Rotations - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Might want to add again trying to pair Ben Wallace and Jason Maxiell. As stale as an idea as one could find last season, and one that lost us many games. But going for the most part without an established backup to Tay for so many years, as a franchise mistake, probably can't be beaten in the stupidity department: Especially after Tay went out and JJ did a fine job in replacing him as our starting small forward. We all fell in love with JJ as our small forward. Hustle and rebounding from that position became as expected as August following July. An organization so blind as to not try JJ as Tay's backup when Tay returned needs to be examined for who in management needs serious and immediate replacing.
    The Panda likes this.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Depends on how the team uses his athleticism. After all, we all can't become writers once we retire...consultants, maybe.
    He reminds me of a developing Iguodala, who I might add, was never high on my list concerning the traditional list of super players. But he legitimized his presence when on the floor. He tightened everyone up on the defensive end, and everyone knew, while he was on the court, that the opposition never gained ground. And let us add, that those in his presence never felt cheated.

Wish the best for Daye. Marginal teams like the Pistons (one could estimate that this has always been the case) need administrative leadership that understands the joy of movement. The body as movement. Tremendous strides in training methods have obtained and even excelled individuals to Olympic achievements accumulating in it's motto...Altius, citius, fortius. The base line is all-around athletes, not some mythical re-creation of past achievements. Happenstance, happens to us all. The key is how does one relate to the pieces. Solve that relationship and you have the understanding how Eskimos give many names for that object we call snow.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight
    Stuckey
    Jerebko
    Monroe
    Drummond

This would be my starting lineup if I could pick right now. Lots of size and youth. Play high energy physical basketball and the let the chips fall where they may.
    del, Walter and The Panda like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It ain't gonna be no Irish famine.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Starters:
    PG: BK
    SG: Ken (assuming he has a good training camp, shoots the (expletive) out of the ball, and TAKES the starting SG spot.
    SF: Have a cage match between Jeb, Sing and Middleman; whoever survives - gets the gig. The "hot hand" backs him up.
    PF: G-Money (duh)
    C: Dre Drummond; Welcome to the league young fella. ...no go out there and hold 'Drew Bynum to 20 points.

Backups:
    PG: Stuckey, (Flynn @ 1yr league minimum as 3rd guy)
    SG: Stuckey, T-Will, Middleton, (Singler as a last resort injury fill-in)
    SF: Singler, T-Will, Middleton (we have a grip of "average" SFs)
    PF: Max, Jeb (against smaller/quicker guys)
    C: The "Russian guy", Monroe, FA

Addition by subtraction:
    Tay - traded to contender for 1st rounder and back-up big; thank him for everything and have a "Tayshaun Prince night" in 2020.
    Daye - traded for 2nd rounder
    Maggette - traded for a more "usable" expiring and/or draft picks
    Bynum - traded for draft pick
    CV - I really don't care as long as he's not in a Pistons uniform. I don't really expect Joe to get anything of use for him. Either DNPCD him all year, don't dress him or Amnesty him.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons have to drop two players from their roster very soon.

a) Which two players do you want them to drop?

b) Which two players do you think they will drop?
  7. BallDon'tLie

I don't really want them to drop anyone.
    I want Joe to somehow find a trade partner for some of the dead weight on this team that is clogging up the roster. I want him to turn our garbage into future draft picks. Daye & Bynum are worth a throwaway 2nd rounder from some team. If you can find a team with enough cap space to absorb Tay Prince's deal for a future 1st rounder? book-it! Same with Maggette. (yeah, I realize that this is all pretty far-fetched; ...it's what I "want" though)

What do I think will happen?
    Joe will be unable to turn water into wine and we will simply end up dropping the two training camp signees (Williams & Flynn [not really a big deal I guess...]).
    We'll go into the season with roster comprised of 50% SFs and a bunch of holdovers from the "Turd Years" who still require a certain amount of playing time. We'll waste a half-a-season by giving guys like Prince, Maggette & Maxiell significant minutes in a feeble attempt at fielding a "competitive" (lol) team rather than using this time to establish a new indentity and develop into the "Pistons of the future".

