1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotations 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it depends on who wins the backup center job between Baynes and Boban. If Baynes sits the bench all year, his demand will be low next summer. Perhaps we trade Meat at the deadline if Boban is getting the backup center minutes.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Langlois made it sound like Rusty Leuer and Ellenson would be playing some C. Maybe neither of the will play? (I expect Baynsey to play. )

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

People always fantasize about this sort of thing. I have never seen it happen.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

I'm not saying I would want this. If Baynes isn't good enough to play this year, what good would re-signing him do for us? I think there is going to be some great competition for minutes this season.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. roscoe36

Even though you're a hick from the South, you're still in my top 10 posters on Pistons Forum Dot Com.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    junior and BillLaimbeer like this.
  6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Baynes fulfilled a desperate need at the time with Monroe gone and Dre still finding himself. Aussies (from many I've know on the athletic side) don't need to be supremely recognized as individualized products burped-out from an American production line (and then becoming an institutional product, via social media); but they do want to be respected as:
    • The only nation-continent of 20 million people in the world
    • The largest Greek population in the world beside Athens in Greece can be found in Melbourne Victoria.
    • The only nation-continent of 20 million people in the world.
    • More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometers of the coast making Australia one of the world's most urbanized coastal dwelling populations.
    • Over 200 different languages and dialects are spoken in Australia including 45 Indigenous languages. The most common non-English spoken languages are Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Arabic, Vietnamese and Mandarin.
    • Australia was the second country in the world to give women the right to vote in 1902
    • The largest cattle station in the world is Anna Creek Station in South Australia at over 34,000 square kilometers is the world's largest cattle station. It is even larger than Belgium.
    • It has the highest rate of gambling in the world with over 80 percent of Australian adults engaging in gambling of some kind and 20 percent of the pokie machines in the world are found in Australia.
    • Canberra was selected as the capital because Sydney and Melbourne could not stop arguing which city should be the capital of Australia.
    • Australians refer to English people as Pome, which is actually the acronym for Prisoners of Mother England.
    • Melbourne topped 140 rivals to be crowned the world's most livable city 2 years in a row since 2011.
    • The only place in the world where you can still find the lung fish which is a living fossil from the Triassic period 350 million years ago.
    • The sports capital of the world has 70 percent of its total population participating at least once a week in a particular recreational activity or sport.
    • Despite having a convict colony history, Australia's homicide rate is 1.2 per 100,000 population compared to the 6.3 per 100,000 in the United States.
    • Australians refer to English people as Pome, which is actually the acronym for Prisoners of Mother England.
    • The largest cattle station in the world is Anna Creek Station in South Australia at over 34,000 square kilometers is the world's largest cattle station. It is even larger than Belgium.
    What a unique place. My first introduction into the heart-land of this country was from American journalists travels (away from traditional geology) was in discovering of what it's like in not being home. It is very much a Tocqueville recognition on how...someway...the journey of human segmentation means life becomes acceptable and everyone is, but a small traveler.
    I am now looking at this book and my map (highlighted route) that I traveled with the author.
    May you enjoy:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Beer-Crocodiles-Australia-Adventure/dp/0792263650

[​IMG]
    large image

[​IMG]
    Koala
    large image

del, The Panda, Walter and 4 others like this.
  7. roscoe36

I have never been to Australia, but I did live in New Zealand for a few years, and it is somewhat similar.

The best things about Australia are @webz@webz and our other PF members from down under, their immigration system, and how many Eve Online players they have.

del and webz like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And that big rock.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you drop Baynes and Blake off our currently listed roster, just happens to be 15 players. Sounds good to me.

Michael Gbinije is a 6 - 7 player originally projected to be a shooting guard in college. He ended up playing a lot of point his last couple of seasons in college basically because of players ahead of him at the position being lost to the team. It is not certain at this point that he will play point in the NBA, at least in reading the scouting reports. Who knows. I do know this though, Dinwiddie is a year younger, has shown some potential as an NBA point. And of course, I will not be missing any games he plays for Chicago.

The intriguing thing about Gbinije, to me, is like SJ, he seems to be a winner, finding a way to pull his team along. Gotta like that sort. And hey, being listed at 6 - 7 can't hurt any; in that regard, he certainly replaces Dinwiddie as a potential pg for us with some height. And yes, I see Gbinije won some defensive player honors. So, if he can actually play NBA point, at least he would then be a 2 way player. (again, like Dinwiddie.)

Lorenzo Brown, a 6 - 5 pg, is another guy who certainly has his work cut out to stick with this roster and get minutes. Watching the summer league, I noted the announcer liked the guy - I did not see anything special about him. Both Brown and Gbinije, along with Hilliard, can be looked as as depth at shooting guard since they got the height at least.

I'd say there are 9 guys certain to be on the roster opening day: Point: Jackson, shooting guard Pope, small forwards Morris, Harris, and SJ, PF's Leuer, Ellenson, C's Boban, Drummond.

Note, while Ish is signed and all, he could always be traded if someone else takes his minutes in camp. Anyway:

From highest to lowest probability that others make opening day roster by position:

Point: Ish, Gibinije, McCallum, Brown

Shooting guard: Bullock, Gibinije, Hilliard, McCallum, Brown

Small forward: Bullock, Hilliard

Power forward:

Center: Baynes

By the above, I'd say Brown is the guy most likely not to hang around for opening day, with McCallum being next in that category.

