Rodney Stuckey: Attitude Adjustment

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Im sure Im not the only one here that said it, but a few of us did say that it took chauncey a few years before he " got" it and was comfortable out there. I am not comparing the 2 as floor leaders. But Stuckey is similar to C note in body style, his affinity to get to the line and finish. He may never be a 3 pt threat from deep, but he has gotten better at it. He has his own style and as long as the coaches arent trying to shoehorn him into a different style? he will be very productive. Im happy for him to finally not have a thread every hour started to rip him
    roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We used to hate the way that we were a jump shot happy team. Stuck is not that. And either is our best player, Greg Monroe. So, we have a nice balance now. It's much either to get jump shooters later if you need them than it is to get guys with hard heads AND finishing ability who love to mix it up inside.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

its a nice mix to have...it forces teams to play honest D. As a jump shooting team ? we were guarded straight up and kept to 1 shot and done. As a slashing team we are kept out of the paint by collapsing defenses. but with a nice mix of both and a team phylosiphy of team basketball and willingness to pass, we are able to drive and when teams collapse we can kick it out to the shooters( when they re hitting)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think it would be an even better mix if we could speed up the tempo and get the defenses out of position more often.
  5. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

What's impressed me the most is his efficiency. Averaging 18.5 on 47% shooting over the last ten games is fantastic. He's also getting those points by taking less than 15 shots a game. That's Rip Hamilton glory days efficiency. Getting to the hoop has always been part of his game, but now he's getting to the line. It's not a fluke. Billups made a career of doing that, and it looks like Rod might be able to do the same. I also like the fact that he's been playing some of his best ball to close out games. That, as much as anything, is giving me some confidence that he could be around here for awhile, and be part of a team that's going places. If he can even remotely keep this up, then we're set at two of our three guard spots.

We still need a stone-cold killer who can shoot the heck out of the ball, but I'm loving the Stuckey/Knight tandem.
    linwood likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice assist and block from Stuckey tonight.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Better play cures all ills.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey is a blocking machine.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He almost got a rebound to complete the tripple-single.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Discovered- reason for the attitude adjustment-- he hired a psychologist.

Stuckey's changed attitude helping Pistons rebuild – USATODAY.com

Sounds like he made the right decision and knew that he needed to revisit his mental game.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Anytime someone seeks out help and finds it...........that's a positive.
    I hope Stuckey stays the course and continues to see improvement.
  12. BallDon'tLie

I was able to secure some of the results from Stuck's Rorschach Inkblot test recently administered by his theopist.

[​IMG]

..."ummm, CHARGING foul!"

[​IMG]
    ..."uhhhh, me smashing into Roy Hibbert's chest and not getting a foul call."
    [​IMG]
    ..."Me dribbling with my head down and missing a wide-open Jerebko in the corner."

[​IMG]
    ..."Me dribbling with my head down again and missing a dump-off to Greg Monroe for an easy layup."

[​IMG]

..."Oh, this one's easy. Me bricking a wide-open jumper."
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

45% shooting this year, 37% from three, gets to the line constantly. The kid did all right this past summer.
  14. Nemo

Those Inkblot cards need their own thread.
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

Hey guys, what's up.

Thing about Stuck is that this is his first year with a stable coach. He has a chance to really grow and develop now. Having him, Knight and Monroe as core starters developing together, along with JJ, and having Tay and Maxiell being better players with the organizational and coaching stability - well, that's allowed Stuckey to really take off.

I think we're seeing the development of a kid, still 25, who could legitimately be a multiple time all-star. He's not and never will be Dwayne Wade superstar quality, but he can be one of the better players in the league for a long time - a top 10-20 guy.
    Mogilny likes this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

Hi Brap. Good to hear from you!
    :yo:

Sorry, There isn't enough LSD in the world to help me conjur up a hallucination where Rodney Stuckey is a top-20 player in the NBA.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm on LSD right now, and I can't see Rod in the top 20. That squirrel with a handgun is freaking me out, man!
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll give Rodney a lot of credit for improving his shot. I'll never understand why professional basketball players sometimes decide, a few years into their career, to work on their shot. Seems like you could devote some time to that all along.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Heyya Brap!

I think what really helped Stuckey is that this is his first year with a stable PG (other than his rookie year). I think that Stuckey can develop into a player that puts up all-star numbers, but he won't ever get that nod. All-stardom relies only on you reputation, and that solely relies on what you do in the league the first few years. I think Stuckey has built that "solid player who is an almost all-star". Sort of like Luis Scola.

To be honest, if the only thing he does is keep up his current level of play, I'd be happy. So long as we are winning, I don't care if he ever gets to the all-star game.
  20. Nemo

I've eaten 12 White Castles, drank 2 Nu-Grape pops, ate a bag of Dorito's and the only thing making me sick is the talk of Stuckey in the top 20...........:puke:
    linwood likes this.