Rip gone?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He may still nix the waiving of Rip.

basketbills likes this.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

IMO - Rip gets calls from contenders already - leave from Pistons and your title chance is right here with 2year 16 mil or so deal.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Dan Gilbert has a word document already saved in case this happens. He just needs to copy and paste it into an e-mail.

coynejeremy and basketbills like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm gonna wish Rip well in his new endeavour. He did well during the championship run.
    My guess is that he has the same level of success as Billups had when he left.
    He should fare much better tha Ben Wallace when he defected.

It certainly was time for him to go though...........

5. Brap

Brap Starter

Rip gone is a great development. This could turn Gordon immediately into a valuable player again. In the near term, the way our team is currently constructed, we'll be lining up Knight and Stuckey as starting guards (after a period, perhaps, where Stuckey and Gordon start) with Gordon off the bench as our Vinny Johnson clone. We might also have Bynum for depth. When Bynum is healthy - which is almost never - he's shown he can be dynamic. Personally, I see us moving him on sooner or later, since it's hard to have Bynum and Gordon in the same lineup due to their both being small for their position.

Rip's departure might open up minutes for Daye. I totally see why the Pistons resigned Tay - we need one veteran on this team who knows how to play, and signing him to a reasonably small contract makes him tradeable at any time. But how does this impact Daye and Jerebko? Daye will get some minutes at SF, PF (with certain matchups) and SG. However, Jerebko has to get his minutes too - and my biggest question is whether his best position is SF. If so, Daye might get squeezed out - UNLESS Gordon is traded, opening up room for Daye at SG.

The team still isn't balanced, and I doubt JD is done tinkering with the roster.

Personally, what I'd like to see happen is Gordon traded for a defend the rim C or PF to team with Monroe, Daye playing all his minutes as the 3rd guard - which would totally work in a rotation with Stuckey and Knight, and Jerebko getting 15 to 20 minutes a game at SF and 10 minutes a game at PF, backing up the guy we trade Gordon for. Daye at SG would give other teams matchup nightmares, and would make us a much better rebounding team. Also, it would get rid of the awfulness Gordon gives us defensively at any position. At least Daye has great height and length.

max likes this.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

What is the final deadline for once in a liftime amnesty clause? I'm sure our new coach wants to give to everyone a chance ....

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Based on my math (which sucks) we owed Rip a minimum of $18-$19 Mill, about $9-$10 Mill for this year (based on a pro-rated amount for $$$ missed during the lockout) and the $9 Mill for next season we owe if we waived him.

So let's just say we moved Rip for about Half of that amount, that means the cap hit on our books is only about $5 Mill for this year and next year. I am certain that Rip can go to any one of his suitors and get an MLE deal, which would means that he's still in the same shape financially somewhere else as he would have been here, and he gets a chance to win. Win-Win.

8. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Thank u to all my Detroit fans. Love all of u. U will always have a special place in my heart. Yessssssirrrrr" - Richard Hamilton, via Twitter.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

With JJ back, I don't want to see Daye playing a single minute at the 4. He's strictly a 3. Just because he can shoot the ball doesn't mean he's an SG either. No sir, Daye's primary competition is with Jerebko for Tay's backup minutes. The only scenario I see with Daye playing SG is if we don't sign Stuckey. Then you'll need a bigger guard than Gordon to pair up with Bynum.

I think we should just ship Daye and Bynum out of town for a serviceable big. Bynum is what he is, and he'll generate interest. And Daye's stock is quite high right now; people haven't realized yet that he'll be a perennial rookie like Stuckey.

11. Walter

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Lets hope that Russian team which cut him after a couple of games don't tell anyone.

13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

great, but why is Tay still on board?? Buser says it all: [
    Re-signed Tayshaun Prince
    - Joe Dumars proves that loyalty isn’t always a good thing. Unless a surprise trade emerges - Kaman was the obvious choice until the Clips signed Butler - then we’re stuck watching promising youngsters Daye and Jerebko fight for minutes behind the marginally-impactful veteran. This one is a real head-scratcher.
    Buser
    ]

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sad the old Rip is gone. Really happy the Rip of the last two years is gone.

S.J., Walter, del and 1 other person like this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, the Rip of the last two years was still our per minute scoring leader, so this will still change the dynamics on the court significantly.

The cutback in minutes made it look like he was digressing, but really, he was the same old Rip. His per minute scoring average has been within a narrow range for his entire career in Detroit. Last year's was higher than the Championship year slightly. I'd say that the main way that he got worse was in his shooting percentage, and that directly correlated with the team losing it's point guard and replacing CB with 50 per cent Stuckey.

A mid range jump shooter that depends on running through screens to get a fraction of a second open really has no place on our team right now. For the last 3 years, Rip has had to do much more "creating his own shot" or forcing up shots when contested. Sure, his bad attitude came out a bit, but take the above and mix in Allen Iverson, small ball, the Ben Gordon signing, MC and Q-ster, and you have a pretty miserable situation all around.

I'm looking forward to watching Rip have a few more good years. Hopefully he can be a key component and help the Bulls beat the Heat.

Stat: 2011/ Career ave (per 36)
    Pts: 18.7/ 19.3
    FG%: .429/ .450
    3P%: .382/ .347
    Reb: 3.0/ 3.5
    Ast: 4.1/ 3.8
    Stl: 0.9/ 0.9
    TO: 2.3/ 2.8
    PF: 2.3/ 2.8

His total points produced stayed the same when you factor in assists. While his assists were up, his turnovers were down, so he did a decent job in helping to fill the PG vacuum. Steals the same (consistent effort). He attempted more 3's and shot them at a higher percentage last year- .382 is actually a pretty nice average. He's no Matt Booner (.457), but still pretty good.

16. Walter

I think Rip will do great in Chicago.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm interested to see how Chicago works Rip into their offense.
    You gotta admit, Rip is a unique player and his skill set demands unique offensive sets to get him his shots. I'm looking forward to seeing someone else (besides the Pistons for a change) run the picket fence for 8-10 seconds of shot clock so Rip can hoist a 18 footer.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rose seems like just the kind of guy happy to stand around dribbling while Rip does his screen thing. Rip could fit in as long as he's willing to run though.

19. Walter

Rip will probably get lots and lots of wide open looks there without running like a maniac. Rose demands a double-team, and both Deng and Boozer are capable scorers. The opposing teams can't slack on the post defense to cover the perimeter because of Boozer and Noah. The addition of Rip really makes Chicago a very dangerous (and balanced) team. Besides, both Noah and his backup Asik set pretty good screens.

The reason why our offense looked like everybody's waiting for Rip to get open is because Rip has been our #1 scoring option. The teams knew that the goal was to get the ball to Rip at every posession. At Chicago he'll be the 4th scoring option. He'll do his running around, but the primary goal would be not to score but confuse the defense to get someone else a good shot.

He has the potential to make Chicago a very very good team.

linwood likes this.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree.
    Even with Jake Voskuhl, It will be tough for the Pistons to compete with the Bulls for the Central Division title this year.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.