Rotations, part... Joe D: Jennings isn't guaranteed a starter job

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 7, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What is the opposite of winning regular season games?

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

An agenda against losing.

kpaav likes this.
  3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was going to say Brian Hill.

Ernie the Slow Adult and kpaav like this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What seems popular demand is to start: Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

For a second unit, that leaves Billups at point. Good Luck at shooting guard. Datome, JJ, or Singler at small forward. Mitchell at power forward. Harrellson at center. Very imbalanced team really after the starting unit.

Really, I'd only take Billups, for now, and Mitchell from the pool of guys fighting for backup spots and otherwise clean house there.

No more Bynum, Singler, JJ, CV, Harrellson, Siva, Stuckey, nor Datome. And Billups being on a team that is rebuilding is a stretch. Sure, he might still have talent. But maybe a year or two left for him. He is not part of the future, so I say look to replace him. Now.

Of what we have in that last paragraph, only Stuckey and CV can get us anything in trade, and that only due to their expiring contracts. I say we need to trade the two and get 3 decent players in return. Leaving us with a nine man rotation.

Nine man rotation: Our starters, plus Mitchell, and 3 guys we get in trade. I will just mention what we need for those 3 for now. One, a point guard who can play D, run a play, and knock down a three on occasion. Of these 3 things, playing defense and running plays are the most important, so you might say why not Siva. Siva can't shoot the ball. Could he learn. Can't say, but if he can't real soon we don't need him playing for us if our goal is to win games.

Next we need another shooting guard. We just gave two away that would have done just fine, English and Middleton. (Note, to keep the group of guys that we need to unload.)

Next, we need a small forward. Daye would do just fine here. But we gave him away in the cap move unloading Prince.

We can get by just fine using the group of Smith, Mitchell, Monroe, and Drummond for two bigs spot. Both Mitchell and Smith of course can play some small forward.

Now, I am not saying we should get exactly Daye, Middleton, English. Just saying, if we had those three still on the team, and not the ones we need to unload, we would be a better team. And just for completeness, lets say we keep Billups for now, and someone thinks Siva can learn to shoot the ball while serving time in the D league. For now, I'll list a rotation based on these players. You substitute in other players for Daye, English, and Middleton.

Starters: Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

2nd unit: Billups, Middleton, Daye, Mitchell, (Drummond or Monroe)

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just watched that streamed open practice from the Pistons website. Bynum was having his way with everybody, even with Drummond on D. He's a savant.

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Bynum is a Boss.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Bynum is a Gnat.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

With Monroe maybe missing the next one with a hamstring problem, and Datome out too. (and Siva), here is a possible rotation for next game. (Vs. the Israeli team Tuesday night, at the Palace.)

Ok, if 3 guys out, the 12 dressed would be: Jennings, Billups, Stuckey, Bynum, Pope, Singler, JJ, Mitchell, Smith, CV, Harrellson, Drummond.

Start Jennings, Pope, Mitchell, Smith, Drummond.

Here, Jennings has three very athletic guys on the front line to get passes to for dunks. Better defensively on the front line vs. if Monroe was playing. Now, don't get me wrong, Monroe is becoming quite the scoring machine, but we just not might not miss him much with Mitchell being the guy to step in for him. And of course, if Pope gets the start, a whole lot of fans will start liking the new coach a whole lot.

Second unit: Stuckey at point, Billups at 2 guard. No Billups does not get to handle the ball. Just play 2 guard. Spot up. When they look away for a moment, go down low and post up and terrorize a guard. Keep the ball in Stuckey's hands as much as possible to make Stuckey as effective as possible. Sorry Billups, its not all about you. Play the role of a shooting guard well, and you will best help this team.

Front line for the 2nd unit. Harrellson will get to play. Singler will play some small forward. Maybe a typical unit seen mid 2nd quarter looks like this:

Stuckey, Billups, Singler, Mitchell, Harrellson.

9. BillLaimbeer

The Israeli team will wish they never even showed up.

linwood and kpaav like this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Is this game streamed online somewhere (legally)?

11. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

(or illegally) :behindsofa:

12. BillLaimbeer

I believe it's on MTV (Maccabi TeleVision).

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Walter likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Josh Smith has to be loving his status as 3rd biggest player on the floor for us.

Drummond seems like he's sort of dominating based on the box. +38?

15. BillLaimbeer

Smith is 3-for-4 for 3-point land.

Drummond's +38 is in only 24 minutes. Add 17 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 blocked shots.

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The 3's are promising but his career % is not in favour of maintaining that. We shall see.

None of the SG options did themselves any favours. KCP 1-12, Stuckey 1-6, Billups 0-4. Ouch.

