Roster size question

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Will we have 14 guys on the playoff roster, or just 12. Obviosly, with the Pistons having so many quality players with them right now, this is going to make a ton of difference as to how much skills they can bring with them into the playoffs. Anyone know for sure?

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

My understanding from what I've read is that we can keep 12 on the playoff roster with 1 on reserve. This reserve can be activated at anytime... I'll see if I can find the original source on this.

See, I can be nice to Lee... when he asked an good question :ohwell:

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Merc...it's a good thing you were nice to Lee because (as posted in the Detnews forum) his cat died a couple of days ago. He posted a message to his cat in hopes that (1) cats go to heaven and (2) when they go to heaven there is internet access. Our thoughts are with you Lee.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Blakely's reply

AS Blakely answered my question, but sounded none too sure about his answer.

He stated as far as he knew, the playoff roster would stay at 12 like last season.

However, he said they were talking about making that 12 players adjustable at the start of each series.

Man, would that make a difference. If we met Indiana, we would have Maxiell activated for sure. Of course, Maxiell might be surprisingly more of a factor this season than people imagine and it might be a no brainer he is on the roster by the playoffs. Who knows.

But then Miami comes up, and for sure you would like to have Hunter activated for that one for depth defensive depth against Wade.

I will definitely ask again. As the whole point of the regular season is to prepare for the playoffs, you would think that a coach would know what he is preparing for, right? Unless this is another issue not quite settled between the union and management.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lee

I think Maxiell COULD be a factor this year and I think the fans are going to love him, but I just don't see how they can fit him in as much as he might deserve on this talent laden roster given the position he plays. :ohwell: We may have to wait on this one a bit.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know about that. I like the fact that you have to set your team before the playoffs starts and go with what you've got. It adds a level of strategy and risk to it.

Obviously it would benefit the Pistons to be able to adjust your roster before each series, but every other pro sport makes you choose your playoff roster ahead of time. If it aint broke...

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Still no answer

I keep trying, but still no response, and nothing anywhere in any FAQ on the CBA. Indeed, most FAQ's are not even updated with the new contract stuff.

People talk a lot about who the last person or so should be on our roster, but what really matters to us Pistons is the playoffs, which we plan to see our team win. But with how many players.

Will we have 12 guys on the playoff roster, or more? If only 12, its going to be awful hard to pick which 12.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lee,
    I agree that finding infomation on the playoff roster limits is as rare as a bald eagle with a mohawk.
    The information I provided earlier (12 active one inactive) came out when the new CBA was released... I haven't been able to locate this article.

Larry Coons is almost done with the new CBA FAQ. (just waiting on a couple questions from the league)... I would expect an update in his document relating to playoff roster size.

A couple of the CBA experts are saying that this piece of info is covered under the new bi-laws... you have to own a NBA team to view these documents.

I did make an inquiry to the NBPA (players association) today... hope to hear back from them soon.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Blakey says its 12. No source, but he did not put any maybe's in his reply

Mercury, I hope this is not true. The Pistons simply have an advantage if they can carry more than 12. They are just that deep. Let me know if you confirm this. Thanks for your time. Note I posted a 12 man playoff roster just now in the rotations thread. I am leaving Mo Evans off. Yep, I really like this guy, but I don't see him as needed as much as the other 12 guys. (Which include Maxiell and Acker.)

10. max

max All-Star

rules

From what I understand the only thing that has really happened is removing the 5 game restriction for the inactive list.

You can still only have 12 players ready to play for each game but now its a game time decision instead of having to declare a player ineligible for 5 games.

Seems to make sense that the playoff roster will stay at 12.

Alomost impossible to predict who will be on that roster. Whole season to determine who comes around and deserves to be on the team.