...What do you think Bill?
  8. BillLaimbeer

I'm afraid you are correct for question (b). Joe D will simply release Williams and Flynn.

If I had my way, I would seriously consider both of these guys. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of them, but I like the athleticism and game of both these guys. Daye would be my first cut. That would be a $3 million hit for 1 year. Are these guys better than Will Bynum? If so, you would have to take a $3.5 million hit on him. I don't think you can find trading partners for many of the potato heads on this roster.
  9. BallDon'tLie

There's a small chance that Daye and/or Bynum would get claimed off waivers which would mean that the teams that signed these guys would be paying at least some of their salaries.
    This would help offset the cost of adding Flynn & Williams if that's the direction thay Joe wanted to go.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think well get rid of Daye even if we give up a second rounder unless we take another bad player back. It's amnesty or buyout for that guy and unfortunately I don't see that happening. :cold:
  11. BillLaimbeer

The organization has invested a lot of time watching Daye do push-ups. You simply cannot put a price tag on that.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have only seen Flynn and Williams play once, but agree that they may be an upgrade over both Daye and Bynum. I hate to get rid o Daye, but he has not progressed over stint here and it's time to see if he can flourish (role play) on some other team ala Amir Johnson. Bynum is an enigma....he is fast and can penetrate, but still how many bigger guards blow by him?

I say out with the old and in with the new.....and if the new (Flynn and Williams) don't pan out in the end...play those rookies and make them earn their NBA skills on the job..
  13. BallDon'tLie

Maybe Gores has enough cheddar to convince the league to change the rules to add an extra SF position so teams can play 6 on 6.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still have some faith in Daye.

Height, Rebound rate, block rate, and prior history of being a good shooter are my reasons. He may have fatal flaws, but he's just a unique combination of these things, and I'm not 100% convinced that he's going to be a failure (only 50% convinced).

With Charlie, I'm 95% convinced... although I do still believe that he could be transported back in time to the 1996 Bulls and inserted at starting PF, that they would find a way to still make the playoffs.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Build, Rebound rate. ball control, and prior history of being a bad shooter are my reasons to get rid of the guy. And also him being a mental wreck, his passing, his killer instinct, him playing in the SL as a 9 year vet, him just getting worse every season, his D, him putting the ball on the floor over taking the wide open 3, the Boobie Gibson incident, the pictures of him in the sauna, the planking, the AEGSAGESDGHAERGEAH... I'm actually considering rather having Chaz for the same contract when writing this...

Atleast he won a few accolades:

Half-way Home: Previewing The NBA Anti-Awards | Hickory-High
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His shooting percentage was atrocious last year, but he's clearly not a bad shooter. He shot well in the past and was counted on as our closer for a brief period of time.

Keep in mind that Dennis Rodman was the only player in Pistons history to complete the Kander push-up routine. Daye was on a quest to be the 2nd last year. Shooting accuracy clearly took a backseat to becoming the man that Arnie wants him to be.

Look at the TS% from each season:
    1) .546
    2) .518
    3) .394

Increased playing time wasn't the reason for the crash because he got many more minutes the first 2 years. This is a really strange drop off and you don't often see when not for age or injury reasons.

Daye's rebound rate last year was still higher than Prince's. His block rate was 2nd only to Big Ben's.

All I'm saying is that for a guy with horrific stats, there is more potential than usual (given that he has actually performed at a higher level shooting percentage wise for 2 straight years).
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Daye's height is a negative for him, not a positive.
    KGREG likes this.
  18. BallDon'tLie

Austin Daye needs a fresh start on a new team.
    He needs to get rid of that "deer/headlights" deal that he has goin' on.

...Dude needs to read some Tony Robbins books or something.
    He's pathetic.
  19. BallDon'tLie

I think having a big wussie on your team is better than having a little wussie.
    In my opinion, the size of his body isn't the problem, it's the size of his heart.

Austin Daye is a delicate flower of a basketball player.
    ...He's the exact opposite of Charles Oakley.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is Daye's height that makes him hesitant and passive. He feels like he needs to play like he's 6'11 and it is not him.