Jonas and Bynum in the doghouse.

Former NBA player Donta Smith with the barebones triple double! Sign him up Joe. Lee, get that guy in a rotation asap!!

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hmm, not impressed with Bynum getting 28 points and being minus 3 for the game. A lot of the reason was Bynum turning the ball over, or simply not getting the team into plays. He did shoot the ball 16 times himself - pretty typical of Bynum to call his own number, since he simply has only one speed dial button, his.

Here is a rotation that does not have Bynum in it. (nor Stuckey)

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond. (and make us fans ecstatic by doing so. Hey, give us fans what we want - a very young group of starters ready to do damage, and get better and better as the season, and the years pass.)

Bench. Billups Plays 12 minutes in each half, from 4 minutes to go in the first quarter until 4 minutes left in the game. And sure, if it comes down to needing a last 2nd shot made, Billups can be right back in there to end the game too. So maybe, on average, 26 minutes for Billups per each tight, nailbiter type game. In each half, Billups subs for Jennings for 6 minutes, and for Pope for 6 minutes. (and maybe Pope for the last two minutes of the game if we need a steady shooter for those two minutes.)

Bigs. So far, I can't see playing Harrellson due to his lack of speed on D. Meanwhile, I can't for the life of me see the drawback to Smith playing the 3. Smith seems to be able to hit outside shots just fine if left open, while as a a small forward he presents a nightmare matchup for the opposing small forward. The other team might be dealing with this by putting their center on Smith, leaving their small forward to check Drummond. Hmm, a small forward, trying to stop Drummond from catching an alley oop pass and slamming it in. I like our odds there. I say just play Smith 36 to 40 minutes per game at small forward, which is kind of like letting him rest since he does not have to contend with the physical pounding that playing power forward entails. For backup to Smith, play either JJ or Datome, whoever beats the other out for minutes in a fair competition. Now, we are only talking about 14 minutes a game here at most, (lots of blowouts I imagine - yes, I think the Pistons are that good and a lot of GT will get played, immho.)

And for backup at center and power forward? Use Mitchell. Never CV. No defense. Never JJ, no sense at all in playing him against much bigger and stronger players that he just can't contend with. And forgive me if I laugh a lot when Singler is mentioned going to that position. Forget it. Mitchell is plenty of everything you need for a backup at the bigs position. Big, tall, great wingspan, athletic, fast. And supposedly does have an offensive game to boot. I say give him every chance, right now, to see just how good he is.

So thats 3 guys in the backcourt. 2 small forwards. A three bigs rotation. An 8 man rotation. Eight does indeed seem kind of low, but hey, the oldest player out there would be Smith, and he is by no means old. Who is even 25 yet. Not Mitchell. Datome is if I recall. Maybe JJ now. Oh yeah, Billups. Way old. But only counted on to play maybe 22 minutes a game on average. Cause due to a lot of blowouts, I suspect he will often be sitting out 4th quarters.

Lets assume Datome is all that, and beats JJ out for backup small forward minutes.

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond. At 4 minute mark, Billups and Mitchell come in.

Last 4 minutes of 1st & 3rd quarters, and opening 2 minutes of 2nd &4th quarters is:

Jennings, Billups, Smith, Mitchell, Monroe.

From 10 minute mark of 2nd and 4th quarter to 4 minute mark of those quarters:

Billups, Pope, Datome, Mitchell, Drummond.

Last 4 minutes of 2nd and 4th quarters:

Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

For mintues: (roughly) In a somewhat tight game, but not a nail biter - where Billups would play just a bit more.

Jennings 36
    Billups 24
    Pope 36
    Smith 36
    Datome 12
    Monroe 36
    Mitchell 24
    Drummond 36

Now, I would dress, as the other 4 players to round out the 12 man roster for the game, Siva, Singler, JJ, and Harrellson. CV and Bynum I would not keep on the team. Stuckey is injured so I will not mention him for the moment, except to mention his expiring could get us a player since there are teams looking to dump perfectly good players right now as part of a youth movement or whatever. PS, and none of Singler, JJ, Siva, nor Harrellson are really needed on this team either. But hey, right now, there is limited room for good players even to break our rotation. Exception is replacing Billups with someone younger and replacing Datome if he is not all that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  18. BillLaimbeer

You forgot Mejia?

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, I did not forget him. But I was tempted to add him since he is talented enough to handle point guard duties. Since Siva and Stuckey are injured at the moment, and Billups is too old to play very much, Mejia would help.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum -3 as a starter against Lebron James? Unacceptable.

linwood likes this.