A starting front line of Mitchell, Smith, and Drummond will be needed apparently to clean up from our new starting point guards somewhat poor defense.

Backup small forward. Not on the roster yet. Sure, a guy like Pope could play there, but I say let him stay at shooting guard where he can use his decent height to give us a mismatch more often than not. Datome is too slow. JJ, too slow. Singler, too slow.

So in all, Dumars has to come up with two more players. A legit shooting guard. (and I would try a guy like Mejia or English before going and spending a lot of money on one.) And some young kid who can do the job defensively for us for the minutes Tony Mitchell sits. (And I kind of like former Alabama player, 6-6 Tony Mitchell, for that.)

In all, we should keep it to just two players who are not really, really good on D. Our starting point guard. And Billups, our backup point guard. One poor player on the floor at a time on D can be covered.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Could the Pistons get away with playing Meija and English together at the 3 and 2? (That's like asking if the Bulls could get away with playing Jordan and Pippen together.).

That would be a heck of a defensive tandem with a dangerous offensive game.

Sent from my iPhone using the keyboard.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Rod Stuckey's first, second, third, and fourth instinct with the ball is crash it to the rack and draw the foul. But you didn't even put him in the rotation.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

NO. I like Stuckey, but he did not get to the foul line too much last season. (If he did get to the foul line more, hey, we probably never would have needed to draft Knight)
    linwood likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, so if Dumars feels he has to go into the season as the roster currently is, an wait for the trade deadline to see what he can pick up with the expirings of CV and Stuckey, maybe we can come up with a half way decent rotation with what we have.

Having not seen Datome play, but yet hearing that even a few years back his lateral quickness was not of NBA quality, I don't want to include him here. But heck, why not for now. Just maybe he can play. I will keep an open mind.

But Singler, hey, even with last year's squad, we managed to win a few games with him at shooting guard. And I will include Stuckey as he is better than many on the roster.

Start:

Jennings, Singler, Datome, Smith, Drummond.

2nd unit:

Stuckey, Billups, Pope, Mitchell, Monroe

Lots of problems with this rotation. But with what little we have to work with at present, there it is.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When did lateral quickness officially replace bloodflow as the official PF meme?
    linwood likes this.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I lol'd.
    linwood likes this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to defend this rotation a bit though.:

One, it keeps Smith at his preferred position of power forward for all of his minutes.

Two, You always have either Smith, or Monroe on the floor for a post up game.

Three, both units have some ability to shoot the ball, giving the post up guy some room.

Four, although the front lines are not the best defensively, the talent there is spread out evenly between the two units. At least we should never at any point have a layup line going for the other team.

Five, Billups and Stuckey have played together in the past. They should be able to work out something as to where the ball is primarily in Billups hands, but in Stuckey's enough to let him do his thing too. (and let Billups on occasion knock down a three pointer from an outlet pass.)

Six, both units have fast break ability.

Seven, I got Singler starting, not Pope. That is because we need Pope to help shore up the defense with a slower Billups in, and of course, a lost in the picks Stuckey.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know I meant an open mind until I watched 30 seconds of game film on the guy in frame by frame.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I see that you still refuse to include Bynum in your lineup. It was hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want the Bynumite-Drummond combo on the floor. Last season they were probably the most effective duo to see playing time. And then, I figured it out. Sandbagging. Classic Lee, you almost had me there!
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Lee has an agenda against winning....
    linwood likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

My hobby is reviewing game tape. It annoys me no end when in situation after situation, you find Bynum looking up at the action, totally unable to affect the play in any way. This includes watching taller guards just shooting over him as if he were just not in the gym, rebounding situations, and any switches that occur, which makes that mismatch the other team had go from an ant vs. an elephant to gnat vs. a planet. Like what if the other team gets the rebound near their basket? What can Bynum do about it. Just watch, and nothing more. The Pistons do not ever need that to happen this year. Stuckey is not all that bad, and Billups is itching to take the backup point guard minutes.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would 1000 times rather watch Bynum play basketball than sticky. Even in super slow motion, frame by tedious frame.

Just like you can't teach height, you can't teach heart either. Bynum has it. Sticky don't.

If all it takes is being tall to play great defense, then Charley V. should be a much, much better defender than Ben Wallace.

But Bynum doesn't just have heart. He has handles, a decent shot, excellent court vision, high bball IQ, great ups, fantastic speed, and a cheap contract.

Plus, he's best buds with our possible franchise star.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Billups already said that he doesn't want to play 2
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wouldn't expect our PG, whoever he is, to defend the rim against a rebound close to the basket. I would expect that job would be handled by the Center or Forwards.