Report: Hall of Famer Cowens to join Pistons staff

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What was Cowen's flaw as a coach? I remember that he didn't have a successful coaching stint. I had thought it was just a no win situation for him but I also read that he wasn't very good. Anyone with insight?
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Flip is willing to let Porter and Cowens show their methods to help this Piston team we have one of the best coaching staffs in the league again. Usually assistant coaches won't make a huge difference, but after the way Flip got thrown under the bus at the end of last season he's probably willing to let Porter/Cowens help Flip to coach this team better.

This can really work out, or not work out. Lets say you were tied together with 2 other people. If all 3 of you disagreed and were unwilling to listen to each other you'll end up with a pretty bad life. On the other hand if you were paired up with 2 other people who could help you get better at what you're bad at etc. you would have a better life than you would by yourself.

So either all 3 coaches disagree and this season turns into a complete mess, or all 3 coaches work together to make every part of this team better to make this team title contenders, and possibly a title winner.
  4. roscoe36

I like that the Pistons are assembling an All-Star Coaching staff, but seriously folks, why not bring back the best Hallway Coach for the job?

[​IMG]
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

According to Charlie Rosen Dave Cowens is the all time dirtiest player in the history of the nba.:eyebrows: I like the move maybe it will make this team tough again.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Let me get this straight:

worst WNBA coach in the league is good enough for the Piston's staff, but the best WNBA coach isn't? I don't get it.

I agree Roscoe, bring back the Gar!
  7. roscoe36

If you consider, Cowens and Porter make our coaching staff 100 times better. I don't know Don Zierden's credentials, but Sidney Lowe was a very, very bad NBA coach.

Now we have guys with as much experience as the players talking to them between whistles.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cowens was an NBA assistant coach for 3 seasons and has been a head coach for 3 NBA teams over 6 seasons.

Laimbeer has been an NBA head coach for 0 games. Laimbeer has served as an NBA assistant coach for 0 games. As far as I know, Laimbeer has never even applied for any NBA coaching position.

What's not to get?
  9. roscoe36

I agree. You better not try to jump into the NBA without paying your dues first, BillLaimbeer.
  10. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

That last sentence says it all. You can bet that JD got these guys for just that very reason. They have had their last run with arrogance and its time for piston basketball.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

If Cowens was successful, it doesn't seem like he would have coached 3 NBA teams over 6 seasons. I actually don't know too much about the guy, but I did read the article about his WNBA team, which was terrible. The article mentioned that the WNBA players require quite a bit of structure and discipline, which is exactly what the Pistons need (in my opinion).

By your logic, there would be NO NBA head coaches, because unless you already are one, you are not qualified to be one. I don't get that either. :rolleyes:
  12. BillLaimbeer

No, I think you have to pay your dues as an assistant before you can become an NBA head coach. Bill Laimbeer has no interest in becoming an NBA assistant coach.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ok, I get that. I don't know if I agree with you about having to be an assistant first, but I understand your position. If it's true that he isn't interested in an assistant position, thats too bad. I think he would be an excellent NBA coach.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

:bs:

I think you're makin up your own rules. Laimbeer has had a successful head coaching experience in the WNBA and knows FAR more about the NBA than punks like Skiles.

Laimbeer knows the players and preaches the defensive mindset that got us a title in 04. I would take Laimbeer over Flip in a heartbeat.
  15. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Cowen's who?well he may be a good player at his time and made a name for coaching.but what i think is inorder for the pistons to get the championship is they dont need a high octane scoring..what they need is there same blue collar effort day inn day out.And please sheed please step up man!!
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Seems like you have a dislike for Skiles, he`s not one of my favorite people either, however, he did have a successful NBA career and is doing well as an NBA coach.

He also started off as an assistant with the Phoenix Suns on Danny Ainges` staff. I don`t think he learned anything from him though!!:sssh:

A nice trivia fact about Skiles is; he once had 30 asst in a game for the Orlando Magic, that has yet to be broken!

Let`s see what Scotty does this year with Ben and very high expectations.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Actually, I like Skiles, he's a fellow Spartan and has done pretty well with da Bulls. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Flip also.

My 'punk' reference is that I don't think he's anywhere near Laimbeer's NBA experience level.
  18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

We are talking coaching experience correct? NBA coaching experience that is.

Lambieer has none.........he has 2 championships, however, those ships as a player doesn`t mean squat as a coach.............
  19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I am intruiged by Laimbeer. It was hard to argue for him last year -- you don't let a rookie coach a contender, right? Well, now that we're not much of a contender anymore, this would have been a good year to give him a go.

Anyways, I don't normally think you need to have been a great player to get respect from your players -- neither Riley, Daly or Brown, 3 of the all-time greats, had significant NBA careers. You just have to know the game and know how to handle people (great that our guy knows neither!). But in Laimbeer's case and on this team, I think playing experience could have helped with the bunch we had last year -- it's hard to tune out a guy who won two in this very building and whose number is up there on the rafters. Laimbeer seems to have potential, and Daly was always very high on Laimbeer's ability to see the game as a whole.
  20. BillLaimbeer

I still think the Pistons are a contender.