However, I can see a depth chart that would keep both McCallum and Brown, and drop Baynes:

Possible depth chart by actual use next season:

PG: Jackson, Ish, Brown, McCallum

Shooting guard: Pope, Gibinije, Hilliard, McCallum

Small forward: Harris, SJ, Bullock, Hilliard

Power forward: Morris, Leuer, Ellenson, SJ

Center: Drummond, Boban, Leuer, Ellenson

10. roscoe36

Ellenson needs to put on 50 lbs of muscle before he can dream of spot minutes at C.

11. BillLaimbeer

I think you are correct. If the season would start today, Brown would be the odd man out. Who knows what may happen between now and opening day, though.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to pass some time, I will try a mock matchup between 2 competing possible rotations:

In this corner, wearing White, the rotation of: Start Mr. October, The Pontiff, Toby, Mook, Drums. 2nd unit of Dish, The rook (Gibinije), SJ, Leuer, Bobo.

In the other corner, wearing Blue, the rotation of: Start Mr. October, The Pontiff, SJ, Leuer, Drummond. 2nd unit of Dish, Gibinije, Harris, Morris, Bobo

White gets the ball first, Pope, guarded closely by Pope, misses his 3. Down comes Blue, Jackson to Leuer inside for the bunny with Morris looking on rather helplessly. 2 - 0 Blue.

White goes to Morris for a triple, but Leuer is draped all over him so he passes off to Drummond who is checked by Drummond, so Drummond passes it to Harris, but SJ has him locked up so tight all he can do is try to escape as the 24 second shot buzzes. Down comes Blue, Jackson to SJ who busts a move right thru Harris for the all too easy layin. 4 - 0 Blue.

White is running out of things to try, so Jackson misses a 3. Blue come down, again, Jackson to Leuer inside and its like stealing candy from a baby. 6 -0 Blue.

Clueless coach calls timeout, calls his team out for lack of effort, sends them back in.

Repeat. Its 12 - 0 now, Blue, another timeout.

Coach yanks Morris and Harris for White team, puts in Leuer and SJ to get better defenders in. Blue coach has been matched, but the game is even from there and Blue prevails in the end.

Meantime, in a galaxy far far away in the same game, the coach never made any adjustments and the game is into the 2nd quarter with Blue way, way up and clueless coach not seeming to notice the fact. 2nd units are in.

Ish brings it up for White, drives inside, gets past Morris, but has his shot altered by Bobo who gets the bound. Down comes Blue, Ish to Bobo inside. Bobo defends it pretty good but has no double team help as Harris and Morris are keeping their guys out on the perimeter as each has buried a couple of treys. Bobo manages to score, and makes the and 1 to boot.

White up the floor, Ish to SJ who manages to score on Harris inside, again. Both sides are scoring, but Blue is managing to pad the lead a bit on account of those triples. White coach is pale knowing how badly things are going to go though when the starters all go back in.

In the 2nd half, White coach has finally noticed that Leuer and SJ are doing a lot of scoring, so he quickly moves these two into the starting unit very early in the 3rd quarter when things again are going really badly. But, hey, the other coach already has Leuer and SJ in, and their defense negates their offense, so from there, the game pretty much gets in a quagmire and the 30 point lead Blue enjoys to start the 2nd half never diminishes.

Walter, TheeTFD and BillLaimbeer like this.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

OMG ? !

:cheerleader:
    :good:

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

What on earth....

del and roscoe36 like this.
  15. roscoe36

You don't realize how good you have it.

16. del

del All-Star Forum Donor

I'm glad you like our country @roscoe36@roscoe36, and I'm sorry to let you down and bring a somber mood to this otherwise happy forum, but we have one of the worst records of human rights on treatment of refugees. We have consistently been chastised by the UN for being in breach of international law.

Even just yesterday: The Nauru files: cache of 2,000 leaked reports reveal scale of abuse of children in Australian offshore detention
    The TLDR version: Things are bad, and the government ignores it.

It is one of a couple of things that I am deeply embarrassed about as an Australian.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

There are a lot of things to like about Australia. It is a beautiful country, filled with a lot of really fantastic people. We have awesome beaches, great wine and food, good weather (although bring sunscreen!), very low crime rates, amazing healthcare provided to all, a strong education system and we can dig coal out of the ground like nobody else!

Not included among these fantastic people are the politicians who have constructed laws with the sole purpose of satisfying the lowest common denominator with a vote.

I am all for sovereign border control. I am also for the humane treatment of people. How 300 adults could conspire to lock men, women and children only guilty of being born in the wrong country in abhorrent detention centres in the 3rd world, I do not know. Security arguments can only go so far.

I kind of assumed you were being facetious.

pass99, del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation:

For now.

Start Ish, Pope, Harris, Ellenson, Dre.

2nd unit: Gbinije (BEN) (i - short i) (JAY), SJ, Morris, Leuer, Boban

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

isn't Morris our best shooter for now ?

Mogilny likes this.
  20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Let us start with a most comfortable level: nothing new, but a respect level that was playoff bound.
    The starting five: Ish, Pope, Harris, Morris and Dre.
    Substitutions are everywhere with a titillating mix of 5-4; 4-3-2; and 1-2-3.
    It will take 20 games.
    Happy-ville for me is 50/50 into Dec.

roscoe36 likes this.