1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

It would definitely solve the "who's gonna guard LeBron" problem.

Nemo likes this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, so we added Harrelson, someone with size at least, to play center. A knack for rebounding if anything. Sure would love to have a scouting report from people who saw him play in the China league. Anyway, with this guy, that gives us just one player shy of being able to have two decent units, one to start, one to be a complete bench group. For now, I will count Datome and Harrellson as good enough to be in our rotation. That group now includes, very loosely)

Jennings, Billups, Stuckey, Siva, Pope, Datome, Smith, Mitchell, Monroe, Drummond, Harrellson.

Who we should replace on the roster) Bynum, JJ, Singler, CV

Point guard is set if Billups is healthy. If he is not, and Siva can't play enough offense, we got Stuckey for a fall back. Remember, as bad as Stuckey played last year, there was a major order of difference in Stuckey's effectiveness depending on which position he was asked to play. Point gaurd is a vastly better position for him. As long as we never play him there, he could be ok for us. While hoping Billups still is that good, and injury free, that we won't need Stuckey.

Shooting guard. Again, someone told me Datome could possibly be called upon as a backup shooting guard. Considering Billups is really not interested in being our backup shooting guard, and Stuckey and Bynum are pure disasters at that position, we just might have to use him there. The article about the signing of Harrelson that I read said the players are set for camp now. But hey, we really, truly need another guy to backup Pope at shooting guard. I hope Dumars is looking diligently, rather than planning on forcing his new coach to play guys out of position and causing losses.

Small forward, no problem if Datome is good enough to play NBA defense at that position. If not, maybe Mitchell can backup Smith there. And if Harrelson is any good, hey, maybe that works. Maybe. A lot of maybes. Giving good players away like Daye and Middleton certainly is not leaving us looking too good at the wings position. Not to mention releasing English.

Power forward. We keep piling up on power forwards. Smith, we got a home for as starting small forward. Mithchell maybe backup small forward. Harrellson now maybe as the backup center. And hopefully, CV out of the rotation. And Monroe, our starter.

Center, we got Drummond. Monroe when he sits, and now Harrellson maybe.

I won't do a whole rotation, as I feel we are wing player short for that. Here is the closest I can get so far to a decent two - separate - squad rotation.

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

2nd unit: Billups, (new guy not on the team yet.), Datome, Mitchell, Harrelson.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I can't give you a scouting report from China, but I can tell you how he played for three seasons at Kentucky. Started out as a bench player. Ended as a bench player with a few starts. By his senior year, he was a good hustle player, and solid rebounder, who would get a block or two each game. Became a bit of a fan favorite. Solid college bench player on teams loaded with future NBA players.

I doubt he will become a big part of the rotation. In fact, I would be surprised if he sees much time on the court at all. I do think he will be a big dude who knows how to box out for Drummond and Monroe to practice against.

Probably won't give anyone the finger.

J-Train likes this.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Another thing about our new guy Josh Harrellson:

He earned the nickname JORTS (jean shorts) while at UK. Fans loved him for it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Joe will let Bup Bup end his career with more dignity than that.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons are going to do something this year then they'll need both Monroe and Drummond to take major steps forward defending guys 1 on 1. Aside from Smith, who I feel is limited against true 4's like Bosh or Aldridge, they have no one who can cover big guys.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'll add that in his senior year he led the SEC in rebounding with 8.8 per game. Not bad for a guy who never so much as dribbled a ball prior to 9th grade. Based on his college career, who would have pegged him to be the MVP of the China Basketball Association. Anyone got any comparisons of any other players who have held that title. And just how good / bad is the talent in that league? 20 and 18 sure sounds impressive enough.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This article says you have to be Chinese to win the MVP. Maybe they changed the rule.

Ballislife.com: Marbury Wins Championship but Not MVP because He's Not Chinese

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The talent level in foreign, non-European leagues is depressingly low. IIRC, Darvin Ham was a superstar in Philippine basketball.

10. BillLaimbeer

Darvin Ham has been a superstar wherever he has gone...

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My first laugh of the day. You've been a great friend for many years. :)

kpaav and BillLaimbeer like this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  13. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Well I was excited when Darvin Ham came here to play in 2006. But the guy played a total of 3 games, his team got eliminated in the quarterfinals. Most of time he looked bored and lethargic.

Maybe the superstar you're referring to is V-Macklin. He played here earlier this year, had averages of something like 20/15/2, and towed his underdog team to the finals (but lost). So yeah, Harrellson would be a superstar here :cheerleader:

brofmfa, BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

He certainly showed tremendous improvement over his college career. Not sure how much that matters, since he didn't stick with the Knicks and ended up back in China.

As far as the level of talent in the Chinese league goes, think of the great talent from China that has ended up in the NBA. There's Yao Ming and.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

That is cool that we get a first-hand response from a Pistons fan in the Philippines. This forum rocks!

roscoe36, raw36 and linwood like this.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Are you a fan of the Petron Blaze Boosters?

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

No, but my wife is =D

How did you come to know about the Petron team? Just curious.

roscoe36 likes this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I know about the Blaze Boosters because that is where former Piston Legend Rodney White is playing. Also, I know a little bit about the league, because out here in Seattle there is a pretty sizeable Filipino population. It's pretty hard to watch the games, but I have been able to catch a few. The little bit I've seen, the PBA is a little Rucker's Park, a little And1, and a little NBA. Pretty entertaining!

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'd still pick up Macklin. Drop CV. Better roster.

raw36 likes this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

If you pick up Macklin, then there is no spot for Sammy Mejia...

brofmfa, roscoe36 and linwood like this.