Rotations - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It just occurred to me that even if we don't give Daye a qualifying offer and he never signs anywhere else, he still will make over $8M in his NBA career. Being drafted in the 1st round is one hell of a blessing.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

After you subtract expenses (agents, lawyers), taxes, and consider the number of years he invested into playing AAU, $8 million is a lot, but it's not crazy money.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I gotta believe that there's another team out there that will extend his career by signing him to another contract. He's too tall and too talented to not get another shot in the NBA. To me, his problems are exclusively from the neck-up.
    This is precisely the reason that I think Joe needs to make trading Daye for a package that nets us a 2nd round pick a stategic imperitative (without taking back any baggage worse than Daye's contract).
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Plus minus stats don't mean much unless you look at it in the context of who he is on the floor with. I still say, from observation, that the Pistons play better with Daye in vs. other players in most situations. Hard to find all the stats. But the other part of the observation, if you are having Daye shoot just to see if can shoot out of his slump - that really makes his stints look bad. And it seemed to me that coach absolutely did not look for situations where a unit with Daye could succeed.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't the coach's job is to try to find a combination of players that will help the 13th best guy on the roster look good.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if Joe has tried to trade him to the Bobcats yet. Worth a phone call.
  7. BallDon'tLie

I was thinking that Charlotte might be a good situation for the dude to get his head straight.
    ...but hell, Detroit basically WAS that same situation since he's been in the league.

It might just be a matter of having the right coach or reading the right book.
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Here you go: NBA.com: AutoTrader +/- Stat

The only pairings that show up in the top 50 for the Pistons last year:
    Macklin: +9
    Gordon: -9
    Prince: -15
    Stuckey: -15

If you take the best four-player combinations that played more than 20 minutes together:

Wilkins/Russell/Macklin: +18
    Prince/Maxiell/Knight: +14

Interestingly enough, Jerebko was in the top 6 rotations, Stuckey in the top 8.
  9. Whitepine

Whitepine First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Boston Celtics 2013 Free Agency Target No. 2: Detroit Pistons' Austin Daye - Hardwood Houdini - A Boston Celtics Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
    BallDon'tLie and Mogilny like this.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

11. BallDon'tLie

:falloff:
  12. BallDon'tLie

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gotta trade him out of our conference so that we don't get embarrassed when he knocks us out of the playoffs.
  14. BallDon'tLie

...What playoffs?
  15. BillLaimbeer

PLAYOFFS?

16. max

max All-Star

Daye should go to Boston. He has a better chance at PT over there and we can use the space for a new project.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Monroe WILL start most of game s as C, JMax as his backup, or in some games JMax as starting C and Monroe as PF. Drummond? Slava? For 4th q routs. Some 2nd q and 3rd q minutes. Dre's body is not ready to handle most of starting C bullies anyway. SF - Tay - coaches like player like Tay - regardless of fans's opinion. Both starting 5 SG and PG are set in stone and it will remain as long as there is no actual competition for those slots, regardless of perfomance of well-known players.

So - only question mark is PF - and the main headache for coaching staff- The Sauna King, The Swedish King and and The Skinny King will get and burn their chances there. Keep that in mind - at the last resort ist is Tay's spot, he probably licks his chops already, foreseeing all the trouble and his chance :eek: .

Bench - either rookies frustating you with rookie mistakes or simply frustating players.
  18. BillLaimbeer

I'd like to see KG and BoT on the same team. Imagine all the love in the air. You could create a made-for-TV movie and air it on the Lifetime Channel.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation, sorry if its the same one as before - not checking. Just putting one down after watching one game so far.

Start Knight, English, JJ, Monroe, Drummond

2nd unit) Stuckey, Williams, Tay, JMAX, Kravstov

Other player that gets minutes) Daye

Some reasoning) The 2nd unit obviously has 3 guys who have already been on the same unit a lot, so there should be some order out there when our subs come in. The subs should also play good enough D. The first unit - how obvious can you get that Monroe would be better as a power forward, while Drummond is an ideal defensive center? Adding JJ to give a superior rebounding front line means Knight and English can shoot all day from the outside knowing that a lot of carems will come back to our team. This should be enough to open it up some for our bigs to operate under the basket - and you can add JJ to that notion as he would be often cutting or posting against small players than him.

And the 1st unit also has 3 guys who have played on the same unit a lot. Enough continuity in all, just much better than what we have been putting out there. And since we played around 500 ball pretty much the 2nd half of last season, who knows just how much better this rotation can go.
    BallDon'tLie, alexa032 and Mogilny like this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

I really, really like this starting unit.